All things Dundee FC

3 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Surely 3-5-2 is a busted flush against the OF by now. Ive only watched highlights from yesterday so far, but it seems we get played straight through every time we try this. Would we not be better trying a 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1 and having a bit more dig in the middle of the park

Formations are just basic templates. How they are implemented is the important part. 

So, 352 can be effective at stopping the opposition playing through central areas.  Scotland changed to 352 from 3421 against Spain to stop central attacks after 20 minutes in the October game.

We had to tweak it slightly in the 1st half to bring Ryan Christie a little bit closer to Lyndon Dykes because the Spanish were trying to play through the middle, through the middle, through the middle. I thought we coped with that quite well.

Steve Clarke

Spoiler

image.png.8a7fac47c252cf7e80d037294a45a7e5.png

532 becomes 442 if a wing back joins midfield, seen at Scotland (Robertson). Four across the middle can provide defensive width or protect the centre depending how narrow or 'compact' the team's defensive shape is. The narrowness of the defensive block is more important in terms of stopping teams playing through you. Any formation can be narrow.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Formations are just basic templates. How they are implemented is the important part. 

352 can be effective at stopping the opposition playing through central areas.  Scotland changed to 352 from 3421 against Spain to stop central attacks after 20 minutes in the October game to stop Spain playing through us. 

532 can become 442/4411 if a wing back joins the midfield, again seen at Scotland (Robertson). Four across the middle can provide defensive width or protect the centre depending how narrow or 'compact' the team's defensive shape is.

it's not too important to be fixated on the shape imo because it's just a general template. The Narrowness of your defensive block is more important in terms of stopping teams playing through you. Any formation can be narrow.

Thanks for that lesson in this footerball thing😎

So let’s exclude formation pish, what I’m getting at is we need two central mids, at least one of whom is just breaking shit up, when we play teams with higher level squads 

42 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Thanks for that lesson in this footerball thing😎

So let’s exclude formation pish, what I’m getting at is we need two central mids, at least one of whom is just breaking shit up, when we play teams with higher level squads 

Exactly it wasn’t a day for both Cameron and McCowan together, one of them probably Cameron shouldve made way for either Mulligan or Silah 

I get the comments from lots of Dees that our season won't be defined by results against the erse cheeks but I have to say I'm getting sick to the back teeth of the constant doings we've been getting from them for years. I know we're a million miles away from them financially but when Killie and the Fermers are giving them a game then how the feck can't we?

I didn't go yesterday, nothing to do with sectarian bile or pish like that (been hearing it since the late 60s), I'm getting over a virus and still not feeling 100%. The cold weather convinced me not to stay indoors but if I really thought we would lay a glove on them I'd have probably forced myself to go.

I've been really enjoying this season but our 4 performances against the ugly sisters have been disappointing

2 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Exactly it wasn’t a day for both Cameron and McCowan together, one of them probably Cameron shouldve made way for either Mulligan or Silah 

But worrying the lack of game time for Mulligan 

we’re crying out for a driving midfielder 

not that any of McCowan, Cameron or Boateng have done anything wrong 

He does need to see a bit more love from the Doc though imo 

Dont want him jumping ship 

9 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Defo this. McCowan not nearly as effective when he’s being asked to do a lot of donkey work. Maybe McCowan, Sylla, Boetang and Mulligan with just Bakayoko up top. 

49 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Leeds fan signed up to TDBF and says he's heard we are about to sign Darko Gyabi on loan.

Went to Leeds for £5m as part of a swap deal for Kalvin Phillips so he must be shite 😀

2 hours ago, Girth said:

Any good!? No idea who he is but I like his name. 

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Another Centre Mid.

Wiki has him as a box to box type. The Leeds fan said he's a bit like Kamara but loves a 'powerful tackle'. 

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The number of loanees won't be an issue as Marcel Lewis will probably be back to Burnley in January.

His loan ends in January unless you extend it.

The first 45 today was unreal from the boys. Howley was class on the right and a huge improvement on McGhee who done quite well in his natural position and the only one he should ever play.

The game changed when Howley went off; Mulligan moved from the middle and our legs upfront began to go. Howley clearly couldn't last the full 90 and was fucked by about 55.

Miscommunication for the first goal was rotten from two senior pros like Carson and Shaugnessy.

Sylla and Mulligan in the middle is the way forward however Tiffoney weak as a kitten and has to take a better touch to see him in on goal at the end of the first half. He done some good but seems like he'll cause alot of frustration.

Overall we have to be happy we can go to a club flying in 4th and dominate for large periods. Be patient with this manager and we might be onto a winner in the coming seasons. The signs are positive for now and the January window will give him a further chance to bring in his own bodies.

Time to scud the Perth before a well deserved break.

Thank you.