NAW voters

1320Lichtie

Lads no arguing/debating please, just a few quick questions after speaking to people who voted NO in work today.

Do you ever want to see Scotland as an Independent nation?

Did you want to vote YES this time but were not convinced by the YES sides argument?

Do you think in a future referendum you could be tempted to vote YES if Westminster does not deliver or the YES sides argument is more solid?

Do you think regardless of feelings the Union will last forever?

Being the only country to reject independence how do you feel about that?

What were your main reasons for voting NO in short bullet points?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice objective questions. Good thread........

Well im going off the general feeling I have had from speaking to Naws, some wanted to do it, some want us in the Union forever, some say they could be tempted if there was another one depending on what happens now. If you could atleast answer them it would be a help to me. :)

Lads no arguing/debating please, just a few quick questions after speaking to people who voted NO in work today.

Did you want to vote YES this time but were not convinced by the YES sides argument?

Do you think in a future referendum you could be tempted to vote YES if Westminster does not deliver or the YES sides argument is more solid?

1. Doesn't bother me. I'll look at it fresh if it ever crops up again. Its not something that I obsess over

2. Didn't have a starting point. When I realised it was a left wing critique of WM it wasnt really my thing.

3. yes, although I dont give a f**k about Holyrood. If they have the ability to pick my pocket then I'll sit up and take notice

4. Nothing is forever

5. Pleased, as it would have caused a lot of completely unnecessary pain for ordinary people.

6. All economic. The plan being brought forward was uncosted, badly thought out uter drivel. It would have destroyed any of the good bits we do have and fucked over everything else.

cos am a pyooor die hard proddy who hates catholics. yasssss w.a.t.p

Do you ever want to see Scotland as an Independent nation? Contingent on the conditions and plan to achieve this supported by a NUMBER of external and internal parties

Did you want to vote YES this time but were not convinced by the YES sides argument? No because I wasn't convinced.

Do you think in a future referendum you could be tempted to vote YES if Westminster does not deliver or the YES sides argument is more solid? If it's another case of "ach give this a go because it might be better. We don't have any evidence and we're sick of scaremongering" nope.

Do you think regardless of feelings the Union will last forever? Hard to predict. it all depends on the economy which is built on mortgaged debt so it doesn't look good.

Being the only country to reject independence how do you feel about that? Leading question. I'm happy we didn't trust a nutter without a plan.

What were your main reasons for voting NO in short bullet points? The simple fact that there was no plan and a leader who needed to work on a policy of divisiveness to gain support which alienated business and political figures at home and abroad.

1. Doesn't bother me. I'll look at it fresh if it ever crops up again. Its not something that I obsess over

2. Didn't have a starting point. When I realised it was a left wing critique of WM it wasnt really my thing.

3. yes, although I dont give a f**k about Holyrood. If they have the ability to pick my pocket then I'll sit up and take notice

4. Nothing is forever

5. Pleased, as it would have caused a lot of completely unnecessary pain for ordinary people.

6. All economic. The plan being brought forward was uncosted, badly thought out uter drivel. It would have destroyed any of the good bits we do have and fucked over everything else.

Thank you Reynard. I can see your human side in this post. :thumsup2

nah in all seriousness I will do my best to answer these

-yes if the timing and policies are right and acheivable.

-no I did not this time as I did not feel snp's policies were correct or acheivable and a huge gamble

-is this not more or less the first question?

-In a way yes , but I believe we are going to see the 4 countries become more involved with running themselves over the next 20 or so years.

-I think it is an irrelevant point, every countries populations have differing reasons for rejecting or accepting their indepnedence so I feel nothing really to that point

-wether you like it or not my biggest concern was uncertainity over a variety of matters and the yes sides inability to answer these questions when put infront of them.

No

No, I was probably always going to vote no although could have wavered had the Yes case been more solid

No, i'm sure westminster will fail to deliver some / most of what was promised, that is the nature of this sort of thing, had it been a Yes the SNP / Yes campaign would have failed to deliver a lot of what was promised, I'm guessing most Yes voters wouldn't have changed their minds though

Yes for the forseeable future (100+ years) although in a differing format, less power at Westminster with some powers devolved others going to Brussels

I'm quite happy as the circumstances are very different to most other countries who have considered independence. Other countries were either colonial subjects of countries like Britain, Spain, Belgium etc or contolled by other outside powers such as the former Soviet nations. Scotland on the other hand was neither of these things and has been part of the union for over 300 years. A closer example to ours would be Prussia seeking to leave Germany which it would not do as it is stronger as part of the German nation than on its own.

Feeling that Scotland has gained far more being part of the Union than it has cost it and will continue to do so

Uncertainty over currency, pensions, mortgages etc

Likelyhood of dmage to the economy in the short / medium term

A feeling of being British rather than Scottish

Do you ever want to see Scotland as an Independent nation? Possibly - Given a clear and concise economic plan.

Did you want to vote YES this time but were not convinced by the YES sides argument? No. I was always going to vote No unless I could be convinced by the key economic issues.

Do you think in a future referendum you could be tempted to vote YES if Westminster does not deliver or the YES sides argument is more solid? Yes possibly - I think people want to see more a locale engaging Political system.....perhaps as part of the UK but this remains to be seen. However, I would still seek clarity over an iScotland's economic plans to vote Yes regardless.

Do you think regardless of feelings the Union will last forever? I'm no more of a Union "lover" than I am a Scotland "hater" for voting No. I'm already a 40% tax payer but cannot deny that in the past I've benefited from free education and health care courtesy of the Union.

Being the only country to reject independence how do you feel about that? Doesn't even enter my thoughts.......I didn't vote with my heart and I won't be guilt tripped into thinking I should have.

What were your main reasons for voting NO in short bullet points? Lack of economic clarity.....particularly the currency.

Puerto Rico - on 3 occasions and fourth time where they voted to join the USA.

One could also make a case for Quebec.

They've never been an actual state. A couple of years ago they voted to rescind their territorial status but this has yet to be granted.

They've never been an actual state. A couple of years ago they voted to rescind their territorial status but this has yet to be granted.

Who are you talking about here?

Quebec is as much of a country as Scotland is. Its up to individuals how they define country.

Archived