Hollyrood 2016

Desert Nomad

Hopefully the Greens win at least one seat in every region which would give them a minimum of eight MSPs. There will obviously be no Margo MacDonald on the list in the Lothians next year sadly so that should go to either the SNP or Greens.

I'm seriously considering voting Green next year, as the Scottish party comes across as far more capable and sensible than their England and Wales counterparts, and I also get the impression they'd do a good job at a local level, with SNP the bigger and better voice at Westminster. No concrete reasons for any of this, just a feeling at the moment.

I'll obviously do a bit of proper research after the GE, where hopefully my vote for SNP will contribute to howking out the long-standing Labour candidate.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seriously considering voting Green next year, as the Scottish party comes across as far more capable and sensible than their England and Wales counterparts, and I also get the impression they'd do a good job at a local level, with SNP the bigger and better voice at Westminster. No concrete reasons for any of this, just a feeling at the moment.

I'll obviously do a bit of proper research after the GE, where hopefully my vote for SNP will contribute to howking out the long-standing Labour candidate.

If it's just a feeling then don't worry, the doc can give you a pill for that, and the prescription will be free.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to finish the job of turning Scottish Labour into an irrelevant rump outfit; 'doing a Sevco', in other words.

jj.png

Totally, the task now is to make sure Labour take an absolute hammering at every single election, starting with Holyrood next year which is the most important. But every election, European, Council everything. Will never forgive Labour and want to keep kicking them till they're long past dead.

Only way it would happen is if they made a pact and the SNP didnt stand on the list. It would probably cost the SNP 15-20 seats but the Green Party could possibly win 40 of their own from the list

the SNP are ideologically completely different from the greens, I don't know why the greens would be interested

A result like last night again in twelve months and the SNP will get a majority without needing a single list vote. :lol:

Fucking glorious.

Ridiculously early Bairn forecast

SNP: 77

Labour: 25

Tories: 15

Greens: 9

Liberal Democrats: 3

SNP majority of 25

That's a healthy pro-indy majority. We should stick to the no referendum talk and just declare UDI. :thumsup2

Yeah me too, and for similar reasons.

I'd be happy with a permanent wedge of 50+ SNP MPs at Westminster from now on, gradually drawing out more powers for Holyrood as time goes by. I'm content that Scotland isn't a 'one party state' because of the diversity that Holyrood's Additional Member System delivers, which enables me to vote for the likes of the Green party with a realistic chance of them getting seats in parliament.

Holyrood is where Scottish Labour, etc should focus their efforts going forward because it will be an increasingly strong parliament that they can have more hope of influencing, because they don't have much of a way back at Westminster with the SNP likely to stand for Scotland's interests better than they ever could, and also because Evel is likely to further diminish any influence that Scottish MPs do have.

If this election was tomorrow the SNP would win nearly all of the 73 FPTP seats.

Orkney likely stays LD (Shetland going SNP)

Tories would have a sniff at winning either Dumfriesshire or Ettrick, Roxborough & Berwickshire

Either way, SNP will have a full majority without having to worry about the list

This creates an interesting problem for the 50% of people that vote SNP now

They could bloc vote SNP in hope of returning an extra 8 seats through the list, aiming to mimic what happened in the North East region in 2011 where the SNP vote is so strong that they win all the constituencies and still pick up a list vote, or they could transfer almost completely to the Green party, leave the SNP almost voteless on the list and pick up 32 seats for the Greens

Could be looking at the Greens as the second largest party and some 100/129 MSPs either SNP or Green

I'll certainly be lending the greens my support on the list. I live in Glasgow, so I very much doubt it'll anything other than SNP in the constituencies anyway, and The Greens horrendously under-represented at Holyrood at the moment.

SNP are almost guaranteed to be in power after 2016 anyway. Even if they fail to get a majority, you'd have to think the Greens will push them over the line.

I'll certainly be lending the greens my support on the list. I live in Glasgow, so I very much doubt it'll anything other than SNP in the constituencies anyway, and The Greens horrendously under-represented at Holyrood at the moment.

SNP are almost guaranteed to be in power after 2016 anyway. Even if they fail to get a majority, you'd have to think the Greens will push them over the line.

Barring a major gaffe I don't see any way the SNP won't have a majority.

More than half of the seats are elected using FPTP on boundaries very similar to the general election. Also, Edinburgh South is already an SNP seat at Holyrood, so the only seats in Scotland that will be electing from a position of not having an SNP incumbent at either parliament are Dumfriesshire (Tory WM seat, Labour HR seat), Orkney and Shetland (Two separate seats at HR, and there are rumours that Shetland voted SNP)

I'll more than likely go SNP/Tory next year.

EDIT: Actually, no. I'm in Angus and not Dundee for Scottish Parliament so I'll probably go Tory/Tory.

Archived