Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

strichener, on 15 Feb 2015 - 19:52, said:

What a ridiculous question. Such logic could be applied to any restriction placed on anybody for anything.

It was aimed more at this question.

" I thought as a society we were trying to limit our alcohol intake?"

There isn't a limit to how much alcohol any one person can take. So unless he's suggesting a change to that, I'm not sure what relevance this has to anything. What difference is allowing alcohol at football making with relation to that question?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ban came in place in 1980. We're not living in 1980, nor is attending football a similar experience either.

So when I asked you why it is better for society people attending a Falkirk v QOS shouldn't be allowed an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch, this is your answer?

Really?

If you truly believe having a ban in place not allowing only football fans the options of having an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch is going to reduce costs in the NHS or cut down on domestic abuse, then you my friend are deluded

Can't see it doing much harm at Falkirk v QOS game.

Meant generally not encouraging alcohol consumption as a whole not just football possible a good thing for NHS and Domestic Abuse

Can't see it doing much harm at Falkirk v QOS game.

Meant generally not encouraging alcohol consumption as a whole not just football possible a good thing for NHS and Domestic Abuse

Its not encouraging people to drink any more than a Tennent's billboard at the side of the road does.

It's about giving football fans the same option as everyone else

Its not encouraging people to drink any more than a Tennent's billboard at the side of the road does.

It's about giving football fans the same option as everyone else

I think we need to have other options in our culture that does not involve drinking. If you asked a mate at work to go to the cinema or for a meal he would think you were gay and coming on to him. I visit relatives in Aberdeen when Killie are playing and the only time I am not drinking is when I am at the football. We take our kids to activities and many of those occasions there is drink involved. Can we not have a bit of imagination and find other ways of spending our time that does not involving drinking a chemical that gives us pleasure by damaging and confusing our brains? Take your son or daughter to game without them witnessing your obsession with having to have a drink and them learning that to have fun in Scotland you need to have a drink.

Can we not have a wee bit of imagination in our drink obsessed culture?

I think we need to have other options in our culture that does not involve drinking. If you asked a mate at work to go to the cinema or for a meal he would think you were gay and coming on to him. I visit relatives in Aberdeen when Killie are playing and the only time I am not drinking is when I am at the football. We take our kids to activities and many of those occasions there is drink involved. Can we not have a bit of imagination and find other ways of spending our time that does not involving drinking a chemical that gives us pleasure by damaging and confusing our brains? Take your son or daughter to game without them witnessing your obsession with having to have a drink and them learning that to have fun in Scotland you need to have a drink.

Can we not have a wee bit of imagination in our drink obsessed culture?

Lol wut? You clearly have a problem with your sexuality with that comment.

What you doing later Enrico fancy going to the flicks and then for a nice meal?

I don't meet strangers off the internet, I certainly don't have a problem going for something to eat and a trip to the cinema with a mate, male or female without somehow questioning my sexuality as a result,

I'm impressed how you've managed to change the topic, since your argument against allowing fans to have the option to have an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch has fallen on it's arse.

You were the one that changed the subject and questioned my sexuality (sorry was just trying to lighten thing obviously backfired)

I have tried to answer your points and you have not answered mine about drink obsessed role models for our children. Maybe you regularly go to the cinema with one of your male or female friends but does drink play a part in that too? Have you ever spoken to an alcoholic who is trying to give up and about how hard it is for any social event weddings, funerals, xmas, new year, work social events? At least he or she could go to the fitba without being surrounded by drink.

The good news is that young people seem to be able to drink less so maybe we are moving in the right direction. Younger people probably are more comfortable asking same sex friends on their own to the cinema etc, without any concerns, and generally be more progressive in these things.

You know you've lost the argument when you have to bring up some ridiculous examples that are in no way relevant

If you used something similar to football as a social events, such as, Rugby, Gigs, festivals, etc... then you might have a point.

Unfortunately, all the similar social events you are allowed the option to have a drink.

You know what I mean. And, in answer to your poll - there are football games where you can drink - Spartans for example.

