NAW voters

1320Lichtie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What were your main reasons for voting NO in short bullet points?

1. The economic case didn't stack up. Currency issues are "short-term" in the sense they'd be sorted out one way or another, but nevertheless you need a genuinely good reason to vote yourself into a short-term financial crisis and that's where we'd be heading if we didn't sort the currency out properly. More damaging, however, is that the long-term fiscal projections would have us being poorer even if we did get over the short-term issues (short of some mythical "growth factor" or discovering more oil).

2. We're already closely integrated with the rest of the UK economically, culturally, socially (and so on). We benefit from that - sharing a currency is a good thing, sharing market regulations is a good thing, having shared environmental policies, for instance, benefits everyone - so the question should be what decisions we share and what decisions we make in Edinburgh, not whether we should sever every formal tie with the rest of the UK just to be "independent" (while still in reality being tied to UK decisions anyway). If you stop thinking in terms of nation states/flags and just think about what kind of political system benefits the people who live here then independence genuinely has no real benefits over a federal solution in my eyes (so why not push for that instead?)

3. Whether anybody wants to admit it or not, Scottish nationalism is still nationalism. It's based on the idea that the solution to problems isn't found in particular policies, but in appeals to identity and in apportioning blame for every ill in society on to people/places that aren't part of "our" group. All nationalism functions on that basis - in the SNP's case the external influence we need to get rid of is London so we have a series of vaguely plausible arguments put forward as to why getting rid of this influence will improve our lot (they're stealing our resources to build fancy train systems, they're all right-wing whereas we're left-wing, they're all Eurosceptic whereas we're pro-EU, they're all warmongers whereas we're pacifists... and so on).

If people want to buy into that kind of stuff then fine, but I detest this kind of identity politics and I have no intention of joining a movement built on that basis. I want evidence-based policy that actually improves our lives, not populist blame politics. The fact that the SNP are 'civic nationalists' (i.e. they define our group on the basis of who lives here, not ethnicity) doesn't make their political platform any more logical (just less unpleasant than other forms of nationalism).

Everyone's answer is basically. "Guarantee me more money and I'd vote yes" :lol:

Nah that's harsh - and unhelpful.

The thing that strikes me is the 'feel British' element.

I don't feel British at all - and I'm convinced that a majority of Scots don't feel British enough to vote against independence. There's a big chunk out there that see the UK as their nation and don't want to see that broken up - which is absolutely fine.

The wealthy were also always going to be against - given the nature of the campaign. Again, understandable (although selfish)

Its the rest that shat it.

Montenegro. They're independent now, but the first time was a No vote.

Bermuda as well.

New Caledonia.

ETA: I don't think any of this really matters. It might be unusual, but Scotland isn't the first country to reject independence at the ballot box, and it won't be the last. Different places have their own sets of circumstances, and I don't think there are that many places in the World that are that comparable to the situation Scotland is in. The UK isn't (a few pockets excepted) riven by ethnic or sectarian rivalries. Nor is Scotland a colonial outpost oppressed by a distant power.

Everyone's answer is basically. "Guarantee me more money and I'd vote yes" :lol:

None have said guarantee me more money.

Being convinced that the economic proposals were good enough to keep a roof over your head & food on the table let alone maintaining your current lifestyle weren't.

Nah that's harsh - and unhelpful.

The thing that strikes me is the 'feel British' element.

I don't feel British at all - and I'm convinced that a majority of Scots don't feel British enough to vote against independence. There's a big chunk out there that see the UK as their nation and don't want to see that broken up - which is absolutely fine.

The wealthy were also always going to be against - given the nature of the campaign. Again, understandable (although selfish)

Its the rest that shat it.

Define "wealthy" and if the "poor" were only voting for independence in the hope that they would get a "fairer" handout......isn't that selfish by the same account?

New Caledonia.

ETA: I don't think any of this really matters. It might be unusual, but Scotland isn't the first country to reject independence at the ballot box, and it won't be the last. Different places have their own sets of circumstances, and I don't think there are that many places in the World that are that comparable to the situation Scotland is in. The UK isn't (a few pockets excepted) riven by ethnic or sectarian rivalries. Nor is Scotland a colonial outpost oppressed by a distant power.

Yeah I think a problem that Yes faced from the outset was that a good proportion of people living in Scotland do indeed get a good deal out of the country being in the Union.

Also didn't the last census have about 8% as classing themselves as British only? Surely they're all automatically a No?

At the end of the day, if the Union was a genuinely equal partnership between the four countries, the SNP would be nowhere and a referendum wouldn't have happened.

None have said guarantee me more money.

Being convinced that the economic proposals were good enough to keep a roof over your head & food on the table let alone maintaining your current lifestyle weren't.

If Salmond had guaranteed me more money i'd have voted yes. I still want that holiday house in Portugal.

That's pretty melodramatic in my opinion mate.

I was prepared in fact even expected, a wee hit financially initially with a Yes, but I wouldn't go as far as that(roof and food).

I do get the economic plans were a bit half baked for a lot of people, especially on the currency, but I don't think there will ever be a situation where it's all mapped out. There's always going to be imponderables in a referendum on massive constitutional change.

Archived