Up all night thread

1320Lichtie

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big hope for Yes was high turnout in Dundee & Glasgow, with wins of around the 55% mark on a high turnout in those two being able to cancel out the smaller regions going No. With turnouts under 80%, hope is fading fast.

Though it does speak volumes about political engagement that turnouts of 75%+ are being met with shock on the basis that they are far lower than expected.

I'm a Yes voter and I never expected to win although I thought in the last week it could go right to the wire.

Still too early to say that won't happen but it's looking increasingly like it won't.

That said if Yes gets about 46% of the vote like they did in Clackmannanshire they might not have won the referendum but that is a sizable chunk of the population and my guess is that the coming months and years will more likely see people regretting voting No than regretting voting Yes.

Given that 500,000 English people live in Scotland and I'm guessing the vast majority of those voted No, effectively giving No 500,000 votes of a start and probably also an overwhelming No vote among older voters, long term this is not a discouraging result.

The under 40's seem to be mostly Yes so even if this is a defeat, it's also a big step forward for independence movement. More powers to Holyrood will only embolden more voters.

We might have to wait another generation, although who knows what can happen before then, but the struggle will go on.

It's a good post and fair summary but doesn't take away from the disappointment

Only way to get another chance in our lifetimes is to keep voting SNP in the Scottish Elections, we cannot let the issue disappear, too many of us are not happy under Westminster rule and as you say it will probably be decided by the English/Older vote this time

He has no need to.

He's been a shining light for Yes. Great guy.

He and the greens really deserve a strong result in 2016. I might vote for them, I don't know but I know/highly doubt I will be voting for a Westminster party again any time soon.

Tommy Sheridan will be on BBC at 4am and will be challenging Nick Robinson and the media bias. Could be an entertaining watch

Will he be revising his 67% Yes prediction?

Absolute scumbag.

Archived