All things Dundee FC

It's strange how many football fans don't seem to be able to grasp that you can get promoted, win cups etc (Davidson) and still be a clueless manager who is totally underperforming. 
It's like somebody at work who only just scrapes their minimum target while everyone else in the same department is totally blowing the targets away feeling aggrieved at being the first out of the door.
Being realistic about it, there was absolutely no excuse for any manager NOT getting Dundee promoted from the Championship in two seasons given their resources. It was a bare minimum expectation. The fact we finished so far adrift of Hearts and made no title challenge whatsoever is what McPake should really be judged on, not the fact we got into a bit of a run late on and came up against the worst Killie side in 25 years. HIs overall record is shockingly poor, it's silly to let a lucky promotion via the Playoffs cloud the fact that he's been piss-poor right from the day he was hired, has shown no growth whatsoever as a manager, and has taken until February/March in both his full seasons in charge to figure out how to get his side playing. Yet again, that's something else I gave for a reason for punting him at the close of last season. If this year followed suit and it took him until near the league split to get us playing consistently then we'd already be functionally relegated by that point in the season. And here we are...

I suppose it also works that you can have a shite run of results, appear to be making no progress yet behind the scenes the board/CEO can see that good things are happening - eg Alex Ferguson at Man U. I fucking detest McPake, never wanted him appointed but a case could be made that progress was happening over the second of last season. We could have been promoted the season before, through the play offs, had the season been allowed to finish. Chopping managers every 6 months isn’t the way forward either.
Halfway through this season we’ve made no improvement, gone backwards in fact, and the cunto should have been punted well before the window opened.

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

Now I thought I was in the minority thinking this. Even getting us promoted I wanted him out. However majority came back with ... how can you sack someone who has did there job in getting us promoted etc. This argument was fairly full on. 

Now we have every c**t n there dog wanting McPake out and we aren't even bottom and could easy move up the league if scores were to go our way ( yes I hear the laughing ). I genuinely don't understand some people thinking however granted good to have different opinions.

I didnt watch the game yesterday ( thank f**k) . Where did Mulligan play and how he do ? The keeper how did he do ? 

42 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's strange how many football fans don't seem to be able to grasp that you can get promoted, win cups etc (Davidson) and still be a clueless manager who is totally underperforming. 

It's like somebody at work who only just scrapes their minimum target while everyone else in the same department is totally blowing the targets away feeling aggrieved at being the first out of the door.

Being realistic about it, there was absolutely no excuse for any manager NOT getting Dundee promoted from the Championship in two seasons given their resources. It was a bare minimum expectation. The fact we finished so far adrift of Hearts and made no title challenge whatsoever is what McPake should really be judged on, not the fact we got into a bit of a run late on and came up against the worst Killie side in 25 years. HIs overall record is shockingly poor, it's silly to let a lucky promotion via the Playoffs cloud the fact that he's been piss-poor right from the day he was hired, has shown no growth whatsoever as a manager, and has taken until February/March in both his full seasons in charge to figure out how to get his side playing. Yet again, that's something else I gave for a reason for punting him at the close of last season. If this year followed suit and it took him until near the league split to get us playing consistently then we'd already be functionally relegated by that point in the season. And here we are...

I’m firmly in you boy’s camp as well. Should’ve been replaced in the summer. I can’t get my head around what’s going on right now. Are we just going down without a fight? Signing players not immediately available and no defenders 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last season if we’re honest with ourselves we played well for about 12 games and just happened to be the most important time of the season. 

18 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Chopping managers every 6 months isn’t the way forward either.

Totally, but what's worse is appointing a clown in the first place, and what's even worse than that is appointing a clown and then giving him years in charge before you admit the mistake and punt him.

