Albion Rovers v Berwick Rangers Sat 24/10/14

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to dust off your excellent sleepwalking to relegation piece Bri. Haven't been all season - had high hopes this year but whats happened?

Problem is, they did what I was asking for in that. Ha. I would love to think he can turn it round, but if he's lost the dressing room, as the rumours say, and the lack of heart seems to be backing up, then there may be no way back. Two players on social networks with 'zzzz' type messages. Is this a reaction to team talks or what?

Away from the recent run, the biggest disappointment for me has been the signings. Russell, Maxwell, Willis and Gold have been really poor. He was given extra money for the striker he couldn't sign during the summer and it went on Dargo who's barely started. We needed our own McManus, Mcintosh, Gunn or MacKay, not a 36 year old we can barely get fit. It's not too much to ask for a club with our budget.

My problem is I'm not even interested anymore. Was hoping a mini run would lift me to go to some games but really can't be bothered. Is relegation a possibility or is this just a blip - when was last time we won in league? August? Could do with a result in Methil next week and a reasonable draw in next round.

Yet another mystery disappearance today - Notman. No mention anywhere that he was a doubt. 4 or 5 times this season it's happened.

Missed today but saw both recent home games and we've become a shadow of the side we were even at the start of this season. Won't be surprised if I read that Willis didn't do a lot, and Lee Currie was poor.

A cup defeat could see Cameron get his P45. If he lasts that long.

Not the best game today but 3 points for us and that's all that matters. Rovers better team in first half with berwick better team in 2nd half. The berwick keeper made a few really good saves. Don't think Parry had anything to do today other than pick the ball out his net from a very good berwick goal...other than that he was very quiet with berwick players deciding to shoot from long range which didn't bother anyone.

Few players from rovers need rockets up their ar*es Mcguigan and Phillips...both contribute very little to the team. Phillips was great for us last season but hasn't kicked a ball in ages...I'd like to see him dropped for Ally Love or Pollock!

Oh and Big John Gemmell, what a man...the seething from the Berwick fans at him was hilarious... The big man clearly enjoyed himself today!

I feel Gold has been a good signing. Captain of hibs 20's can't be that bad, i've been impressed from what i've seen of him anyway. Our first goal against Montrose symbolises this. Great work to get into the position and where Lavery would have skied it he squared it for a tap in.

I'd give Cameron the next 5 league games. Annan, Clyde and Elgin all to play as well as Arbroath and Montrose. Beat the three teams around us and put on a good show v the other two and life will be swell once more.

Loan striker and change of captain please.

Crap standard of football from both sides today- two goalkeeping errors from Bald gave us our goals, and a Dunlop mix-up gave Darren Lavery his. Other than that, nothing to report.

I'm much more satisfied with John Gemmell with an attacking trio behind him- Chaplain is especially creative, but Marc McKenzie's energy and industry wins him a second consecutive MOTM vote from me. The protectors, Young and Phillips, were competent but did seem error-prone- if our manager really has to play then I'd prefer the steadier Jamie Pollock alongside him.

Most importantly we're back to winning ways. Another progression to the big team round in the SC would be lovely but a win on Tuesday night would put us 8 points clear in a PO position, and that must be the priority.

I'm much more satisfied with John Gemmell with an attacking trio behind him- Chaplain is especially creative, but Marc McKenzie's energy and industry wins him a second consecutive MOTM vote from me. The protectors, Young and Phillips, were competent but did seem error-prone- if our manager really has to play then I'd prefer the steadier Jamie Pollock alongside him.

100% agree with this, Mckenzie and beast is working very well. I thought Young had another decent game but needs someone in the middle with him, Gary Phillips isn't that guy but he seems to have his name nailed down on that starting 11 regardless of his performances.

To be fair you dont want to show your hand pre match and tell all and sundry inc opposition you have key men out. Best say nothing and if need be tell it afterwards?

A) other clubs do it, its not that big a deal

B) could be told at 2pm after teamsheets are in. That was 7 hours ago.

