Arbroath vs Elgin City

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should have won about 4-0 with all the chances we missed. Kevin Buchan probably should have had 2 but his composure is shockingly poor.

Defensively I thought we were good again yesterday with even Johnstone having a good game. His last ditch tackle in injury time if the 1st time was just superb.

We should have won about 4-0 with all the chances we missed. Kevin Buchan probably should have had 2 but his composure is shockingly poor.

Defensively I thought we were good again yesterday with even Johnstone having a good game. His last ditch tackle in injury time if the 1st time was just superb.

was helped by the fact it took the Elgin player an "age" to get his shot off' but it is correct we had enough chances to win several games and if the boss wins manager of the month again, he cant accept it, can he :P

Dont be too quick to criticise the strikers. Yes could have had more but cant fault their enthusiasm and effort.

5 points clear at the top of the table....im absolutely delighted just hope the run keeps going and we can avoid injury to them.

Thought Shagger was superb again yesterday. His work rate is 2nd to none

No argument there...sets a great example to the young guns. Their composure will develop. The balance in the team right now is excellent the boys are working for each other. The yellows we picked up were an overspill from the will to win!

Long may that continue!!!!!

Am I the only person who thought that was a really poor standard of football yesterday? The difference in quality between yesterdays games and the division above this really is rather big in my opinion. The first half was one of the worst 45 minutes of football in terms of the quality that I've seen us involved in for years!

Irrelevent of how many chances we had (we had a load of them, but lacked the quality to finish them, or to even get half of them on the bloody target!) the quality of football on show was very poor, and I don't think we ever got started at all yesterday. Certainly at no point in the game did we have it under control.

These things happen though, you can't just turn up and expect to dominate a match and score 3/4 goals every week. Defensively I thought we were solid enough, as mentioned Johnstone did very well over the piece and I think Kev Nicoll was superb again (who was it who suggested we played him there and was shot down by everyone else? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:).

Outside of the defence I think the midfield and forwards all had distinctly average games to be honest, Simon Murray included. Si must have had 10 or so good chances yesterday, and he himself will be disappointed he only took one of them. I really like Simon Murray and really hope he is a success at Gayfield for a number of reasons, but I'm not too sure why he would get man of the match for yesterdays performance? As always, he did a lot of work and saw a lot of the ball, but his finishing was poor as was his final ball when he wasn't going for goal. Surely putting the work in and always offering yourself as an option to receive the all are fairly standard things for a striker to be doing? I think Si is a better player than yesterdays showing, but at the end of the day he got a goal, a goal which won us the game, and that is the most important thing. I really hope he gets a good run of games in the team as I do think he's proven the best partner upfront for Shagger, due to Kevin Buchan spending too much time impersonating a statue rather than working to win the ball back like Shagger/ Simon Murray/ Jack Smith do.

I royally agree with you Simon that the standard in show was poor. I didn't think Carriero played particularly well but a few boys round me were practically wanking off over his performance. I think Hunter made the difference. His introduction made us look a lot better in the middle of the park.

Am I the only person who thought that was a really poor standard of football yesterday? The difference in quality between yesterdays games and the division above this really is rather big in my opinion. The first half was one of the worst 45 minutes of football in terms of the quality that I've seen us involved in for years!

Irrelevent of how many chances we had (we had a load of them, but lacked the quality to finish them, or to even get half of them on the bloody target!) the quality of football on show was very poor, and I don't think we ever got started at all yesterday. Certainly at no point in the game did we have it under control.

These things happen though, you can't just turn up and expect to dominate a match and score 3/4 goals every week. Defensively I thought we were solid enough, as mentioned Johnstone did very well over the piece and I think Kev Nicoll was superb again (who was it who suggested we played him there and was shot down by everyone else? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:).

