All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Just with Butters being here - wanted to talk in his language and see if we can bring him on as a human.

Thank you

It's entirely understandable and I commend you for trying with him since it seems he has little else to keep his spirits high but it feels like we're arguing with a 3 year old and not getting anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Thomohawk said:

It's entirely understandable and I commend you for trying with him since it seems he has little else to keep his spirits high but it feels like we're arguing with a 3 year old and not getting anywhere. 

He appears to have gone quiet anyway - perhaps not keen to comment - maybe the price of entry was too high after all?

Edited by Der Panzer

I'd like to see Mulligan in supporting Sylla but in a, kind of, 4,1,3,2.  This 5 at the back only works if we have 2 WB's that are pressurising the opposition defence and we don't have that. Having McCowan, Cameron and Mulligan on gives us a good threat in different ways, particularly with the running and strength of Murray up top. It would be good to give Graham a run-out in the next games, particularly as he is left sided and while Portales was ok last night he always looks much more comfortable on the right side of defence. LB a priority!!

14 hours ago, gannonball said:

In @Butters Scotch defence he isn't just a roaster on Dundee threads, his contribution to the TA forum is much the same, if anything he's consistent.

Do you want to provide some examples of that then or are you just talking out your arse as usual? You ain't even a Scotland fan so I can imagine you haven't even been on the TA section a lot. 

I think we need a LB and a quality central mid as a priority. McCowan & Cameron is an essential part of our attacking game, but together they are totally powderpuff when we don't have the ball. A player who offers a threat with the ball and will get stuck in out of possession would be an enormous boost to this team, but that's likely a calibre of player far in excess of anything we're likely to pick up on loan or as a late transfer. I was hoping Mulligan would develop into the sort of all-around CM/AM we lack, but he seems to have stalled apart from a few cameo appearances after he came back from loan.

No sense in signing yet another CB. We have six in the squad already.

I think McCowan has added that to his game, I.e. getting stuck in and does a lot of work defensively. Sylla is two players in one. Don’t disagree another midfielder of that ilk would enhance the squad and I’m sure Docherty will add. 

8 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

I think McCowan has added that to his game, I.e. getting stuck in and does a lot of work defensively. Sylla is two players in one. Don’t disagree another midfielder of that ilk would enhance the squad and I’m sure Docherty will add. 

Perhaps we could clone 'The Derry Vierra?' 

FAO Nelmsy. 

13 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Aye, Cameron is definitely the bigger liability of the two defensively, but I think the problem is playing both. I think you can carry one attack-minded mid who doesn't really set about winning the ball back, but two is a problem. In fairness to McCowan he's not lazy, he does drop back and get behind the ball, but neither of them are really built for actually challenging for it.

Agree that if I was picking the Derby 11 right now I'd have Mulligan alongside Sylla despite rating Cameron over him as a player. If anyone watched the Euros it's not all about your best players being on the pitch at all times.

We're in big trouble if Docherty is thinking along the same lines as those bigging up Robertson at LWB. He's showing he's tidy on the ball against poor oppostion as we all know but if he plays in the opening games then shit will hit the fan.

I'd rather Anderson went on loan - still think there's a small chance of him being a starter in years to come. Only other players we need shot of is Pineda and Legzdins.

Thank you.

I think if Mulligan had been given the sort of playing time in a stable position Cameron has then we'd likely be looking at him in a totally different light. No idea why he's not really kicked on or found a regular starting role, because of all this generation of home grown players, Cameron, Mulligan, Robertson, Anderson, I genuinely thought he had by far and away the highest ceiling of the lot. 

Cameron is a neat and tidy player with a good eye for a goal and creating a chance, but in all honesty I don't think he'll ever play at a higher level than he is now because of the physical and defensive limitations to his game. Robertson just doesn't have enough to his game and appears to be no different to the 16 year old we saw years ago, and Max Anderson has never shown any actual footballing ability and strikes me very much as another Cammy Kerr. Loads of effort, but miles behind in actual footballing ability. At 23 he should be playing regular first team football, not hanging around in the background/going out on loan. We've had plenty of turnover in the squad, played in a lesser league a few seasons back, and still he's been unable to get himself on the pitch. If he's not playing for us at 23 years old, then that just screams that he isn't up to this level of football and never will be.