Having missed last week's home game, I decided to take a trip through to this. In footballing terms I wish I hadn't... Cliftonhole is bad enough in itself (even with the "freshening up" and "looking fantastic" plaudits in the programme: first steps on a long journey comes to mind), but our performance was just dire. Hopeless. I can't be bothered dissecting it... we were just dreadful and what is sad is that no-one among the support seems that surprised, which isn't very good at all at this stage of the season, and illustrates how poor things are. At 1-1 it seemed a miracle that we'd got level but it was no surprise that it didn't last. Lavery took his goal well and Bauld pulled off several vital saves - albeit, he seemed part culpable for both goals? - but that aside I struggled to recall anything positive. Starting XI badly mis-firing, squad don't seem to be playing for each other, nobody to make an impact from the bench.

However, after going for a meal, I passed a Perrymans coach broken-down on the hardshoulder not far out of Lanarkshire. Take it this was the team bus? Must've been coming on 7:30pm so if it was, hopefully they took the opportunity of having been stuck together in a confined space for 2hrs to start sorting out the problems in a frank manner. Tactical issues, personality issues, motivation issues, whatever - get it sorted. Please.

Good post my friend. Sorry you had to watch another disgraceful performance, I thought last weeks game was bad enough. Exactly as you mentioned above, lasts weeks performance was no different. Low tempo, poor passing, coaching staff very quiet, players looked like they were still pis**d from the night before and not remotely interested at all - today sounds just the same.

I think what annoys me most, apart from the board saying the players are low in confidence (complete and utter bullsh*t excuse) but a large part of our fans not voicing their true opinion. I think it's time fans got onto the board and start telling them to get something sorted or Lowland League football is coming our way next season. My good friend who is a Rovers fan told me a while back when they beat Clyde 3-0 and some of the Clyde fans were getting stuck into the players, giving them pelters after a dreadful display at Cliftonhill I just hope some of our fans voiced their opinion today.

I followed the Dream team now for over 20 years and I must admit it's getting really frustrating, and feel like just walking away. Spending money, time on travel is the least of my worries but to sit through these painful displays isa total waste of time. I hope to return one day but that's only if we can remain in this division at then end of the season and start looking like threatening to gain promotion to Division 1 rather than finishing in our usual 5th - 8th position in the bottom tier.

I'm off with a couple of Berwick fans to the Linlithgow - Raith game next week, anyone who wants to meet for a pint we'll see you in the Black Bi*t*

Lets hope we can turn this around, hope everyone enjoys next week and it's not as painful as the last five or so matches.

Best,

Absolutely dreadful game.

Berwick scored with their one moment of good play.

Bald made a couple of excellent saves, the one from the free kick when it was 1-0 was an awesome save, but flogged the first goal (can't remember about the second goal, have blanked it from my mind).

Fair play to Lee Currie for getting up within 30 seconds when he was scudded in the face, I would still be on the deck now if that was me.

Lastly, I would guess that the average age of the Berwick support today was at least 55. Above the insipid performance, lack of entertainment, and lack of fight, that is the most worrying thing for me. Who is going to be watching Berwick Rangers in 25 years time?

Never mind twenty five years, who is going to want to watch them in the Lowland league?

Time to wake up BRFC, it's not a wooden spoon and a consolation prize,it's the trapdoor and the loss of professional league football in the town possibly for good. Sort yourselves out.

The sight of a few old faces back on the forum is positive, even if the feeling is not.

Lastly, I would guess that the average age of the Berwick support today was at least 55. Above the insipid performance, lack of entertainment, and lack of fight, that is the most worrying thing for me. Who is going to be watching Berwick Rangers in 25 years time?

£25 from Berwick to Coatdyke on the Train and that was with a student railcard. Haven't heard anything regarding buses to Methil for next week either. Its not easy to get to some games!

And as for fans telling players how they feel, they know post-49846-14142754584152_thumb.jpg

£25 from Berwick to Coatdyke on the Train and that was with a student railcard. Haven't heard anything regarding buses to Methil for next week either. Its not easy to get to some games!

And as for fans telling players how they feel, they know attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1414275456.222306.jpg

Exactly. To pay the price of admission that is charged, to watch drivel on the pitch with no fight, passion, or drive to win, interest is going to just keep declining, and as stated, travelling via train to away games is expensive , even with student rail cards, is expensive, and to see what? Defeats and poor performances . Winning games and putting on good performances for the fans is what the fans want, and will obviously increase crowds, home and even ravelling to away games.

Pressure may well be starting to build on CC, no league win since August. Looking at the next 3 League games they really should be looking to take 6/7 points with having to play the two teams below them then annan at home.

Archived