St Mirren V Ross County 25/10/14

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't do anything in live play really, and he never has. His dead ball delivery from corners and free kicks caused us chaos all day, and their first goal came from his delivery.

Interesting you don't rate him in the top ten in the country from a dead ball. What 10 players do you have ahead of him?

I remember him scoring a stunner at Ibrox for us from 30 yards. I think he got two more from free kicks, but I can't recall the opponent and date off hand.

ETA You did predict the lowest home crowd for us for 5 years pre match.

How did that go?

I wasn't having a go at you, I just don't rate Carey and don't see why so many of our fans do! He scored a couple of peaches against Rangers and Hearts in his first spell with us. I think the other one you mean was at Pittodrie but that was in November 2011, he didn't score any set pieces in a year and a half after that and only the one goal from open play too. His assist total was far lower in that second season in his second spell too if I remember correctly. That record is nowhere near good enough to justify having him in the team when he contributes so little outside of dead balls.

Off the top of my head, there's loads of players who I think are consistently better set-piece takers: Mulgrew, Robson, Brittain, Niall McGinn, Clingan, Greg Tansey, van Dijk and Iain Vigurs to name some.

I meant Saturday attendances earlier but I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout considering the apathy around the club at the moment. County brought good numbers down considering their position too, fair play to them.

Carey had a quiet game by the standards he set before being shunted to left back, but still got a goal, an assist and played a great through ball for Arquin in the first half. And hit the crossbar, for the third time this season.

He was County's best player before Adams got the sack, but McIntyre needed him at left back. Now we will see the best from him again after his confidence was sapping away.

I appreciate that St Mirren made Brown pull off a smart double save, but at 1-0 County were comfortable and it should have been 2-0. I'm convinced it was Arquin who was off and Gardyne came on to the ball from an onside position.

I don't think County would have kept a clean sheet, but at 2-0 I think even County could have held on and hit on the counter.

Both teams lost their way when they took off their centre forwards. I couldn't help but laugh at Ball's moobs jiggling, but he put himself about and Boyd typically found it difficult against him. Arquin must have been offside over half a dozen times, but putting Jervis on is like having a handicap unless the ball is at his feet.

Quinn is the Munro-type alpha male at the back that County have needed for the last year or so.

That'll be the incredible signing section then. We need to appreciate them just now before they get banned for noise pollution.

Ha ha, should be chore!

In any case I've said if the stuff on the pitch is good the stands have atmosphere. Despite the singing section, there was no atmosphere today because of the constant pish we're served up.

The low crowd today is also a symptom of the general malaise surrounding the club. People aren't interested, not because of cost, but because the stuff on the pitch isn't great.

I appreciate that St Mirren made Brown pull off a smart double save, but at 1-0 County were comfortable and it should have been 2-0. I'm convinced it was Arquin who was off and Gardyne came on to the ball from an onside position.

I was almost in line with that and I was convinced someone was offside. I felt Arquin, who was wider right was on and Gardyne was off-I sent a text to someone saying 40 was off and 15 was on at the time. I wasn't surprised when the linesman gave the call, but so many say Gardyne was on I'll need to see the replay, maybe I've got the eyesight of a linesman!

Surprised to see so many Saints fans down on our performance today.

For the first 70 minutes Saints were playing some great stuff, and RC were barely in the game.

We should have been out of site, but therein lies our problems... we can't finish our good set up play, and our defence is prone to costly errors.

Free header from RCs first corner - and indeed first foray in to our half - for the first; and then Goodwin too easily muscled off the ball for the second.

Although I think the officials screwed up when Gardyne and Arquin were through on the keeper. Think Gardwyn was onside, Arquin probably off, and was surprised when the flag went up.

Not sure what happened to Ball when Reilly (I think) knocked the ball across the goal to him in what would have been one of the best counter attacking goals I'd ever have seen us score. Amazing move; dreadful end.

We totally fell out of it in the last 20 minutes. Surprised that there was no sign of anyone coming from our bench during that time. I know our inexperienced squad is down to bare bones, but Teale was on the bench and expected to see him (or even Marwood) come on so we'd go for the win.

Didn't Carey score an absolute worldy of a free kick up at Pittodrie for us?

