Charges for carrier bags

We've had this over here for 18 months, we bought a load of reusable bags/bags for life and I've very seldom had to pay for a plastic bag since, only when I've forgotten to bring them out of the house with me. I usually leave the bags in the hall, and the next time I'm going out I take them with me and throw them in the car.

Regarding takeaways - never been charged for a bag, plastic or paper. They could have incorporated the cost into their prices?

ETA: Take away food and drink (among a host of other things) is exempt - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nidirect.gov.uk%2Fcarrier-bag-levy&ei=TY5WVJTUFuqS7AaJh4DgDg&usg=AFQjCNHwkT16a8jbNp6vfGWFQz-SJeiCBw

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in McDonald's last week and here's how it went.

Me - Big Mac meal medium and vanilla milkshake

Assistant - Do you want a bag for that?

Me - no

Assistant - you get a bag with the fries anyway.

Basically I was offered the bag for a bigmac.

I'm at the drive through in my van for god sake.

What 'point' do you have for throwing coins at a lassie trying to make a wage?

Well, it was evident that if she could have been half arsed, she could have got us the bag, but she didn't. She stood about and swore at her colleague (who helped us out) and generally just moaned at other staff.

I wouldn't have wanted to leave without paying, that would be stealing. Would you employ someone who swore at your customers and was generally lazy and slothed about?

It was proven that it wasn't very hard to actually give us a bag, and it was actually indeed paid for. Again I'll say I have no qualms about paying for the bags, actually, I'm quite in favour of it, she just couldn't be arsed dragging herself away from doing nothing, to help a paying customer out, so in the end, another member of staff who was busy doing something, done it for her.

She was doing nothing but the placed was mobbed? Sounds to me like she was just doing her job and trying to make sure her other customers got served.

How do you know they are on minimum wage? Fast food industry is actually quite good wage wise. I know many people who have worked in a few places who have been significantly above the minimum wage.

Also if you're going to talk to a customer like shite, expect the same in return. If I spoke to anyone they way she did at my work, I'd be booted out the door straight away.

You didn't like what she said and you threw something at her?

As I said, stay classy, accept your inner thug.

Exactly and how do they know that when they sell you one ? Fucking con if you ask me

If you don't think you're going to live too long, you could just rent one, I suppose...

The serious answer is: until you stop taking them back for a replacement. If it wears out, you can take it back for a new one, free of charge. That's the theory anyway but I've yet to ever take a knackered bag back. I can't remember the useable ones half the time so I'm buggered if I'd ever remember to exchange a broken one for a new one.

Archived