Hong Kong

Its all getting pretty tense out there as the deadline set by the protesters for Chief Executive, Leung Chun Ying to resign has now passed.

I've many friends out there and they say the whole atmosphere has changed in the last 24 hours, with protesters threatening to occupy government buildings and apparently, Police stocking up on rubber bullets and tear gas.

I'm due to fly out there on business next weekend, so hopefully it doesn't all kick off, but I cant see the Chinese Gov't, sitting back and watching all of this much longer, without taking some action :(

They've got far more democracy under the Chinese than they ever had under the British, apart from the few months before handover when Chris Patten, directly appointed as Governer/Ruler by London, rushed through some voting rights.

I found this on The Diplomat's website. They have some interesting articles (or at least from an "outsider" perspective they do) on the whole thing.

So China’s leaders face a moment of truth: open the door to political competition in Hong Kong and what it may portend for the marketplace of ideas in the rest of China, or nakedly break a public written commitment to the people of Hong Kong, use massive force to quell the protests, and squander what is left of the CCP’s waning moral legitimacy.

Lose/Lose situation for the CPC. Mind you, who is going to hold them to account if they find a way to stop the protests? The Chinese foreign minister came out yesterday (I think) warning everyone to respect Chinese sovereignty and to not meddle in domestic issues. The US presumably have enough on their plate for the time being, what with going back into the Middle East.

Surely the UK has a moral responsibility to speak up.

The UK are the last people who should speak up. We refused them democracy under our rule, and agreed the treaty with China that Beijing is sticking to, to the letter if not the spirit.

Surely the UK has a moral responsibility to speak up.

Our banks and very large law firms do too much business with China wrt takeovers, mergers, stock-market floats and 'financial instruments', much of which goes through HK, for the government ever to say anything to China. The City's desire to be a centre for renminbi business would also be fucked.

I go there next week on business for 3 days. Could be fun. Will wear a 45 Tshirt and stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow man in the search for more democracy.

Will also do a fair bit of shopping to avoid giving the British state any tax. 8)

A Hong Konger friend of mine shared this link with me. I'll leave it here

Was that a parody of RT? Same amount of what ifs and maybes, and few facts. And the shocker revelation that Vietnam might prefer dealing with their last but one invader, USA, rather than their most recent one, China.

Surely the UK should be getting involved? It's our moral duty :unsure:

No emergency parliament meetings about air strikes either. Funny that. The Government must be too busy kicking ten bells of shit out of their GP's to notice.

I would cancel that trip, or at least delay it.

Seems it is spreading to the chinese mainland with a BBC reporter being pushed around a bit and press cards confiscated, some local artists being 'dragged away' and now not returning calls, the Chinese authorities have not changed a bit since Tiananmen, draconian as ever.

Phooey!

Right now I'm loving this.

The Largest government on earth who also happens to be one of the most oppressive is utterly bricking it from some schoolkids.

All they have on Chinese News (CCTV on SKY 510) is some really cute pandas.

Archived