Jim Murphy

ForzaDundee

Murphy is the walking definition of scrambling for relevance at the moment. I notice in the Sunday Mail's latest puff-piece that Labour claims to be consulting football fans through social media and, ahem, football forums. Shouldn't take too long to suss out the ringers.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you take your drink into the film?

Do you think you should have alcohol sold at OF games?

I sometimes enjoy a drink before and or after a game. If lots of fans want it during a game as well and if there is evidence that it might bring a few more to the game then fair enough but I am not convinced it will. Maybe we could try it in certain sections of the ground so that those who do not want to sit next to someone who is becoming increasingly tanked up and aggressive because things for his team aren't going the way he thinks they should also have an option of not being next to that type of person.

I think we should have a poll on this site and I would be interested on what the majority think. I would vote against it because I think it is unnecessary and the cons out weigh the pros but I have an open mind and if a large majority want it then I would be happy for it to be tried but I think cautiously at first. If it increases attendances then it maybe worth considering ( I do not think it will but it might)

LeithKillie, on 15 Feb 2015 - 18:52, said:

The high risk games has already been covered. The answer seems to be no.

Bringing more people to games? Won't matter. They'll still make enough money that it'll feel like there's more people there. It'd likely be overpriced. And even if there's a bit of a disappointing demand, that will mean there's still more money going to the clubs. So that point is irrelevant as well.

It being unnecessary is irrelevant as well, given it's not about necessity. If it was, we could see pies and bovrils kicked out of football grounds as well.

I sometimes enjoy a drink before and or after a game. If lots of fans want it during a game as well and if there is evidence that it might bring a few more to the game then fair enough but I am not convinced it will. Maybe we could try it in certain sections of the ground so that those who do not want to sit next to someone who is becoming increasingly tanked up and aggressive because things for his team aren't going the way he thinks they should also have an option of not being next to that type of person.

I think we should have a poll on this site and I would be interested on what the majority think. I would vote against it because I think it is unnecessary and the cons out weigh the pros but I have an open mind and if a large majority want it then I would be happy for it to be tried but I think cautiously at first. If it increases attendances then it maybe worth considering ( I do not think it will but it might)

Yes, you are allowed to take your drink into the cinema.

Huh, I've already answer that question, You do know there is more than the Old Firm game though, so for a laugh, tell me in detail. exactly why is would be to the benefit of society that a fan would not be allowed a drink in view of the pitch at a Falkirk v QOS game?

"Becoming increasingly tanked up and aggressive" Really? That is how you view someone just wanting a beer sitting in their seat. Also, how "tanked up" do you think someone can get during the game, keeping in mind I would have to imagine they'll be watching the game and not queueing up at the bar

We do have a poll,

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/220607-alcohol-at-the-football/

Majority in favour.

Enrico Annoni, on 15 Feb 2015 - 19:17, said:

The Grosvenor in Ashton Lane :guinness

EDIT: Cineworld in town also has a bar inside it. Pints are shite though.

Can't take the drinks in with Cineworld though. Big sign saying so. :P

I've been considering The Grosvenor for one of their All Night Horror Madness things.

Think some want extraordinary rules for drinking too - like anti-social behaviour. If you act like a hate-filled cretin almost anywhere in society you get arrested and maybe go to prison. Do it in the company of dozens, hundreds or thousand at football game and it's 'atmosphere'. Does JM think we should also have the 'option' of having a drink in Tescos while wandering the aisles? During a funeral? During PM's questions at Westmonster? At school when picking up the kids? In hospital?

I'm fine with alcohol being limited to hospitality at games.

Anyway, I thought as a society we were trying to limit our alcohol intake?

What I meant by unnecessary is that has it stopped anyone going to games because they can't get a drink; money gained by selling overpriced fizzy sh*** could be countered by less pies and Bovril as you will only have time for one or the other. Extra fans attracted could be countered by less families wanting to go because of the drink and some people behaving worse because of drink (even if it is only a very small minority they can still be annoying).

Will check out the poll thanks for link.

It is a fact that alcohol impairs judgment and exaggerates how we feel. If we are angry with the ref or opposition players or fans and normally able to be rational about this we might say and do thinks we would not normally do. I remember the eighties and I still go to games and see certain people getting carried away would hate to see this exacerbated with drink.

If big majority want it then I am a democrat and willing to give it a go

Think some want extraordinary rules for drinking too - like anti-social behaviour. If you act like a hate-filled cretin almost anywhere in society you get arrested and maybe go to prison. Do it in the company of dozens, hundreds or thousand at football game and it's 'atmosphere'. Does JM think we should also have the 'option' of having a drink in Tescos while wandering the aisles? During a funeral? During PM's questions at Westmonster? At school when picking up the kids? In hospital?

You know you've lost the argument when you have to bring up some ridiculous examples that are in no way relevant

If you used something similar to football as a social events, such as, Rugby, Gigs, festivals, etc... then you might have a point.

Unfortunately, all the similar social events you are allowed the option to have a drink.

last point a good one

I really hope you're not trying to suggest the ban is a good thing for society?

It helped us deal with crowd trouble of the 80s. I think that if we drunk a little less alcohol it would be good for society. It would cut down on domestic abuse, reduce costs in the NHS and improve health. I am not anti drink per say I drink myself but I think if we can do wee things to help cut down alcohol consumption then that is a good thing. Don't you Enrico?

It helped us deal with crowd trouble of the 80s. I think that if we drunk a little less alcohol it would be good for society. It would cut down on domestic abuse, reduce costs in the NHS and improve health. I am not anti drink per say I drink myself but I think if we can do wee things to help cut down alcohol consumption then that is a good thing. Don't you Enrico?

The ban came in place in 1980. We're not living in 1980, nor is attending football a similar experience either.

So when I asked you why it is better for society people attending a Falkirk v QOS shouldn't be allowed an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch, this is your answer?

Really?

If you truly believe having a ban in place not allowing only football fans the options of having an alcoholic drink in view of the pitch is going to reduce costs in the NHS or cut down on domestic abuse, then you my friend are deluded

Yey, this ban is a good thing to limit our intake of alcohol

http://www.edinburgh-oktoberfest.co.uk/

http://www.scottishbeerfestival.org.uk/

http://www.glasgowrealalefestival.co.uk/

http://hippobeers.co.uk/?page_id=47624

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-28193264

More than 3,000 people are expected to attend a craft beer festival in Glasgow later this year, organisers have said.

Who is anyone to try and force a lower alcohol intake on us?

You are free to drink as much as like NewDomDom as long as you do not bother anyone else because of your consumption. If bringing drink back to games does not spoil any innocent parties enjoyment by increasing aggressive and obnoxious and sometimes scary behaviour (especially children) of some, then what is the harm? Just not convinced that it would not lead to more antisocial behaviour, but willing to give it a go if the majority want it.

Archived