Outside of the defence I think the midfield and forwards all had distinctly average games to be honest, Simon Murray included. Si must have had 10 or so good chances yesterday, and he himself will be disappointed he only took one of them. I really like Simon Murray and really hope he is a success at Gayfield for a number of reasons, but I'm not too sure why he would get man of the match for yesterdays performance? As always, he did a lot of work and saw a lot of the ball, but his finishing was poor as was his final ball when he wasn't going for goal. Surely putting the work in and always offering yourself as an option to receive the all are fairly standard things for a striker to be doing? I think Si is a better player than yesterdays showing, but at the end of the day he got a goal, a goal which won us the game, and that is the most important thing. I really hope he gets a good run of games in the team as I do think he's proven the best partner upfront for Shagger, due to Kevin Buchan spending too much time impersonating a statue rather than working to win the ball back like Shagger/ Simon Murray/ Jack Smith do.

The first half was really poor but not as bad as the first half of the East Fife game when the ball got a real battering and the quality of the football this season is definitely a class below the division above but that's what you would expect in a lower division.we played well in the second half yesterday apart from finishing off the chances we made the fact we made so many chances tells me we played ok,i like Simon Murray but at times i wish he would lift his head to see what's around him when he is on the ball but he's scoring so can't be to critical,Agree about Buchan not a fan of him thought Carriero was pretty average yesterday but we do have a good team spirit and that does count for a lot imo but by and large a poor first half but a much improved second 45 from us and another 3 points in the poke

Simon I said yesterday that they must be the worst footballing side I've seen at Gayfield for years, the amount of times they gave a simple pass away was frightening and they only looked capable of scoring from set plays. I thought the quality from us was good right up until the final ball/shot which was incredibly frustrating as we could of had a barrow load if we were more sharper/showed more quality with the final ball/shot. Basically I thought we played good stuff right up until the crucial moment and the midfielders and strikers had good games on the whole but only because we won it would be different if we hadn't scored in the end, it was like a training game at times the amount of times we waltzed through them but we just showed no quality in the final 3rd which hasn't been like us so far this season. Murray took his goal superbly and I'm really starting to like the guy looks dangerous all the time and with more games I'm sure he will start scoring even more and with a guy like Shagger up with him it'll improve him even more as the guys work rate is incredible and he's a real experienced head up there and holds it up superbly. Bring on the Mo!

Also Nicoll/Zoubhadi have been a revelation East Fife game aside. Where everybody had a shocker to be fair and Whatley has slotted in very well at right back. Defence has sort of luckily came together itself. :lol:

I rarely agree with you, but you are right on this, it does appear the defence has come "right" almost by fluke, but there is one thing, Whately is obviously a good footballer, change of position has not caused a problem for him at all

Once again players are being singled out as good, bad or indifferent. If I had to single out something from yesterday it would the introduction of Hunter. We really began to dominate when he came on but it is a team game and players will have good and bad games throughout the season. As for Bobby, last season he seemed to have more licence to "roam" to find space, switch wings with Cook which is not the case with McBride. He seems to be restricted to a right side midfielder this season but will pick up his share of goals as the season progresses I'm sure. Nice feeling to be top of the pile tho. Long may we stay there.

Once again players are being singled out as good, bad or indifferent. If I had to single out something from yesterday it would the introduction of Hunter. We really began to dominate when he came on but it is a team game and players will have good and bad games throughout the season. As for Bobby, last season he seemed to have more licence to "roam" to find space, switch wings with Cook which is not the case with McBride. He seems to be restricted to a right side midfielder this season but will pick up his share of goals as the season progresses I'm sure. Nice feeling to be top of the pile tho. Long may we stay there.

Amen.

Think the only real bad game he has had has been EF at home in my opinion. Been very good in some games especially the one away to QP, wasn't amazing today but still played quite well think the whole team had the same problem as him today with the final ball/pass maybe being a bit harsh? Still one of our best players and one of the guys that must play every week, love the guy and his attitude towards AFC and the passion he shows. Hope he sees out his time at Gayfield.

I am not saying BL has been bad, just that he has not been as impactive or influential as last season. Someone else has mentioned that his freedom to roam and swap wings has been affected by having McBride on the left wing, which I think is a very valid point.

I think bobby would work better on the left hand side as he looks at his best when running inside the defenders, onto his left foot when he plays on the right. So if he could run in onto his stronger foot then I think he'd be better.

Iv always thought this, either moore isnt a fan of switching wingers or mcbride isnt comfortable working on the right

Archived