All things Dundee FC

5 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Got to admire your optimism. I don’t think big Billy is near ready to start (looks exactly like young Graham to me), and the 2 full backs have got to step up and show if we were right to sign them. Certainly we were miles better when Braybrooke and the Burnley lad came on. You summed Josh up pretty well earlier in the week and he was exactly that today. Β If Clark Robertson is any good him and McGhee would be my preferred pairing at the centre, but we’ll probs need to play McGhee at RB. I think Portales could be an option at RB as his tackling is his biggest attribute plus he’s half decent on the ball - and his mistakes might not be so costly. The defence is an utter shambles.Β 

I thought Billy was fine today and showed his talent on the ball at times such as the through ball into Murray for the offside goal. Graham in the Derby was scarily out of place and I certainly didn't get that feeling today. The back two won alot of the ball and were fine on the whole IMO. They're not the reason we lost today.

Docherty will probably now revert to a five which despite me being against it all last season might've suited us better today. In the first half especially Tiffoney and SPH gave us nothing out wide.

It was a pretty awful game today but the facts are there was nothing between the sides and if anything we looked more capable on the ball. The two goals are completely rotten though and we can't keep coming back from losing positions. Ingram cost us the points today.

The first goal didn't look like a corner either, hopefully someone can confirm when the match is online.

Thank you.

37 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

We won't be getting relegated this season.

Absolutely nothing in the game today and Portales and Koumetio were fine. An absolutely horrific individual display by Ethan Ingram lost us that one. He was beyond bad even outwith the goal incidents.

Long season ahead with Robertson now returning who was one of our main defensive signings.

Austrian looks far more comfortable out wide than Palmer-Houlden and can be a good player going off the second half today.

We've still got plenty of talent around our squad. Today was poor but that County side were certainly not a better team. Plenty games to come and a settled eleven is still to be seen.

Thank you.

No, I don't believe we will either, but realistically with Aberdeen, Celtic, and Rangers still to play we could be looking at 11 games in, and no more than 10 or so points on the board, and 1 PPG is the sort of total that often sees you sitting 10th/11th and in the teeth of the relegation fight.

35 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

thought Billy was fine today and showed his talent on the ball at times such as the through ball into Murray for the offside goal.

Think that was Sylla.

TBH I didn't think Billy was quick enough to release the ball today when we were chasing the game and his passing was pretty poor today.

39 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

"if anything we looked more capable on the ball."Β 

That's just total bollocks! County well deserved the win today.

Still hope to see Simon Murray do well this season tho...

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBH I didn't think Billy was quick enough to release the ball today when we were chasing the game and his passing was pretty poor today.

That’s the way I saw it too. Don’t want to go overboard but I also thought he didn’t show much urgency to get back when we lost the ball and he was out of position. You’re not VVD (yet) son. Early days but dropping McGhee and playing Billy, Ingram and Larkeche makes me wonder what promises have been made about appearances.Β 

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

That’s the way I saw it too. Don’t want to go overboard but I also thought he didn’t show much urgency to get back when we lost the ball and he was out of position. You’re not VVD (yet) son. Early days but dropping McGhee and playing Billy, Ingram and Larkeche makes me wonder what promises have been made about appearances.Β 

Could have a point there, the dropping of McGhee made no sense whatsoever.Β 

These are the sort of fixtures you don’t want to lose, however, these are also the sort of results we will get now and again against β€˜poorer’ teams this season. Β Definitely room for improvement but I can’t say I’m feeling too worried.

Also, on a separate note, good to see Luke McCowan getting his first goal for Celtic. Β 

Edited by Shadow Play

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Could have a point there, the dropping of McGhee made no sense whatsoever.Β 

McGhee is a different kettle of fish depending on whether he's playing CB or RB.

Against St.Mirren we were keech in the first half with no threat down the right whatsoever. Big Billy got injured and went off, McGhee switched to CB, we brought on Ingram at RB and suddenly looked a lot more threatening because we actually had someone who can use the ball and offer something going forward down the right.

I like McGhee, but he shouldn't be the 1st choice RB when there are full time RB's fit and healthy. He's a CB, and that's where he should play.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Think that was Sylla.

