Why was Rugby park built to 18,000 rather than 10,000? Seems a strange size considering the population of the town, was there a reason they went for such a large stadium?

Because players like McCoist and Durrant meant 5 figure attendances were going to be a regular occurrence in Kilmarnock for the foreseeable.

*lol*

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BucksburnDandy, on 02 Nov 2014 - 18:26, said:BucksburnDandy, on 02 Nov 2014 - 18:26, said:

Interesting to note our away crowds at Motherwell last season were 1,879 on a Sunday afternoon, 1,254 on a Saturday in January and in the League Cup (ok doesn't count towards average attendances here) 2,635 on a Wednesday night on the cusp of November.

Been a discernible increase in our away followings at Motherwell in recent seasons. Better roads and a healthy on field competitive situation has helped unquestionably.

Bar Dundee United, only Groningen have taken more than 500 fans to Pittodrie this season (677). We do well out of United, Celtic and Dundee but suffer with smaller supports coming up from the central belt. Our home average crowds have been around 11,200 I would guess, which is reasonably healthy in the current climate.

Actually, we took more than 500 as well. Our away attendance was announced as 600-odd.

ETA: And that was after 4 defeats on the trot including 2 Derby defeats.

Why was Rugby park built to 18,000 rather than 10,000? Seems a strange size considering the population of the town, was there a reason they went for such a large stadium?

Because players like McCoist and Durrant meant 5 figure attendances were going to be a regular occurrence in Kilmarnock for the foreseeable.

*lol*

For once wee Lexy boy might be accurate regarding KIllie " " lol" "

As already stated it had a lot to do with his ego and readily available cash

It has always struck me as an odd thing, why Kilmarnock rebuilt their ground to the size of Hearts, Hibs and (not quite) Aberdeen.

They hadn't qualified for Europe in over 20yrs afterall - and had only just returned to the top tier having spent the 4 preceding seasons in the lower levels (1 of those in tier 3). Their location meant no prospect of ever hosting Semi-Finals? They had operated on a capacity of 12,500 for the previous 3yrs (but admittedly the capacity before that was 17,500). Their average attendances in the preceding 2 decades had fluctuated between 1,000 and 4,000, with an occasional one-off jump to 6,000 or 7,000.

On the otherhand their attendances had leapt to just over 9,000 on promotion to the Premier Division in the 12 months before work began. Also they were able to attract 2 Scotland internationals in 1997. Board got carried away?

because when it was built killie were getting 20k at old firm matches and 8-9k at other games, so in % it was no different to st Mirren building a 8k stadium a few years ago, when they were only getting 3-4k at their matches

It has always struck me as an odd thing, why Kilmarnock rebuilt their ground to the size of Hearts, Hibs and (not quite) Aberdeen.

They hadn't qualified for Europe in over 20yrs afterall - and had only just returned to the top tier having spent the 4 preceding seasons in the lower levels (1 of those in tier 3). Their location meant no prospect of ever hosting Semi-Finals? They had operated on a capacity of 12,500 for the previous 3yrs (but admittedly the capacity before that was 17,500). Their average attendances in the preceding 2 decades had fluctuated between 1,000 and 4,000, with an occasional one-off jump to 6,000 or 7,000.

On the otherhand their attendances had leapt to just over 9,000 on promotion to the Premier Division in the 12 months before work began. Also they were able to attract 2 Scotland internationals in 1997. Board got carried away?

wrong,

Actually, we took more than 500 as well. Our away attendance was announced as 600-odd.

ETA: And that was after 4 defeats on the trot including 2 Derby defeats.

You haven't visited Pittodrie yet this season, your last visits there number 300, 500 & 800 respectively.

You haven't visited Pittodrie yet this season, your last visits there number 300, 500 & 800 respectively.

For some reason I thought he was a Motherwell fan. I reckon we'll take around 750-900 to Aberdeen considering we took a touch off 700 to Killie.

*lol*

The renovation of Rugby Park was planned years before either of those signed, and was completed 3 years before they arrived. And we did actually have a 5 figure average attendance in the first season after they signed.

For some reason I thought he was a Motherwell fan. I reckon we'll take around 750-900 to Aberdeen considering we took a touch off 700 to Killie.

Depends when it is and the form at the time? Obviously you're capable of taking well into four figures but haven't done so there for a long time other than a Scottish cup game a decade ago which was a Sat afternoon

Aberdeen are one of a few who list all the away supports, everyone should.

Depends when it is and the form at the time? Obviously your capable of taking well into 4 figures but haven't got far into the four figures there for a long time other than a Scottish cup game a decade ago which was a Sat afternoon

Aberdeen are one of a few who list all the away supports, everyone should.

We took 600 and odd to Motherwell after a run of 4 defeats, one of which was an embarrassment to you amongst another defeat to United. I see no reason to suggest why we won't take less than that this season regardless of form.

The season you're taking your stats from, we were the whipping boys and relegated before a ball was kicked.

Regardless of form, if we take less than 750 to Aberdeen by the time that fixture rolls round I'll genuinely be shocked.

We took 644 to Motherwell and between 610 and 630 can't remember exact number to Killie - i quite like the fact that most clubs (though not Dundee or United) announce away crowds nowadays

United's Twitter always states the travelling support, for our away games

I just think it's embarrassing from a Celtic point of view to be claiming an attendance of 40k when visibly there are much fewer people in the stadium.

Celtic fans, are you embarrassed at your club's policy?

Im personally not bothered, the seethe from it also quite tremendous.

Interesting to note our away crowds at Motherwell last season were 1,879 on a Sunday afternoon, 1,254 on a Saturday in January and in the League Cup (ok doesn't count towards average attendances here) 2,635 on a Wednesday night on the cusp of November.

Been a discernible increase in our away followings at Motherwell in recent seasons. Better roads and a healthy on field competitive situation has helped unquestionably.

Bar Dundee United, only Groningen have taken more than 500 fans to Pittodrie this season (677). We do well out of United, Celtic and Dundee but suffer with smaller supports coming up from the central belt. Our home average crowds have been around 11,200 I would guess, which is reasonably healthy in the current climate.

If you were in the Estadio Sheep, All clubs would bring a much larger away support to Aberdeen

Point is, don't think we really had over 6000 there - didn't look it to me. My son was there on his £18 season ticket but I suspect we have many other low price tickets holders where they only occasionally attend. Same as other clubs inflating the figures. Can anyone recall if we had these kind of tickets for sale 10 years ago and reported them as attending?

We definitely had low cost season tickets for under 16s and under 12s during the bonnetti period.

Archived