General Election 2015

Ludo*1

What the feck is 'tackling austerity'? This is today's big line from Labour. Given that the party is, according to Ed Balls, sticking to Tory spending fans that's crap. Day one and my feeble intelligence is already insulted.

Talking of misdirection, the past five years never really took place and it was all the fault of the nasty Tories. That's what the LibDems are saying.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really want a Labour or Tory government, but it's what we're going to get. So... jmothecat, what do you say to someone who feels that way in order to make them change their mind and vote Labour?

I would argue that a Labour government is better than a Tory one. If that doesn't matter to you, or you agree but you believe voting for another party has another benefit that outweighs the benefit of voting Labour then I'm probably unlikely to convince you to change your vote. All else I could do is list policies I agree with that Labour are proposing, and ones I disagree with that the Tories are proposing and hope there is some common ground, but accepting it's probably a waste of time.

Personally though if I had voted Yes, and independence or increased Scottish powers were any of the most important issues to me politically I doubt there would be anything that would change my vote away from the SNP.

The SNP will destroy this election and should demand immediate Devo Max powers, then watch them make a complete f*ckin arse of it, a price worth paying? Aye probably, then we'll wake up!!

:lol:

I think Rob still hasn't gotten over the fact that Glasgow rejected bigotry, sectarianism, out-of-date royalty and just general Sevco-related nonsense in September, in favour of creating a modern, independent country.

greggy.png

A labour govt., whether backed by the SNP or not, will create even more beggars on the streets of the UK than we are can presently see on the streets of Spain, Portugal and Greece.

Have they learned nothing from the mess they helped get us into during their last stint in charge?

Its not deflection. The SNP has repeatedly said it doesn't want a tory government or a tory led government. Now its widely accepted that the main party of government will be one of 2. The SNP is then hitching itself to the wagon of Labour being in 'power' with government policy influenced by the SNP and their outlook in return for support of some/most/all policies.

So the SNP has itself identified (allegedly in my opinion) that avoiding a tory government is a main outcome. The best way of doing that is to vote labour. To not doing so is to risk allowing the tories to get enough seats to deliver promises to other parties that would get them in again.

So feel free to criticise the vote SNP get tory position. But its the same political engineering as vote SNP to get labour.

We've voted Labour in droves before and still got Tory in London. We need a strong Scottish voice, not a branch office directed from a London HQ that is getting more and more right-wing. In fact, has Labour ruled out a deal with Ukip? Farage and co must love their anti-immigration mugs.

Good ad from the SNP btw. Apologies if posted above somewhere.

https://youtu.be/ZcTBPuPHv-8

We don't know that they will prop up a Labour government. If you want a Labour government, vote Labour, I want a Labour government so I'm voting Labour.

I don't really care about giving Scotland a 'massive voice', and I'm not entirely sure what that means anyway or why we need a voice any bigger than the significant one we already have. We've got our own parliament, with plenty of powers and a UK government who (apparently regardless of party in government) continually give us more. I think our voice is already disproportionately loud.

Also I don't want to get rid of the Lords and tbh can't see Labour going for that anyway.

I really hope Labour try and sell themselves like this. The rout would be even more decisive :lol:

I really hope Labour try and sell themselves like this. The rout would be even more decisive :lol:

Of course they won't. There's only one party which say what they think and they look like they may well lose their one MP next month.

Though I should say I don't speak for all of Labour on this or anything else. I've spent most Labour meetings either dismayed at everyone else or making everyone else dismayed at me. Most of Scottish labour will be leaping about telling everyone how wonderfully pro-Scotland they are. Personally I don't really care about that sort of thing, as long as they aren't anti-Scottish or unfair to Scotland I'm happy.

Of course they won't. There's only one party which say what they think and they look like they may well lose their one MP next month.

Though I should say I don't speak for all of Labour on this or anything else. I've spent most Labour meetings either dismayed at everyone else or making everyone else dismayed at me. Most of Scottish labour will be leaping about telling everyone how wonderfully pro-Scotland they are. Personally I don't really care about that sort of thing, as long as they aren't anti-Scottish or unfair to Scotland I'm happy.

Surely teaming up with a toxic party in Scotland, and then breaking a vow to our people, is pretty unfair on Scotland?

Surely teaming up with a toxic party in Scotland, and then breaking a vow to our people, is pretty unfair on Scotland?

They are toxic because people perceive them as being toxic. I don't think the Tories are anti-Scottish, they are just anti-most things Scotland and I agree with. Doesn't make them anti-Scottish, no matter what Labour and the SNP have spent the past 30 years claiming.

They delivered the vow. Though I concede that was the biggest mistake of the campaign. Needless and gave the SNP a convenient excuse for losing their referendum. It was inevitable they would claim, no matter what concessions given, that the SNP would claim it was not delivered and that was what won it.

Archived