All things Dundee FC

48 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Didn't find a club for 3 years after leaving us :lol: 

Aye, then he popped up in the Finnish 2nd tier last year for a season, and blamed his absence on his agent for sabotaging his career or something of the sort. Some guy lol

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Kallman?

So many random players from that time.

Would have Källman back in a heartbeat now mind, came onto a game since and now plays in Poland and is a Finland NT regular.

32 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Would have Källman back in a heartbeat now mind, came onto a game since and now plays in Poland and is a Finland NT regular.

I thought he looked pretty raw with us, he had something about him. I would've liked to have kept him.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

It was Madianga I was thinking of. All 3 more or less disappeared without trace. Makes you wonder what was going on………

Most of them were just paid up and left.....supposedly anyway....always seemed odd to me to be paying them off.

For instance Mendy signed a 2 year deal. Did we really pay him up 18 months? or a lump sum. Was there a "if yer shite" clause, we can get rid of you"?

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

It was Madianga I was thinking of. All 3 more or less disappeared without trace. Makes you wonder what was going on………

Always felt McCann went in with the Jim McLean method of, 'you'll do it my way or you won't be at the club' and that just didn't wash with todays footballer plus it's not as if he's exactly got the presence to carry it off.

I absolutely loved his no holds barred attitude and he was attempting to cultivate a 'Dundee vs the world' mantra that the most successful managers have done such as Mourinho & Ferguson. I loved how he wouldn't give opposition managers an inch which led to him running rings round the fat grass. As said though, too many players can't cope with that style of management so what was McCann's resolution? Bin the lot and bring in guys from abroad that he can mould into exactly as he wanted.

Individually, I think most were talented and had potential but you can't make sweeping changes like that with guys that didn't know Scottish football and expect them to play to a rigid passing style of football. I think if he'd signed a couple per season whilst keeping the current players onside he'd have been much more successful. Individually, I don't think there was a lot wrong with Madianga, Ngwatala, Nabi etc, just all being blooded in at once was an absolute disaster.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Always felt McCann went in with the Jim McLean method of, 'you'll do it my way or you won't be at the club' and that just didn't wash with todays footballer plus it's not as if he's exactly got the presence to carry it off.

I absolutely loved his no holds barred attitude and he was attempting to cultivate a 'Dundee vs the world' mantra that the most successful managers have done such as Mourinho & Ferguson. I loved how he wouldn't give opposition managers an inch which led to him running rings round the fat grass. As said though, too many players can't cope with that style of management so what was McCann's resolution? Bin the lot and bring in guys from abroad that he can mould into exactly as he wanted.

Individually, I think most were talented and had potential but you can't make sweeping changes like that with guys that didn't know Scottish football and expect them to play to a rigid passing style of football. I think if he'd signed a couple per season whilst keeping the current players onside he'd have been much more successful. Individually, I don't think there was a lot wrong with Madianga, Ngwatala, Nabi etc, just all being blooded in at once was an absolute disaster.

Good summary Ludo but I think the bit I highlighted was definitely McCann’s biggest downfall.  It takes a fair degree of skill, and a significant amount of training, to play a true passing game.  

I got the feeling players were scared to take the chance of a killer pass in case they lost possession.  This resulted in numerous meaningless passes until the opposition chose to close us down.  Usually ended up with a big punt up the park or losing possession in our own half.

I think it may have been under McCann (possibly Hartley?) that Bain ended up arguing with someone in the derry.  The guy had shouted to stop passing around at the back and Bain was trying to explain that he was being told not to punt it long while pointing at the Dundee bench.

McCann struck me as someone who knows how he wants football to be played (who doesn’t?) but didn’t have the common sense to know that it was just not going to happen with the players he had at his disposal.

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Good summary Ludo but I think the bit I highlighted was definitely McCann’s biggest downfall.  It takes a fair degree of skill, and a significant amount of training, to play a true passing game.  

I got the feeling players were scared to take the chance of a killer pass in case they lost possession.  This resulted in numerous meaningless passes until the opposition chose to close us down.  Usually ended up with a big punt up the park or losing possession in our own half.

I think it may have been under McCann (possibly Hartley?) that Bain ended up arguing with someone in the derry.  The guy had shouted to stop passing around at the back and Bain was trying to explain that he was being told not to punt it long while pointing at the Dundee bench.

McCann struck me as someone who knows how he wants football to be played (who doesn’t?) but didn’t have the common sense to know that it was just not going to happen with the players he had at his disposal.

The bizarre thing about  Bain arguing with someone in the crowd in the Derry was that same person was on Twitter saying to get off the players back 😂 Bain was 100% in the right. 

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I thought they were all half decent too but McCann gave up on them and they’ve all managed the square root of fuckall since they left. 
I still like McCann and looking back, although I was probably amongst the most vociferous of his critics, I wish we’d kept him, gone down and given him another crack. He’s got all the tools bar experience. 

34 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

The bizarre thing about  Bain arguing with someone in the crowd in the Derry was that same person was on Twitter saying to get off the players back 😂 Bain was 100% in the right. 

Bain got some hellish treatment. I remember at an away game at the the Steading he got the most ridiculous abuse. Decent keeper, both him and Siegrist wasted at Parkhead although I see Benjy has boogered off to Australia chasing love. 

Jacob Jones, the trialist LB against Brechin, was in action in Northern Ireland last night. He's now on trial with Kilmarnock and featured in a 1-0 defeat against Glentoran.

For those who don't have DeeTV, Brechin have uploaded their highlights to Vimeo on Hedge TV.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jacob Jones, the trialist LB against Brechin, was in action in Northern Ireland last night. He's now on trial with Kilmarnock and featured in a 1-0 defeat against Glentoran.

Ah well, guess we won't see how he gets on in future pre-season games! Was a bit too sloppy in fairness for a purported first-team candidate, all the best to him in finding a club. At least we'll always have that free kick.

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

For those who don't have DeeTV, Brechin have uploaded their highlights to Vimeo on Hedge TV.

Ah well, guess we won't see how he gets on in future pre-season games! Was a bit too sloppy in fairness for a purported first-team candidate, all the best to him in finding a club. At least we'll always have that free kick.

Good man Ross 👍

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Much better than deetv, makes a big difference having crowd noise, make a bit of atmosphere