So, what's the difference between Spartans, rugby, gigs and major Scottish football games - in particular the Old Firm though I'm well aware of the eejits we have in Edinburgh too?

Go figure.

Problem's Old Firm. That really needs addressed first. Beers elsewhere would work.

In a nutshell.

Though, I wouldn't want to see alcohol thrown into the mix at Edin Derby games or Hearts v Celtic, Hibs v Rangers either. Thing is - our nutter fans can be counted in the dozens. The Old Firm could populate a large town with their hate-filled and violent fans who while maybe not a majority of their support - debatable I'm sure - still number in the many thousands.

Like I said above - folk can have a drink at some grounds - Spartans for example but there are some times when the greater good outweighs our 'freedom'. And for obvious reasons.

Lastly, if this wasn't such a blatant piece of electioneering from a desparate Jim Murphy, I'd probably support the idea for some low key game as an experiment. But if Enrico thinks Celtic or Rangers fans will be getting tanked up - or having a 'social drink' as oor Jim say - in their respective grounds anytime soon, he's deluded. Fortunately, most people are not Old Firm fans or paying customers at games and will be quite happy to keep the warring tribes off the booze for at least 90 minutes.

In a nutshell.

Though, I wouldn't want to see alcohol thrown into the mix at Edin Derby games or Hearts v Celtic, Hibs v Rangers either. Thing is - our nutter fans can be counted in the dozens. The Old Firm could populate a large town with their hate-filled and violent fans who while maybe not a majority of their support - debatable I'm sure - still number in the many thousands.

Like I said above - folk can have a drink at some grounds - Spartans for example but there are some times when the greater good outweighs our 'freedom'. And for obvious reasons.

Lastly, if this wasn't such a blatant piece of electioneering from a desparate Jim Murphy, I'd probably support the idea for some low key game as an experiment. But if Enrico thinks Celtic or Rangers fans will be getting tanked up - or having a 'social drink' as oor Jim say - in their respective grounds anytime soon, he's deluded. Fortunately, most people are not Old Firm fans or paying customers at games and will be quite happy to keep the warring tribes off the booze for at least 90 minutes.

It's true enough though. The blanket ban's overkill. It's one of those things.

Murphy's a cockpiece. Avoiding difficult questions, that pisses me off.

The ban came in place in 1980. We're not living in 1980, nor is attending football a similar experience either.

So when I asked you why it is better for society people attending a Falkirk v QOS shouldn't be allowed an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch, this is your answer?

Really?

If you truly believe having a ban in place not allowing only football fans the options of having an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch is going to reduce costs in the NHS or cut down on domestic abuse, then you my friend are deluded

See your 'in view of the pitch' bit. You are aware that that's not currently the deal in England?

I can't see us being more liberal than them, at least initially.

So now some troll has accused him of accepting a thousand pounds from the Clutha fund, and a daily record editorial has come up with the "whatever grudge nationalists may have against the Labour leader " line.

Aye, "some guy tweeted". At least its not fake bomb threats. That used to happen.

The simple fact is that England manages fine without a ban, and for all our differences we are not fundamentally less capable of dealing with alcohol than the English. The ban was a short-sighted dodge which allowed the authorities to claim to have done something without tackling the core issue of a culture around the Old Firm that glorified hooliganism.

Unfortunately the SNP are prohibitionists, which means that Murphy can use this as a wedge even while he's trying to dismantle the one bit of legislation which actually tackles that root problem.

The simple fact is that England manages fine without a ban, and for all our differences we are not fundamentally less capable of dealing with alcohol than the English. The ban was a short-sighted dodge which allowed the authorities to claim to have done something without tackling the core issue of a culture around the Old Firm that glorified hooliganism.

Unfortunately the SNP are prohibitionists, which means that Murphy can use this as a wedge even while he's trying to dismantle the one bit of legislation which actually tackles that root problem.

This is really easy for the SNP to counter. "Thanks Jim, we will take it from here" then set out a consultation in Holyrood.... run it with enthusiasm until after GE and then say naw

Archived