All things Dundee FC

Where does McGowan fit in if every one is available?

The simple answer to that is he starts and Ross/Low/Ferry drop out.

Anyway do you really think Hartley wants to be on the touch line listening to McGowan moaning to get on for 60/70 mins?

McGowan has got to be a starter.

On the Greg Stewart thing last pre season I honestly didn't think he would even get a game the Cowdenbeath fans were the ones who rated him. Pre season friendlies count for f**k all look at the likes of Jan Zemlik, Carlo Monti, Luka Tankulic.

I don't recall slating Stewart, I did however think he was a squad player at best and he had very little impact from the bench initially. Think most honest Dundee fans will admit the same?

My general thought was we had signed him before the budget was really known and he had been superseded (before even playing) by our other business....

I agree with this about Stewart being signed before we knew our budget hence why he was offered a longer contract with a pay rise as well,

Genuinely think McGowan will struggle to get in the team this season. At this point in time I place Thomson, low, Harkins, ross and even ferry ahead of him

Away and don't talk shite. Best midfielder we've had in years.

Glad you're on here. Match reports are excellent.

But our social media output could be much better, IMO. Particularly when the majority of fans we want to attract (young kids, teenagers) are all over this kind of thing. The club twitter and official website should be advertising the new kit in its header not pics of some guys at the pitch invasion after the Dumbarton game, as an example. Very regular updates/features should be easy, they happen, but not enough. Compared to other clubs our twitter/facebook is poor.

United have a social media manager. Not sure the club realise how important this part of the business is. It's vital these days. I know we had the brilliant SuperTommy for a while but he seems to have disappeared judging by recent live updates on the site.

I'm not alone in thinking this. Hope you can pass it on to those in charge of such things. There are plenty willing to take over.

Tommy has been full time with the club since the beginning of last season. He's Head of Media & Press Relations. However, the outward facing stuff is the smaller part of his work now. He's very busy with technology on the coaching side now.

I think the club Facebook page has improved a lot, and especially on match days. Twitter maybe doesn't get the attention it requires. Kenny Ross does the live updates, and it's a thankless job I hate on the rare occasion I have to fill in. Kenny does it far better than I do. It's a fair point about the banner dating back to the pitch invasion though.

As for United... I've said enough about them.

Where does McGowan fit in if every one is available? (Granted that always won't be the case) my midfield 3 would be Thomson harkins and either low/ross any day of the week.

I'll cheerfully admit I haven't a clue what our best midfield should be. I could name our best four, or five, midfielders but the real challenge is setting up the most effective, balanced midfield from the players available. That depends on the striker(s) and defence. I'd just be guessing. I'm a clueless amateur, and someone like Hartley (or any Premiership manager) knows things about the game that are just unknown unknowns to someone like me.

Correct regarding pre season. Super tommys 20 pound bet on carlo monti being top goal scorer...

In fairness, Tommy was getting odds of something like 50/1, so it looked an attractive punt.

Slight exageration there. He is good, but he is massively over-rated by some sections of our support.

We'll have to disagree then. His performance in the Derby we won was genuinely one of the best I've ever seen.

Slight exageration there. He is good, but he is massively over-rated by some sections of our support.

Agree with this. I like him, his work rate is unrivalled in our squad. But he's replaceable.

Thought jmac was looking for stability.....

Wish him all the best, one of my favourite players from our championship stint.

Instrumental in our championships p league win, never more so than his injury time brace at Raith - some bounce that day and the day I knew we could win the league.

https://youtu.be/rclCkKzuRHo

The fucking scenes!

Edited by Deefiant

Tommy has been full time with the club since the beginning of last season. He's Head of Media & Press Relations. However, the outward facing stuff is the smaller part of his work now. He's very busy with technology on the coaching side now.

I think the club Facebook page has improved a lot, and especially on match days. Twitter maybe doesn't get the attention it requires. Kenny Ross does the live updates, and it's a thankless job I hate on the rare occasion I have to fill in. Kenny does it far better than I do. It's a fair point about the banner dating back to the pitch invasion though.

As for United... I've said enough about them.

Take your point on match-reports, but there's absolutely no denying our website and 'fan app' are shockingly ineffective vehicles for communication. Social media is a different thing all together — there should be someone doing this full-time if we're actually looking to grow our fanbase. We shouldn't be looking at what other SPFL clubs are doing, we should be looking down South to see how the bigger clubs are doing it (cheaply, too).

On the other side, it's not long ago we were in the doldrums of Scottish football, so this sort of thing comes with time.

This. He's absolutely brilliant BUT he's far from the best we've had in years. He isn't even the best we have now. He's a starter for me, every day of the week, but that's purely for his work rate, aggression and sheer wanting to win. He's a talented footballer, but is nowhere near technically as gifted as others in our midfield.

One thing I've noticed about McGowan is he's reluctant to have a shot at goal. And if he does it usually ends up in the stands. And if someone else has a shot at goal he screams at them for not passing to him.

Who's better than him in our current midfield? Thomson, arguably yes, but you won't get a full season of games out of him. Harkins? Technically better but as before, you won't get a full season of games out of him. McGowan would run through a brick wall for the team, while also being ridiculously consistent with his performances. Screw the lot of you. :angry::P

I agreed with you Donnie. He's very important to our midfield (and team as a whole). He isn't the best midfielder we've had in years though! I think Low has been brought in to show McGowan he has to screw the nut. Any more shite and he's quite easily dropped and replaced.

I think McGowan is the best midfielder we have at the moment. If he could grab a few goals he would be amazing but those kind of players are like gold dust. A lot of fans get a bricker about Thomson but he has scored 6 goals in 12 years!

Thomson isn't a goal scoring midfielder so that argument is invalid.