Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Bowers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it and think he's very amusing. I didn't/don't watch Mock the Week (because it's absolutely woeful) so I wasn't aware of him until I caught an episode of this by chance. The episode on Scottish independence was very funny.

Him and Andy Zaltzman covered scottish indy in ep 273 of the bugle. It was refreshing to hear Andy come out with stuff that wasn't the usual shite from the london media.

http://thebuglepodcast.com/bugle-273-season-2/

Its a shame that we dont have a good uk version of this format of show.

It highlights the complete crap on British tv trying to do the funny news show like russel howard, 10'clock live etc.

I agree. Just watched the latest episode on Sky about American beauty pageants and it's clear that the team do a hell of a lot of research on their subjects beforehand. On a UK programme they would just throw a couple of lazy stereotype gags that you can see coming a mile off.

Good mention of Clackmannanshire on the show as well :D

PS - your wee mention of Russell Howard just made me realise how much I hate the twitchy-eyed c**t.

I'd agree about Russel Howard but 10 'o clock live is pretty decent.

Maybe take the same show but expand it a bit? Add frankie boyle to appeal mainly to one class of folks and bremner bird and fortune for another and you'd have a quality broadd spectrum satire show imo.

10 O'Clock Live was pretty poor. It had some funny moments but overall was sub standard. Apparently the introduction of that was why they binned The Daily Show from More 4! I watched it for a bit while I was at uni - the episode where Dick Cheney shot his pal while hunting was fantastic.

I don't know why they didn't record 10 o clock live (apart from the obvious name change). I thought the show was very funny at times but also quite sloppy and cringey as well. Get it slick and it would take the pressure off the presenters.

Have they just binned it?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived