Up all night thread

1320Lichtie

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot will depend on whether Salmond stays or goes.

How so, do you think if he leaves it will help or hinder SNP?

Could see a slight fracture or loss of discipline.

As Rico says though probably a lot of folk like me never voted SNP before but plan to now.

I'm a Yes voter and I never expected to win although I thought in the last week it could go right to the wire.

Still too early to say that won't happen but it's looking increasingly like it won't.

That said if Yes gets about 46% of the vote like they did in Clackmannanshire they might not have won the referendum but that is a sizable chunk of the population and my guess is that the coming months and years will more likely see people regretting voting No than regretting voting Yes.

Given that 500,000 English people live in Scotland and I'm guessing the vast majority of those voted No, effectively giving No 500,000 votes of a start and probably also an overwhelming No vote among older voters, long term this is not a discouraging result.

The under 40's seem to be mostly Yes so even if this is a defeat, it's also a big step forward for independence movement. More powers to Holyrood will only embolden more voters.

We might have to wait another generation, although who knows what can happen before then, but the struggle will go on.

Don't be naive Westminster will have a constitutional amendment that requires two thirds majority next time, this was our only chance.

What to do at the next UK general election? Vote SNP or abstain from voting?

Labour can f**k right off from here on for me.

That's the tough one for me, definitely will vote SNP in the Scottish but not sure what i would do in the general as Labour//Tories/UKIP/Lib Dems can all get stuffed, they all jumped into bed together and showed their true colours, that wont be forgotten

So as you SNP or abstain?

He and the greens really deserve a strong result in 2016. I might vote for them, I don't know but I know/highly doubt I will be voting for a Westminster party again any time soon.

Yeah, people who voted Green in May, allowing UKIP to sneak in were being cretins, but I do think the Greens might deserve a sneaky 2nd vote next time round. The problem is that in this area, a constituency vote for the SNP still might not be enough to turf out the biggest floating turd at Holyrood. Sturgeon will need to find an inspiring programme in order to secure both votes.

No idea why anyone is surprised that Orkney is 2/3rds No.

How so, do you think if he leaves it will help or hinder SNP?

Could see a slight fracture or loss of discipline.

As Rico says though probably a lot of folk like me never voted SNP before but plan to now.

I think it would be bad news.

I don't think Sturgeon is remotely as good and i don't think she all prove as able to manage the division that will take place following the defeat.

Most of the folk voting no are pensioners. Without sounding mean, a referendum once the current old gen die off will produce different results

This is quite clearly bollocks based on the first two votes.

Archived