If Robertson at LWB is the answer we are asking the wrong question.

Square pegs in square holes please.

I also take the point RE the balance in midfield - but as they stand right now  Utd are not a team we should be worrying about dominating us physically in the middle - the boy Docherty is good for a game a month at best and is a championship jobber never played in top flight  - outwith him they don’t seem to have any real physical presence. Sibbald, some young lad I’ve never heard of and an unknown in Sevelj plus the lad Babunski who I’m sure they were saying was a small technical player seem to be their only other viable options (I could be wrong though) 

The boy Sevelj they got told was 6ft but mustve been a typo - he’s closer to 5ft and got out jumped for the 2nd goal against Falkirk - played centre half that game but apparently may play holding mid. 

59 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Utd are not a team we should be worrying about dominating us physically in the middle -

There are 10 other clubs in our league, and as much as our defence got the blame for most of our collapses last season, for me the problem begun with the fact that our midfield routinely got played through and around almost every single time we began dropping deep and trying to protect a lead. 

Part of that was tactical, we play a narrow midfield that leaves space down the sides and three just can't shuffle quickly enough to cover all that ground, but there was also a total lack of dig and bite that meant the opponents were pretty much up against nothing much more than a line of training cones before they got to our genuine back line of defence. We haven't changed or added anything to that midfield since last season, so unless Doc has spent pre-season installing a plan to cope with that (i.e. getting the team playing comfortably in a 5-4-1 and killing the play further up the pitch) then I worry this season will just be more of the same.

Derby is obviously foremost in the mind being first league fixture, but we played some poor teams last season as well and still couldn't hold on to leads when sitting deep against them. I hope TD has realised that keeping 2 up and giving the fullbacks no protection at all got us punished repeatedly last season. It was scandalous how often teams were able to hold the ball deep in our half and pass it the entire breadth of the pitch and back with no Dundee player getting anywhere near it. You can't defend like that.

3CB's dealt with most of the stuff coming in from out wide, but when it's sustained pressure for 20 and 30 minutes, it's inevitable there will be a mistake, a missed header, or just a great ball in that isn't cleared.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Would have Sylla and Mulligan (if not Mulligan then another experienced dcm) protecting the defence, you need that in this league, pair of big bassa's in the middle of the park.

As others have said, a dcm and a lb.

Think we're good to go with that. IMO.

Thank you.

Dundee United: hang your heads in shame.

This match that means so much to the working man in Dundee has been launched into the £34 bracket in the newest scandal across at Tannadice.

This is truly one of the lowest points in Dundee Derby history. When you see it in text it actually hit home what a sorry state football is in.

I'd rather chuck £34 towards a banner that expressed the point that the prices are getting out of hand.

Ram it.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

35 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Dundee United: hang your heads in shame.

This match that means so much to the working man in Dundee has been launched into the £34 bracket in the newest scandal across at Tannadice.

This is truly one of the lowest points in Dundee Derby history. When you see it in text it actually hit home what a sorry state football is in.

I'd rather chuck £34 towards a banner that expressed the point that the prices are getting out of hand.

Ram it.

Thank you.

Well said. We're getting f**k all tickets anyway, so let the mugs from east angus take it up the hoop, on and off the park.

Thank you.

I’m sure we will get signings before the derby. A LWB, CB, DM and ST is all we need but someone on the other forum is saying we are getting an attacking midfielder.

Examples/suggestions of players for those positions would be:

Dodgson/Galvez/Beck/Cadden/Douglas/Gent/McCarron/Williams

Hector/Hutchinson/Dunne/Wilson

Jack/Boateng/Thiago Holm/Holt

Lowry/Mallan

Stewart/Gayle/Austin/Waghorn/Nisbet 

I’m not bothered about a striker or attacking midfielder. I also wouldn’t be against Robertson at LWB if we dominate possession but he would get tore apart against speedy wingers so another option would be good.

The Doc must have either not rated Gorrin or was worried about his injury record as he looked decent enough in the bounce games obviously must have left a lot to be desired in training