Wildlife Photography

Are these things particularly common around Scotland? I literally have only ever seen this one

There was one at Musselburgh Lagoons a few years ago, didn't manage to get along to see it.

:(

They tend to be escapees, and if they are they're often pinioned so they hang around for a while.

I remember reading a Creationist argument against evolution, saying that things didn't change, and that no one would ever see (for example) a black swan. He seemed to think that it was a clincher; yet given that this was on the Internet, I think most people might have done a quick, "... just let me check this... search... 'black swan'... zero results - OK, we're good to go." I suppose when you fit evidence to a priori facts, you become a little less interested in gathering the evidence. It's a bit pointless if you're not going to take it into account.

Bloody black swans, coming over here taking our pens, chasing all the white swans away with their foreign ways. Get back to Australia where you belong

attachicon.gifBlack Swan 29a.jpg

Are these things particularly common around Scotland? I literally have only ever seen this one

As you say they are native to Australia and don't occur in Britain naturally. Any you do see will be escapees from wildfowl collections.

As you say they are native to Australia and don't occur in Britain naturally. Any you do see will be escapees from wildfowl collections.

They seem to be on the way to establishing a self-sustaining feral population over here. The only genuine wild swans you'll see in Britain are the Whooper Swans that fly in for the winter from the north - the common one we see on park lakes (the Mute Swan) isn't a British native having been introduced here by the Romans.

This was a strange one, as far as I know it's a female pheasant. It was taken in my back garden on Boxing Day 2010 in the middle of the very bad winter, can only guess it was desperate for food but it's not the sort of thing you normally see in a Glasgow garden.

6z51fk.jpg

Bewick's Swans are also genuine wild winter visitors although they are not as common as Whooper swans and are very rare in Scotland, they occur mostly in England

Forgot all about them - here's a photo I took of a couple down at Slimbridge where a big flock show up every winter....

post-36005-0-12695400-1447454317_thumb.j

Saw a huge bird with a wingspan like an ironing board. Pretty sure it was a pterodactyl but after googling I believe that to be unlikely.

This frog is the only one I have on my phone but have a bunch more on my camera from various trips to woodlands/hills/lochs. Will stick them up some other time.

post-44604-14475526419741_thumb.jpg