I'm sorry but more Opinion Polls- Have they been accurate histori

FrontPage

ever hear of President Dewey? No...

During the 1948 US Presidential Election Thomas Dewey was favourite to beat Harry S Truman going into the last stages of the campaign:

"The large, mostly spontaneous gatherings at Truman's railcar events were an important sign of a change in momentum in the campaign, but this shift went virtually unnoticed by the national press corps, which continued reporting Republican Thomas Dewey's apparent impending victory as a certainty. One reason for the press' inaccurate projection was that polls were conducted primarily by telephone, in a time when many people, including much of Truman's populist base, did not own a telephone. This skewed the data to indicate a stronger support base for Dewey than existed. It resulted in an unintended and undetected projection error that may have contributed to the perception of Truman's bleak chances. The three major polling organizations stopped polling well before the November 2 election date—Roper in September, and Crossley and Gallup in October—thus failing to measure the period when Truman appears to have surged past Dewey"

post-12982-0-01640800-1410653038.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_general_election,_2011

Opinion polls

In March 2011, two months before the election, Labour held a double-digit lead over the SNP in the opinion polls,[22] 44% to 29%.[23] The SNP's support subsequently rallied, with the two parties level in April polling. In the final poll on the eve of the election, the SNP were eleven points clear of Labour.[22][24]

So opinion polls said 11% but the SNP had a 15+% lead in the end. If I recall they didnt take into account the collapse of the Lib Dems last time out.

Whenever titles are cut for being too long I always think of the Rocky Horror scene (Antici..... pation!)

Anyway, it's something I was discussing with others a while back in that the SNP campaign had a huge surge near the end and that we should expect that. O was roundly laughed at because at the time the support was about 33%. However we've seen that happen. The question really is, has that surge stopped and if it has can it be restarted?

An 'SNP' surge isnt something I want to talk about, theres already anarmy of No voters who think the referendum question is 'DO YOU LIKE ALEX SALMOND? YES [ ] NO[ ]'

I just want to get to the bottom of these opinion polls and why such a big deal is made of them

Re the opinion polls, I'm not sure how much stock you can put in them, whatever the result.

This is a vote unlike any other we've had before. Many, many people have registered to vote that have never done so before. Also, a lot of the new voters are of a demographic that pollsters just won't reach.

From what I've read, and from talking to a Yes campaigner on Prestwick Main St yesterday, the word on the streets shows a VERY different story.

Archived