Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

My niece is called Evangeline. When she was born I assumed that it would be shortened to Eva but that's not the case and my Sister (and her rugby playing fanny of a husband) get upset if people don't refer to her by her full name.

Ooh, that's actually a worse crime than giving your wean one of these victim names; parents who throw a fit when folk call them anything other than exactly what's written on their birth certificate. They're not dolls, you creepy weirdos - you don't get to control everything. I'll call your sprog Shitebag if I damned well feel like it :angry:

Ooh, that's actually a worse crime than giving your wean one of these victim names; parents who throw a fit when folk call them anything other than exactly what's written on their birth certificate. They're not dolls, you creepy weirdos - you don't get to control everything. I'll call your sprog Shitebag if I damned well feel like it :angry:

^^this!

The thing is, there's no poignant meaning behind the name, no dead Granny Evangeline or anything like that. It's a pretentious name just for the sake of it. I feel really sorry for the wee one, she Will be in at least Primary 5 before she can spell her name and if the school she goes to is anything like the one I attended then she will be easy prey for bullies.

The thing is, there's no poignant meaning behind the name, no dead Granny Evangeline or anything like that. It's a pretentious name just for the sake of it. I feel really sorry for the wee one, she Will be in at least Primary 5 before she can spell her name and if the school she goes to is anything like the one I attended then she will be easy prey for bullies.

I bet they're just big Lost fans. Is her middle name Lily, by any chance?

Magnus is quite a common name in Orkney and Shetland due to its viking connections.

I don't think its that bad a name, no more unusual than Angus, i've known a few over the years.

It's all about the surname with names like that: Magnus Shieldsplitter = sound, Magnus Barrington-ffitch = chinless wee knob.

It's all about the surname with names like that: Magnus Shieldsplitter = sound, Magnus Barrington-ffitch = chinless wee knob.

Magnus Shieldsplitterson is even sounder, Magnus Barrington-Bitch-Ffitch even greater chinlessy wee knob.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Well it ain't a common name in Falkirk lol!

That doesn't make it "stupid" though, in fact it probably has the opposite effect.

I agree with you about the name Greer though.

Agreed.

I used to work with a girl called Sky. She was the domestic on the boat we lived/ worked on and was pretty hot, in all honesty, but mental at the same time. After work we were allowed to have a maximum of four mid-strength beers each from the communal beer fridge because 1) we were on a fairly small boat in the Indian Ocean that was constantly circled by Tiger Sharks and 2) we started work at 6 every morning. Anyway, we were moored off the coast of the middle of no-where in Australia and all went to bed at 8 or something but this girl stayed up herself and scooped the life out of every beer in the fridge. She then went on a rampage round the boat before being restrained by the captain and the engineer. A speedboat had to come and get her the next morning. No-one ever saw Sky again.

Are you sure there's maybe not a 'e' on the end of Sky? I've heard of the name Skye on a few occasions.

Could be, aye. Still a pish name though.

I bet she's a wee terrier.

There's bound to be some bird out there somewhere called 'West Highland'.

Invented by Neighbours about 20 years ago.

Oh, right, like Kylie? Says a lot about a person's level of intelligence and taste to name their kid after a soap character. Right up there with your favourite fashion designer, e.g. 'Versace McLatchie'. I know that name is an urban myth, I just so wish it wasn't. :lol:

Not a stupid name, no, I agree with you. However it's stupid from the parents point of view IMO, especially in the Falkirk area where the poor kids are likely to get pelters at school from their peers for "having a stupid name".

True, I think thats going to be the same everywhere. When our wee one was born, next to us was an Arthur and across was a Lyncun. (pronounced Lincoln)

The next generation are fucked.