All things Dundee FC

Looking at a strongest 11 of:

McCracken

Ingram Portales Shaughnessy Robertson Larkeche

McCowan Sylla Mulligan

Murray Palmer-Houlden. 

With the likes of Carson, Cameron, Tiffoney, Astley, McGhee and Main in reserve. This with Graham looking class as another one rolls out from our youth setup. 2/3 signings and we'll have a solid, solid squad. Even if the derby goes pear shaped we're in for a strong seson IMO. No need to press the panic button. As it is though more than confident of going there and winning. 

Thank you. 

I'm far too hyped for this derby with it only being Tuesday.

50 years of these games have learnt me never to be confident.

Midfield/Forward wise we're going in stronger than we have in the past, Defence maybe needed a tougher test in pre-season?

We lose, every Dundee fan is till 100% behind Tony Doc, Utd lose 50% of them turn on Goodwin in a flash.

My main concern is defensively - Larkeche might be the 2nd coming of Owen Beck - but I’m not loving that he may be pitched into a Derby debut.

Midfield and attack we have all the tools but got to get the balance right and ffs if we go 2-0 up let’s keep playing the same way and not sit back and invite pressure on our defence Tony…

9 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

My main concern is defensively - Larkeche might be the 2nd coming of Owen Beck - but I’m not loving that he may be pitched into a Derby debut.

Midfield and attack we have all the tools but got to get the balance right and ffs if we go 2-0 up let’s keep playing the same way and not sit back and invite pressure on our defence Tony…

He's played against far superior teams last season, than this dayglo bunch of donkeys on Sunday.

Would have no problem putting him on.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He's played against far superior teams last season, than this bunch of donkeys on Sunday.

Would have no problem playing him.

Thank you.

Goes without saying of course - Dundee Utd are undoubtedly shite.

But my concern is that Larkeche probably knew the lads he was playing with last season and hadn’t known them 10 days or so.

He’ll also be up against “Trapadona” I believe who sounds like he may be in the running for the BallonD’or at end of this year after scoring against pub teams so we will need to be mindful of that…..

Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Goes without saying of course - Dundee Utd are undoubtedly shite.

But my concern is that Larkeche probably knew the lads he was playing with last season and hadn’t known them 10 days or so.

He’ll also be up against “Trapadona” I believe who sounds like he may be in the running for the BallonD’or at end of this year after scoring against pub teams so we will need to be mindful of that…..

Thank you 

😃

No need for 'concerns' Panzer. IMO.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Looking at a strongest 11 of:

McCracken

Ingram Portales Shaughnessy Robertson Larkeche

McCowan Sylla Mulligan

Murray Palmer-Houlden. 

With the likes of Carson, Cameron, Tiffoney, Astley, McGhee and Main in reserve. This with Graham looking class as another one rolls out from our youth setup. 2/3 signings and we'll have a solid, solid squad. Even if the derby goes pear shaped we're in for a strong seson IMO. No need to press the panic button. As it is though more than confident of going there and winning. 

Thank you. 

McGhee is a must start for me

7 minutes ago, Sheas_cake said:

I've only ever been confident before one derby. That was in 1988, we got rinsed 2-0 and barely got a shot at goal. f**k ever doing that again.

Even in the Bonetti season where they nearly went down and were utter shite, I still had the massive fear before the 3-0 Sara game and the 2-0 Nemsadze chip game. 

Nice to see you back mate.

We must've all felt confident before the Doon Derby? I know I did.

Excellent night.

25 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Excellent night.

Yes felt so confident that day , I was celebrating from the minute I got up with a lark that beautiful Monday 

42 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Excellent night.

That was the only derby I was confident in as it was basically party mode.

13 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

That line up is with everyone fit obviously. Where would McGhee be?

Thank you.

Not really for me to reply but we'll have to see how Shaughnessy is this season. Was excellent beginning of last season but massively tailed off, is age catching up with him? So him or McGhee, tbc. 

Think Graham may well challenge Robertson for the Left CB place and, once everyone is settled in, it would be worthwhile seeing if we can get to a back 4 and get Cameron/Tiffoney/Reilly into the starting 11. Got to see how everyone performs together, and that may take a bit of time to gel, but very happy with squad as it stands. Feel we have more quality and less quantity compared with last season which is good as that can put pressure on manager to play people that don't deserve to be on. 

13 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

That line up is with everyone fit obviously. Where would McGhee be?

Thank you.

Last season McGhee benefitted from Docherty realising we needed better than Cammy Kerr at right back and Mulligan wasn't cutting it there. It was a position that eventually pretty much was his regardless and he thrived in it. 

What I really don't want Docherty trying to do is to shoehorn him in to midfield somehow. I don't think he will mind you. It's a shame because McGhee was arguably our most improved player last season, excellent at times. 

McGhee was solid defensively at RWB, and handy to have an extra CB around at set-pieces, but he offers nothing with the ball going forward, and if you play a full time 3/5/2-5/3/2 your WB's need to be as threatening and creative as wingers for it to really work. When Beck was on the pitch absolutely everything went down our left-hand side, and that makes it much easier for the opponent to defend because they'll pull towards that side as a whole.

Ingram looks quite good against limited opposition so far, so I'm keen to see how he fares against Premier teams. McGhee is a nice option to have, and Mulligan isn't totally lost at WB either, but in reality I'd be much happier if we can find another full-time WB/FB on loan, even better if it's a guy who can cover both sides.

46 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

McGhee was solid defensively at RWB, and handy to have an extra CB around at set-pieces, but he offers nothing with the ball going forward, and if you play a full time 3/5/2-5/3/2 your WB's need to be as threatening and creative as wingers for it to really work. When Beck was on the pitch absolutely everything went down our left-hand side, and that makes it much easier for the opponent to defend because they'll pull towards that side as a whole.

Ingram looks quite good against limited opposition so far, so I'm keen to see how he fares against Premier teams. McGhee is a nice option to have, and Mulligan isn't totally lost at WB either, but in reality I'd be much happier if we can find another full-time WB/FB on loan, even better if it's a guy who can cover both sides.

5 league goals last season isn't bad.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

5 league goals last season isn't bad.

I think that's why TD persisted with McGhee last season and never went after a full-time RWB/FB. Having four CB's on the pitch is a nightmare to defend, and should also be a big help in defending your own box from corners/FK's.