I get why Nelms and Co seem to have a hard on for McPake. The club stood by him through his injury, he seems to be popular around the place, has a good reputation for his work with the youngsters, but... He has never at any point had the look or feel of a legit 1st team manager. Some appointments are just baffling and make you wonder what on earth those in charge actually see in the candidate. Sometimes you get the impression that ex-players are appointed to management positions based on their former ability to kick a ball rather than actually manage a team of players doing so, and despite whatever McPake's qualities are that convinced those in charge to give him the managers' job, I can't for the life of me see what it is they see in him that they believe makes him suited to the role. He isn't particularly charismatic, doesn't come across as a particularly novel or nuanced thinker, doesn't articulate himself well in interviews, and the product on the pitch doesn't do anything to convince you that he's contributing anything more than selecting a line-up and letting them do their thing. So again, what is it that makes the Dens upper management believe in him? His presentation at interview? If what we've witnessed for the past 2.5 years is anything close to the plan he laid out then you have to wonder what the f**k they are smoking.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Totally, but what's worse is appointing a clown in the first place, and what's even worse than that is appointing a clown and then giving him years in charge before you admit the mistake and punt him.

I get why Nelms and Co seem to have a hard on for McPake. The club stood by him through his injury, he seems to be popular around the place, has a good reputation for his work with the youngsters, but... He has never at any point had the look or feel of a legit 1st team manager. Some appointments are just baffling and make you wonder what on earth those in charge actually see in the candidate. Sometimes you get the impression that ex-players are appointed to management positions based on their former ability to kick a ball rather than actually manage a team of players doing so, and despite whatever McPake's qualities are that convinced those in charge to give him the managers' job, I can't for the life of me see what it is they see in him that they believe makes him suited to the role. He isn't particularly charismatic, doesn't come across as a particularly novel or nuanced thinker, doesn't articulate himself well in interviews, and the product on the pitch doesn't do anything to convince you that he's contributing anything more than selecting a line-up and letting them do their thing. So again, what is it that makes the Dens upper management believe in him? His presentation at interview? If what we've witnessed for the past 2.5 years is anything close to the plan he laid out then you have to wonder what the f**k they are smoking.

Very well put. Sums up the whole shit show in a nutshell.

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Crawford said:

So, the whole window we have seen 2 extensions and one signing that we can't have for half a year?

Is that right?

That is 'an disaster'.

Jay Chapman as well who arrived in the UK this morning.

13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Enjoying the sights of Edinburgh I see via his Instagram, must be strange seeing some culture after living in the States.

he'll be ok if he sticks to our waterfront and gets blindfolded on his way to and from dens.

Danny Mullen has regressed back to the absolutely criminally shite striker we seen for 90% of last season. Griffiths has to start midweek. I'm afraid simply running about isn't going to get any credit from me. 

Yesterdays match was fucking awful. Booed off when you win is a sign the fans aren't happy. 

Elliot was so bad that he should never pull on a Dundee top again. 

Shocking display.

Thank you.

As for Mulligan - an absolutely rancid showing. 

I did say the other week he would be much better being left out on loan at Peterhead than thrown into a team scrapping to stay in the league whilst playing woeful football. 

However, he should be starting at right back on Wednesday due to the sheer incompetence of Elliot yesterday, 

Thank you.

https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/jason-leaves-the-club/
Cummings has left to join Central Coast Mariners as expected.

Jason signed for the club just under a year ago and scored 14 times in 36 appearances during his time at the Kilmac Stadium.

I know I wasn’t his greatest supporter but 14 goals in 36 appearances, a lot from the bench, is not too shabby.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Jason signed for the club just under a year ago and scored 14 times in 36 appearances during his time at the Kilmac Stadium.

I know I wasn’t his greatest supporter but 14 goals in 36 appearances, a lot from the bench, is not too shabby.

If we didn't have Charlie Adam (who we rightfully built the team around) AND had a manager that could put two strikers on the pitch that doesn't require said striker playing on the wing then he'd have been a good player for us. As it is, he was a bit of a waste of a wage.

Hopefully his wage can now be put towards a decent CH.