Here's A Scenario....

Yes wins it by a narrow margin and negotiations begin. They prove exceedingly tough and protracted with little sign of progress. Cameron & Co play hardball but claim to ‘get it’. Salmond & Co adopt the moral high ground whilst claiming to be reasonable people. In the face of an impasse an elephant, long sleeping in the corner of the room, stirs to life. He’s called Devo Max.

The Unionists point-blank refuse to cede the break-up of the UK. Short of insurrection, the Nationalists cannot bring it about. What odds then on some sort of Devo Max with powers much greater than Calman proposes and a deal-maker of a timed commitment to the removal of Trident from Scottish soil ?

The UK Government will lay claim to have acquiesced to the wishes of many of the Scots electorate whilst preserving the Union. Salmond will cry foul but retain both that moral high ground and a pragmatic political and economic settlement well in advance of what currently exists, with Labour in Scotland in disarray.

And many Yes voters will get what they wanted all along, knowing that had they voted No they would get hee-haw.

I would 'hope' that in the event of a Yes vote, the UK government would do everything it can to make the tranistion as smooth as possible, it's in no one's interests at all to play 'hard ball'.

I would think that unlike the SNP WM actually care about citizens of the UK so I hope so but there again, I don't know. Yet another example of the uncertainties of voting Yes because you can bet on the ruthlessness of politicians getting what they can for their own country

Your hatred of Alex Salmond really is extraordinary.

It's actually distrust and fear based on his conduct over the years. Hatred is too strong a word. Most politicians should be distrusted because they deserve it and indeed invite it pretending to represent millions of individuals when there's only one they're really interested in.

He's one of the most self-serving ones I've come across

Good job he isn't Alex Salmond eh?

Where has this perception come from about Salmond? He's a democratically elected leader whether you like him or not. I agree he's an arse bag and will likely vote against him in event of a yes, but he's hardly Stalin come again.

Where has this perception come from about Salmond? He's a democratically elected leader whether you like him or not. I agree he's an arse bag and will likely vote against him in event of a yes, but he's hardly Stalin come again.

And how do you think that'll go given that he's "head of Team Scotland" in an independent country which will require a new constitution. He knows that he's going to be in power for years to come and he doesn't mind dividing a society to get there as long as his majority is in tact.

I would 'hope' that in the event of a Yes vote, the UK government would do everything it can to make the tranistion as smooth as possible, it's in no one's interests at all to play 'hard ball'.

I totally agree but it was Cameron's arrogant intransigence which kept the Devo Max option off the ballot paper, and if that intransigence re-emerges at large in Westminster after a Yes vote then the negotiations could be very fraught indeed. I'm just positing a situation here, one in which the British State will not roll over.

And how do you think that'll go given that he's "head of Team Scotland" in an independent country which will require a new constitution. He knows that he's going to be in power for years to come and he doesn't mind dividing a society to get there as long as his majority is in tact.

Utterly blinkered nonsense.

Utterly blinkered nonsense.

What makes you say that? What evidence is there that you won't be answerable to an SNP government? What makes you believe there'll be a choice?

You'll be the first be sent to the gulags after a yes vote. I'd be very careful if I was you.

I think Salmond is a nasty piece of work and so far, trying to silence the media and encouraging people to ignore debates and be vociferous and divisive makes me a bit concerned. I'm worried about a divided country caused by his actions more and even although come Friday we may well be still be part of the UK, he's created this animosity.

What makes you say that? What evidence is there that you won't be answerable to an SNP government? What makes you believe there'll be a choice?

I think Salmond is a nasty piece of work and so far, trying to silence the media and encouraging people to ignore debates and be vociferous and divisive makes me a bit concerned. I'm worried about a divided country caused by his actions more and even although come Friday we may well be still be part of the UK, he's created this animosity.

The elections straight after independence.

You forgot to say you don't like him because he's fat.. :(

C'mon mate. How do you think that would go? New country with a new leader. He's only interested in himself and his party. I think it's looking like a No but as i say he's created real hostility for his own aims

So you have no evidence at all. If the people of Scotland don't want Salmond in 2016 then he won't win.

C'mon mate. How do you think that would go? New country with a new leader. He's only interested in himself and his party. I think it's looking like a No but as i say he's created real hostility for his own aims

If he is democratically elected, what's the problem?

Archived