Malta or Cyprus?

Kejan

Both places interest me, I have no idea why, just never been to that area, and good(cheap) air links from the UK.

Not interested in the resorts, and would be slugging it, hopefully if it was Cyprus, would go in to Northern Cyprus and if Malta, across to Gozo and so on.

Anyone been to both, or have an opinion on which is better to see or go to first?

Was looking at February/March time to go.

I went to Malta a few years back and it was alright, the ferry to Gozo was just along from hotel. We went to Gozo for the day and it wasn't up to much tbh.

• 1 month later...

Thinking of a short trip to Malta in the beginning of March. Like Kejan I'm not keen on resorts built specifically for tourists, so was thinking that Valleta might be a good place to mooch around for a few days. Anyone been?

Malta is a great country. I've been twice in the past couple of years and will most likely be going back again (one of my best friends is from there).

There's plenty to see and do but I'd recommend in particular:

Mdina - an ancient city that's been more or less untouched for centuries, modern amenities aside. It was the setting for King's Landind in series 1 of Game of Thrones.

Azure window - on Gozo. Google it, it seeing it for real is amazing.

Valletta - the capital. Has a good mix of old and new, with sights and shops.

If you want nightlife, Paceville is basically one long street with pubs, clubs and restaurants.

If you want a beach, one of the best is on the road to Gozo - Mellieah Bay. There's loads of other beaches but a lot are artificial and made just for tourists; resort-y in there words.

For accommodation, if there's a few of you going it can be good value to rent a farmhouse. Google is your friend there. But last time I was there we stayed in the Corinthia in St George's bay and it was fantastic, albeit pricey at 170 a night.

• 5 months later...

I went to Cyprus once in early April, a resort place near the town of Paralimni. It was a typical tourist holiday resort and was almost completely deserted. Although we kind of enjoyed having the pool to ourselves. Went to Nicosia for an overnight stay, worth a visit it was a lively, unpretentious sort of place to wander round for a day.

Archived