Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

Have been keeping up to date with my Czech team Zlin. Went to see them a couple of years ago when I was over there. It was the local Derby v Slovaco. Went to watch Slovaco v Sparta also. I love the set up of the grounds where you enter through the turnstiles into outdoor seated bench areas with numerous food places and beer stalls. Zlin seem to be off the boil a bit this year but maybe down to European games. They always seen to play really well until the break. Afterwards they generally struggle.

Just back in Brno now after an excellent win on the road (we don't win away) against Jihlava, with Škoda grabbing both goals for us. Plaudits have to go to manager Roman Pivarník who has made us a difficult team to score against and capable of getting results which should keep Zbrojovka safe for another season. Annoying 6 o'cock kick-off for those working but a visible and vocal support cheered the team on. Very pleased!

23795219_10159613605230176_6789662811170398249_n.jpg.83b4ef1082044ebc559050411992b954.jpg

23795388_10159613602905176_7909234239369622995_n.jpg

Edited by Menzel

On 22/11/2017 at 00:16, foreverarover said:

Have been keeping up to date with my Czech team Zlin. Went to see them a couple of years ago when I was over there. It was the local Derby v Slovaco. Went to watch Slovaco v Sparta also. I love the set up of the grounds where you enter through the turnstiles into outdoor seated bench areas with numerous food places and beer stalls. Zlin seem to be off the boil a bit this year but maybe down to European games. They always seen to play really well until the break. Afterwards they generally struggle.

Zlín are our final match before the winter break next weekend. I was at the away fixture back in August where Zbrojovka were truly terrible and hoping for a big improvement this time round.  A tremendous achievement to get into europe after winning the cup last year, and this is their third season back in the first league.  Should be a good game - they have Slovacko in the 'other Moravian derby' on Monday and if they lose Brno have the chance to overtake them into 11th. Slovacko are absolutely rotten this year though so can't see past a home win for the ševci. 

28 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Went to Dukla v Slovacko a few weeks ago. The stadium was a wet dream for me. Proper communist era throwback

Novel stadium with the one huge stand! Great 4-1 win for them tonight as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slavia are currently in a distant second to Pilzen after going on an unbeaten run lasting a year, they had a fairly consistent first half of the season, only losing twice. However,  Pilzen winning 14 games in a row from the start of the season meant that the league looked almost won before the winter shutdown.

Slavia invested in a lot of experienced players for European football that turned out to be duds, They lost Jiri Pavlenka to Werder Bremen and replaced him with the calamitous  former Fulham keeper Jan Lastuvka. Most of these players have now gone and the core of last seasons team are now pulling Slavia back in to the title race.

Since the re-start, Slavia have three wins and a defeat with Pilzen only achieving two draws reducing the lead to seven points although Pilzen have a game in hand. 

Sparta have struggled further this year and are currently outside of the European places.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:28, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Went to Dukla v Slovacko a few weeks ago. The stadium was a wet dream for me. Proper communist era throwback

I was there last Friday and it is starting to look pretty grim for Dukla.  They were easily beaten 3-1 by relegation rivals Jihlava but it was, as you say, a real cracker of a stadium. £6 in and less than £1 for a beer.

I'd guess no more than 1,000 there, and a lot of those were British, German and American tourists.

4 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I was there last Friday and it is starting to look pretty grim for Dukla.  They were easily beaten 3-1 by relegation rivals Jihlava but it was, as you say, a real cracker of a stadium. £6 in and less than £1 for a beer.

I'd guess no more than 1,000 there, and a lot of those were British, German and American tourists.

The food options were incredible. Asian food, pizza, traditional Czech fare etc.

Didn't see/hear any other tourists when I was there though

• 3 weeks later...

Viktoria Plzeň lose again, they won't be caught at the top though. Frustrating day for Zbrojovka at home to Karviná yesterday, hit the bar twice and were all over them - 0-0. Playing Slavia Prague next week so no chance of points there I'd say. After that away at Slovácko for the South Moravian derby.

image.png.422c5e47e28ef0ba483376826157c118.png

Pretty tight down there...

4 hours ago, Menzel said:

Viktoria Plzeň lose again, they won't be caught at the top though. Frustrating day for Zbrojovka at home to Karviná yesterday, hit the bar twice and were all over them - 0-0. Playing Slavia Prague next week so no chance of points there I'd say. After that away at Slovácko for the South Moravian derby.

image.png.422c5e47e28ef0ba483376826157c118.png

Pretty tight down there...

Slavia conceding a last min goal to Zlin wouldn't have helped.  The next game I make it to will be the last game of the season with Plzen. I had one eye on that being a potential title head to head but I think tonights result killed any hope of that. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Slavia conceding a last min goal to Zlin wouldn't have helped.  The next game I make it to will be the last game of the season with Plzen. I had one eye on that being a potential title head to head but I think tonights result killed any hope of that. 

I would agree with that. Slavia should have no business losing to that Zlín side, particularly at home. Of course, Viktoria's first loss of the season was a howler and seems to have spurred on Jihlava who then took a bundle of points against tricky opposition. Slavia fans will cheer that their next two are away to Brno who don't score, and Karviná who are ridiculously inconsistent. Ridiculous that this stage in the season the latter are 9th and yet could very easily go down. I'm convinced that Baník Ostrava are doomed, but it could be one of a half dozen teams that finish 15th. 

Anybody on here bought tickets on the day for either Sparta or Bohemians? Easy enough to get and any bother from the locals if there's 6 Scots in the ground? Heading over this weekend and hoping to get to at least one game.

10 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Anybody on here bought tickets on the day for either Sparta or Bohemians? Easy enough to get and any bother from the locals if there's 6 Scots in the ground? Heading over this weekend and hoping to get to at least one game.

Both pretty easy, Sparta is a bigger stadium and probably more used to non-Czech visitors. neither will sell out

Sparta has a ticket windows at the bottom of the stands

On 4/2/2018 at 16:22, Marshmallo said:

You'll definitely not get any bother from Bohemka - one of the only left-wing fanbases in Czech football and have a lot of support from 'expats' in the capital. All in all a far better experience than Sparta, which are a vile club. 

On 4/2/2018 at 01:39, diegomarahenry said:

I will be sorry to see them go down

I won't, they can take their anti-Islam banners and chants about Roma and Jews to the seaside leagues. 

7 hours ago, Menzel said:

I won't, they can take their anti-Islam banners and chants about Roma and Jews to the seaside leagues. 

I've only seen them play at Eden and I don't think they brought enough of a support to display a banner, although my ability to read any banners in Czech is pretty limited. 

Sparta were described to me as the Czech Airdrie

Edited by diegomarahenry

On 4/4/2018 at 12:31, Menzel said:

That term doesn't really translate well to a landlocked country! Banik were relegated just three years ago IIRC; they took a very healthy crowd to Bohemians' ground on a Friday night in April they won the game but their fans seemed more interested in getting kicked out or a kicking by the authorities. In terms of their recent seasons they look like an Airdrie/Ayr style yo-yoing irrelevance. 

Looking at the teams in the league below,  and apart from a stack of diddies the best contribution to the to flight IMO would be Dynamo České Budějovice. Karel Poborský is their chairman, South Bohemia lacks a credible football team and the home of Budweiser Budvar would make for a cracking away day. Looks like a tidy ground as well.

stadion_nahled.jpg

severni_tribuna.jpg

Edited by vikingTON