All things Dundee FC

25 minutes ago, Caballero said:

If we continue to lose two goals in every game, we will do well to stay up

Got me worried too, no matter how well we're playing or how much in control we look like we'll lose an easy goal.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Have to say, I'm more concerned about Larkeche and Ingram than any of our CH options. Larkeche doesn't look near it and Ingram had an absolutely horrific game yesterday that I didn't see coming but was so bad, he didn't look near the required level despite impressing in other games.

This is it for me, Larkeche is not at this level at all imo. He was really poor against St Mirren, but grabbed a goal so it's like his performance was forgotten about. 

There's definitely a player in Ingram, but he is far too inconsistent. One week he doesn't look out of place, the following week he is a complete liability.

If we are starting both of them, you may as well play with 5 at the back because it's pretty much guaranteed one of them will f**k up and could be bailed out by a sweeper.

They are both a 'No' from me at the moment. 

Edited by johnnydun

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This is it for me, Larkeche is not at this level at all imo. He was really poor against St Mirren, but grabbed a goal so it's like his performance was forgotten about. 

There's definitely a player in Ingram, but he is far too inconsistent. One week he doesn't look out of place, the following week he is a complete liability.

If we are starting both of them, you may as well play with 5 at the back because it's pretty much guaranteed one of them will f**k up and could be bailed out by a sweeper.

They are both a 'No' from me at the moment. 

You can tell Docherty is trying to pick and choose when he plays Ingram. I’m really unsure why he dropped McGhee. Koumeito I wasn’t impressed with but he has shown more in recent weeks that he has something about him. He maybe just needed to adjust to the Scottish game. Once Clark Robertson is fit we will see improvement. Maybe we will still keep the back 4 even once Robertson is fit and we will have a unit of defenders at the back who can still play football and aren’t just big brutes.

20 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Early days but dropping McGhee and playing Billy, Ingram and Larkeche makes me wonder what promises have been made about appearances. 

Ingram is our player so take that out of the equation. Larkeche is playing as he's the only recognised LB that we have. I can't criticise the Doc for much but not getting a permanent LB during the last 2 summers has been disappointing. As for Billy he's no worse than Portales or Graham

I think potentially there's a real cracking player in Koumetio, we just need to hope that he matures rapidly and learns to cut out the stupid mistakes. 

He's dominant in the air and also has a good bit of ability on the ball, so he's the sort of CB that could play right at the very highest level and command a big fee, but he won't do that if he still has a Tebily moment in him every single game.

The reason I was saying for a few weeks before the window shut that we needed another full time FB was that it was going to be a huge problem if Ingram or especially Larkeche turned out to be a dud. We're stuck with this until January at least, unless we are sniffing around free agents. It's still early with Larkeche but it's beginning to look like shite performances are the norm, with the games he looks ok being the rare exception. 

A lot is riding on Clark Robertson somehow being up to speed right away IMO

Edited by Boo Khaki

Agree a lot riding on Clark talking them through the games. A lot of young boys in our team so going to be hot and cold performances but hopefully they mature as the season progresses. Half the team must have been U21 yesterday? Also wonder if the language barrier is an issue in defence.

Think it will be 5 at the back now. Strongest defence till Joe is back?

Robertson

Portales        Koumetio

McGhee                                               Fin 

Both full backs need dropped. IMO.

Also, thought Astley done well last season, no idea why he hasn't had a chance.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Robertson

Portales        Koumetio

It's really difficult to defend Ingram and Larkeche right now, but the problem with that lineup is both WB's would get to the half-way line and immediately look to play the ball into the middle of the pitch. It happens with McGhee every time we trot him out at RWB and Fin was doing exactly the same playing LWB in the Cup games. 

In a 3/5 you need the WB's to either attack the byline and provide width, or cut in and threaten the box directly the way Beck used to. I think you can get away with it to an extent if the guy on one side isn't doing that but the other guy does, you just become a bit one-dimensional like that, which we totally were last season any time it was McGhee and Beck. With two guys who won't/don't/can't provide any attacking threat, you are basically leaving it to 3 central players to provide the entirety of your attacking threat.

To be honest, I don't really have any answers for why we're hopeless at the back, because it's very rarely it's as simple as "shite players". I do think the language thing mentioned by @K.T is a possible factor, especially because we've got Koumetio and Larkeche playing right next to each other. Ok, both French speaking, but the other lads don't necessarily speak French, Larkeche's English is apparently very limited, and they are both just in the door and trying to settle in themselves. It doesn't help either player to do that if the guy right next to him is also trying to bed in.

17 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's really difficult to defend Ingram and Larkeche right now, but the problem with that lineup is both WB's would get to the half-way line and immediately look to play the ball into the middle of the pitch. It happens with McGhee every time we trot him out at RWB and Fin was doing exactly the same playing LWB in the Cup games. 

In a 3/5 you need the WB's to either attack the byline and provide width, or cut in and threaten the box directly the way Beck used to. I think you can get away with it to an extent if the guy on one side isn't doing that but the other guy does, you just become a bit one-dimensional like that, which we totally were last season any time it was McGhee and Beck. With two guys who won't/don't/can't provide any attacking threat, you are basically leaving it to 3 central players to provide the entirety of your attacking threat.

To be honest, I don't really have any answers for why we're hopeless at the back, because it's very rarely it's as simple as "shite players". I do think the language thing mentioned by @K.T is a possible factor, especially because we've got Koumetio and Larkeche playing right next to each other. Ok, both French speaking, but the other lads don't necessarily speak French, Larkeche's English is apparently very limited, and they are both just in the door and trying to settle in themselves. It doesn't help either player to do that if the guy right next to him is also trying to bed in.

Agree with that, McGhee gets a nosebleed if he goes over the half way line, just think we've got to tighten up a bit.

eta. Could give Mulligan a go at RWB, play McGhee as sweeper, until Robertson is fit, could play Robertson as lb as well.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

The fact we're even talking about Finlay Robertson at LB at this stage of the seasson highlights what an underwhelming start Larkeche has had. There's definitely a player in there, but he's just not getting used to the pace of the game here at all and is looking like a weak link.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Robertson

Portales        Koumetio

I’m a massive Fin Robertson fan but I’m not sure how he’d cope in a back 4. Playing him in that position would be tough for him against Rangers but I change no doubt on the ball he’d perform. Strongest defence I’d swap Clark Robertson for Robertson. I reckon he will see the 3-5-2 reappear in parts of the season.

1 minute ago, peebles_Dee said:

I’m a massive Fin Robertson fan but I’m not sure how he’d cope in a back 4. Playing him in that position would be tough for him against Rangers but I change no doubt on the ball he’d perform. Strongest defence I’d swap Clark Robertson for Robertson. I reckon he will see the 3-5-2 reappear in parts of the season.

Sorry didn’t notice you had Clark Robertson at CB. 

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

As you say hard to point your finger at the problem. We’ve all seen though, how 1 player coming in who knows what he’s doing can make a massive difference. Hopefully that’s Clark Robertson.