I think the other one you mean was at Pittodrie but that was in November 2011, he didn't score any set pieces in a year and a half after that and only the one goal from open play too. His assist total was far lower in that second season in his second spell too if I remember correctly. That record is nowhere near good enough to justify having him in the team when he contributes so little outside of dead balls.

Wider right from what perspective? From Ross County's, Arquin was on the left and Gardyne right.

You're correct Arquin was left. Its been a bad day!

By all accounts Gardyne was on, so I'd have called that wrong. That said both went for the ball didn't they so I guess possibility Arquin was off but ruled active. Linesman waited a long time too.

That was one of the most baffling free kicks I've ever seen. All brown had to do was catch it it push it over the bar but instead he tried to look casual and it went in. It was about as straight as you can get. To say it was a "worldy" is actually hilarious.

Possibly just rose tinted specs and the fact it's not actually that often we score a DFK!

Thanks GG, f**k my memory's awful I was getting Dejavu when I typed that. :lol:

Didn't Carey score an absolute worldy of a free kick up at Pittodrie for us?

Sure I remember saying to my old man it was one of the best I've ever seen in the flesh.

Only one I can recall in that category was from free play in a midweek game at home to Hearts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5OSxm2y-hE

That was a bit special

That was one of the most baffling free kicks I've ever seen. All brown had to do was catch it it push it over the bar but instead he tried to look casual and it went in. It was about as straight as you can get. To say it was a "worldy" is actually hilarious.

To be honest it was a good strike but Brown made an utter cock of it. Carey's best freekick was against Hearts in his first spell here.

Having watched the highlights of our game it's inconclusive as to whether Gardyne or not is off, as he and Kelly are off camera. Arquin is defo onside.

Possibly just rose tinted specs and the fact it's not actually that often we score a DFK!

Thanks GG, f**k my memory's awful I was getting Dejavu when I typed that. :lol:

That freekick really upset Standfree. That was about a three week breakdown. I don't think he ever realised when we said it was goal of the season we were taking the piss.

I thought we were shite today, but at least we didn't lose. I actually expected the ref to chop off their first goal, but I'm almost glad he didn't as it was absolutely soft as shite from Kello. We've got some bad players this season. A lot of those guys would have been nowhere near our team a year or two ago. I fear for us.

At the game today, and first of all thanks to St Mirren for giving free tickets to the BB boys and letting them play on the pitch at HT. They loved it!

Great game as well. Loved it when Tesselaar went over the photographer to check out how good his goal was. :lol:

Noticed in the last two home games that both ICT and RC were more than happy to let us have possession cos they know we don't actually do anything with it, then try and hit us on the counter.

I think it's time Kello had a wee rest - was nowhere at county's first goal yesterday.

Having watched the highlights of our game it's inconclusive as to whether Gardyne or not is off, as he and Kelly are off camera. Arquin is defo onside.

I'm surprised that Arquin was on, but of course he was when Kelly was so deep. I thought Arquin was off because I was specifically watching Gardyne's run and thought Arquin was further up the pitch.

Gardyne definitely was on too. The footage is inconclusive, however.

DelightfulObeseCollardlizard.gif

But you've got to assume Gardyne started his run earlier than he is shown, not that he started when he is in frame. I think the fact that he is in full sprinting motion by the time he is in frame suggests that. Kelly was goal-side when the pass was made but didn't do enough to stay with Gardyne.

Longer version here.

I'm surprised that Arquin was on, but of course he was when Kelly was so deep. I thought Arquin was off because I was specifically watching Gardyne's run and thought Arquin was further up the pitch.

Gardyne definitely was on too. The footage is inconclusive, however.

DelightfulObeseCollardlizard.gif

But you've got to assume Gardyne started his run earlier than he is shown, not that he started when he is in frame. I think the fact that he is in full sprinting motion by the time he is in frame suggests that. Kelly was goal-side when the pass was made but didn't do enough to stay with Gardyne.

Longer version here.

We were sitting in line with it and all thought it was onside, apart from the two raving lunatics at the end of our row who think everything is offside. Definite let off for us I think. The only person we thought might have been off was Arquin, and that theory is out the water.

Phil that does the video analysis stuff and the post-match interviews that I piggyback onto showed me the footage while we were waiting for Tommy Craig. Kelly is goalside of Gardyne when the ball is played.

Archived