It was Billy. Thought he was fine and certainly wouldn't pick him out today but we all see things different.

Ingram probably started after a good display against St Mirren but he's lost the header for goal one and gave away a stupid penalty. The whole match he was losing it and Docherty was clearly not happy with him even before the pen.Β 

Apart from them moments it was largely two dreadful performances today from both sides and they were no better than us. We'll finish above County but they can have their day.

Thank you.

Β 

Edited by Dundee-FC92

On 12/09/2024 at 12:33, MarkoP said:

Quick question regarding this, I don’t think Lyall is going to sign an extension so, will we get a development fee if he waits till summer to move on?

Also what are we looking at, as I think his value is going to soar this season, more so with Luke away.

Not if we are losing games like today. Can't blame the lad for trying to capitalise on the attention he's received lately however perhapsΒ he rates himself higher than his suitors. Good luck to him nonetheless.Β Β 

46 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

It was Billy. Thought he was fine and certainly wouldn't pick him out today but we all see things different.

Ingram probably started after a good display against St Mirren but he's lost the header for goal one and gave away a stupid penalty. The whole match he was losing it and Docherty was clearly not happy with him even before the pen.Β 

Apart from them moments it was largely two dreadful performances today from both sides and they were no better than us. We'll finish above County but they can have their day.

Thank you.

Β 

Just seen it on Sportscene and you are correct, it was Billy with the shroo ball.

Β 

4 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

We won't be getting relegated this season.

Absolutely nothing in the game today and Portales and Koumetio were fine. An absolutely horrific individual display by Ethan Ingram lost us that one. He was beyond bad even outwith the goal incidents.

Long season ahead with Robertson now returning who was one of our main defensive signings.

Austrian looks far more comfortable out wide than Palmer-Houlden and can be a good player going off the second half today.

We've still got plenty of talent around our squad. Today was poor but that County side were certainly not a better team. Plenty games to come and a settled eleven is still to be seen.

Thank you.

Ingram didn't look the part against Arbroath, surprised he's near the squad at the moment.Β 

6 minutes ago, Silverado66 said:

Ingram didn't look the part against Arbroath, surprised he's near the squad at the moment.Β 

He’s great in space going forward, unfortunately that’s not all you need to be good at

Maybe a bit more thought in the not losing part of the game required by Doc.

Β Still think Gorrin would do us a turnΒ 

We lack solidity generallyΒ 

37 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

We lack solidity generallyΒ 

Yes. I think we're missing an organiser at the back, and you'd have to rejig the formation to squeeze one in, but a terrier/hatchetman type in the middle of the park would help as well.

We still conceded a ton last season with big JS on the park, but I think there's a distinct lack of ownership and marshalling going on. BK is young, and Portales isn't really that type. I love big Mo, but he's a disruptor/mop-up, not a "buzz about the place giving nobody any peace" type.

4-2-3-1 wouldn't be all that different to what we play right now, but we don't have the other guy for the "2" next to big Mo.

4 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I’m thinking that with LarkecheΒ 

The big decision was to drop McGhee and Docherty got that wrong.

Other than that, I find it quite difficult to criticise Doc.

Can't account for McCracken's poor goal kick coming back on him in the wind, putting us in a defensive position and then Ingram selling his jersey for the opening goal. Can't account for Ingram's pathetic haul down of the County attacker either.

Going a goal down allowed County to get men behind the ball, not allow us to play our natural game and just focus on frustrating us with no chance of their fans getting upset at them because they're holding onto an invaluable lead. At 2-0 before HT, the game is as good as done.

With 70% possession, County allowed us to be in control and played out the game with us having a mountain to climb. As Craigan pointed out on Sportscene, whomever gets the first goal in this league very, very rarely lose the game.

I'm more worried about Rangers in the cup next and then high flying Aberdeen then after our impressive start, starts to look like a long winless run.

Have to say, I'm more concerned about Larkeche and Ingram than any of our CH options. Larkeche doesn't look near it and Ingram had an absolutely horrific game yesterday that I didn't see coming but was so bad, he didn't look near the required level despite impressing in other games.