General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AV is one of the worst versions of PR though. I think that's the only reason the Tories agreed to that referendum.

I actually agree, but in my defence it was more to convey three-fold:-

1. That poster is utterly abhorrent.

2. Proportional to me, was a foot in the door towards going for something more progressive something like STV.

3. To shut up the fandans that all of a sudden want AV because now it suits them.

The Union is being discussed a lot since the election, talking about the potential break up of the UK

It is which is great, independence is back on the agenda and people are talking about the break-up of the UK as a real possibility. Awesome.

At least someone actually understands the whole wage issue.

The number of people saying you just need to blindly put the minimum wage up to the 'living wage'. All this would do is raise businesses costs. Assuming the absorb their costs into their pricing structure they would just raise the price of their products and nobody would be any better off as inflation would just lift prices up in line with the higher pay. It's pretty basic.

It would have to be met with lower class 1A contributions from employers so they could afford the raise in the cost of increased wages without increasing prices.

Some People just seem to think companies can Increase wages and everything will be the same.

Or alternatively business could pay a wage that doea not need the government to subsidise. Perhaps reducing dividends and executive pay could contribute to this. Once business employed measures like this then the government would be able to reduce taxes as the welfare budget would be minimal.

"In work welfare" has no place in a rich, civilised society. The need for an overall progressive tax system is well overdue. The scandal of this country is that the poorest are contributing proportionately more than the wealthiest.

The fact that people fail to realise that taxpayers are subsidising shareholder payments is the type of ignorance that needs.to be erradicated. The sooner the better.

strichener's spot on. Why is profit reduction never an option in these sort of discussions.

I have run my own small business for almost 20 years. I pay above the living wage, it has not bankrupted me. The banker-driven greed-driven recession did come close to doing so though.

I see people on FaceBook complaining about the voting system in the UK.

They had the chance to vote for a different voting system,and clearly it wasn't the right one. So really they shouldn't moan about something they voted for in the first place.

Many talking about it as an inevitability rather than a mere possibility......

Even Ed in his "victory" speech when elected was mentioning the new Gov has to try and keep the country together etc...

You're right, they do speak about it as an inevitability

The Union is being discussed a lot since the election, talking about the potential break up of the UK

French journalist on earlier giving out about right wing press in england, their treatment of Scotland and saying Europe would embrace an independent Scotland with open arms.

What the hell is she doing there?

Last time I checked Firhill did not fall into the Paisley and Renfrewshire South constituency.

Watching a football match.

Watching a football match.

Hmm, Partick Thistle vs Hamilton Academical - I'd hardly call that football. All jokes aside, should she not be preparing for her new job?

I doubt this will go down well with her constituents. Especially as she is already something of a polarising figure.

Archived