All things Dundee FC

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Summer has let some of these players off the hook from fans but if we don't get rid and bring in at least another five we're in a relegation scrap.

Legzdins, Sharp, Kerr, Anderson, Robertson, Pineda and Rudden aren't good enough with Carson looking like being crocked throughout.

Mulligan, Cameron, McGhee, Tiffoney, Portales and Sylla who all blow hot and cold with Reilly who we're looking to work his way into top league football after a terrible injury hit season. 

Shaughnessy and Robertson out the first couple of months.

We couldn't compete with the top six sides in 90% of matches last season and its unlikely to change with the squad we currently have.

With the cup starting on Saturday it is most definitely worrying. We're in a very weak position but everyone else seems to be positive so maybe its just me. I don't want the likes of Kerr or Rudden to be getting minutes on Saturday cause it only ends up in failure down the line - most likely the Derby where people will take note after whipping some diddies in the cup ( which we usually fail to do).

Thank you.

I usually agree with almost 100% of what you say but for a really young player, in his first season in the top league, I don’t think we could ask or expect much more from Cameron and, although Sylla had an odd poorer game, he’s getting asked to put in a hell of a shift in the formation we play, so I’d give him a pass too. 

Edited by Fifespud
Added ‘more’ duh

Does anyone know how work permits work? Not that it affects our team in any way but how does Livingston not get a WP for the South African Teto by all accounts actually meant to be a decent player yet at Johnstone get one for their new Ghanaian Essel ? 

5 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Does anyone know how work permits work? Not that it affects our team in any way but how does Livingston not get a WP for the South African Teto by all accounts actually meant to be a decent player yet at Johnstone get one for their new Ghanaian Essel ? 

Pre-Brexit it was based on % of recent Internationals played. Above a certain threshold = WP granted.

Post-Brexit, it's a bit more arbitrary. Jist is that the player must be deemed to be of a higher quality than indigenous equivalent, and therefore = higher salary and paying more tax. It's wide open to abuse.

7 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

We don't actually have one for Essel yet.

He is however captain of Ghanas U20s and plays for their U23s and is only 18 so one would hope he is of "outstanding talent" and would gain points for that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I usually agree with almost 100% of what you say but for a really young player, in his first season in the top league, I don’t think we could ask or expect much more from Cameron and, although Sylla had an odd poorer game, he’s getting asked to put in a hell of a shift in the formation we play, so I’d give him a pass too. 

Cameron and Sylla both have pass marks for me last season and I was quite harsh on Sylla  but there was games where you wondered if it was the same midfield maestro as the week before. I'd be more than comfortable starting him in the derby. He needs the right player alongside him though and Cameron isn't it IMO.

Lyall done relatively well but against any of the top six sides he often came across as a child in a man's game. He's got plenty talent though and of course can play a big part in our season. The midfield trio of McCowan, Cameron and Sylla has too many weaknesses.

The players I mentioned as blowing hot and cold weren't ones I thought needed replaced in the main. I wanted us to improve on McGhee at RB/RWB despite him being outstanding in some games last season and solid throughout. Portales had his games too and Mulligan obviously has some good attributes.

A short summary possibly would've been better. We need to flush the shite, bring in at least five and need players to step up after their first season in the top flight.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

7 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Essel - 18yo, regular in Ghanaian top flight for 3 seasons, captained his club. Regular for Ghana u20/u23 sides and captained then.

Teto - 20yo, one half season of sub appearances, zero appearances for u20/u23 sides.

Essel was closer to the border for passing so should get through an appeal easier then Teto. I'm not convinced Teto has shown anything to suggest he's a better talent than Essel either?

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

That's it, yer barred!!

🤣

TBH it makes perfect sense to do this, I was already thinking there’s no way the root structure will be strong enough on a pitch grown from seed 

Better to have it properly ready for the Hearts game

Edited by MarkoP

2 hours ago, The Master said:

Rumour on DBF that we’ll be playing our home League Cup group games at Brechin because the pitch isn’t ready. 

Penalty Rangers. 

Wouldn't be shocked at all to hear that Murray refused to deal with Hibs at all, I think we all know his heart's here. If he can keep his scoring momentum going from last season then we're onto a winner here, and we kinda need to be as he's 32 and will likely be on a three-year contract. You know he'll put every bit of effort in for his boyhood club though, so it's not to feel good about it.

44 minutes ago, MarbellaDEE said:

Would settle for a derby day hat trick first day of the season and running Celtic close tbh. 

More likely break his leg against Dunfermline. It’s the Dundee way. 

Two very positive pieces of news. Cammy Kerr has been a brilliant servant and an excellent representation of the club but unfortunately, his ability isn't what we need going forward. A ruthless but necessary decision by Doc who just said a couple of days ago that Anderson, Kerr and Rudden had a future at Dens so maybe that indicates where his head is at.

Murray, as we've discussed to death, is a cracking bit of business and will provide Tiffoney with a huge challenge now!