Upload the 12th photo on your phone

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been too embarrassed to put mine up so far (not just because it shows my phone camera is crap), but fcuk it...

Here's a photo of some Old Red Sandstone boulders which were deposited on top of a thick sequence of lavas ~400 million years ago, probably during a rare flash flood. The stratigraphic unit takes it's name from the nearby town just beyond the lighthouse so a rather well deserved greenie if anyone gets the location...

post-13234-0-68250700-1415553085_thumb.j

I've been too embarrassed to put mine up so far (not just because it shows my phone camera is crap), but fcuk it...

Here's a photo of some Old Red Sandstone boulders which were deposited on top of a thick sequence of lavas ~400 million years ago, probably during a rare flash flood. The stratigraphic unit takes it's name from the nearby town just beyond the lighthouse so a rather well deserved greenie if anyone gets the location...

attachicon.gifIMAG0542.jpg

Diabaig?

Diabaig?

Miles off. However, here's a picture I took of some pebble imbrication on the shore of Diabaig. I think it's cool anyway. :unsure:

post-13234-0-13885400-1415556010_thumb.j

Eta - Loser alert:

Diabaig is at the very base of the Torridonian Sandstone, ~1000 million years old. Maybe it should be called the 'Really, Really Old Red Sandstone' there to avoid confusion with the Old Red Sandstone? :unsure2:

To make it worse, the base of the Torridonian is actually shale / mud (as seen in the photo) - known as the Diabaig Formation believe it or not. The mud was deposited in lakes which filled valleys which existed at the time.

Miles off. However, here's a picture I took of some pebble imbrication on the shore of Diabaig. I think it's cool anyway. :unsure:

attachicon.gifP1030424.JPG

Eta - Loser alert:

Diabaig is at the very base of the Torridionian Sandstone, ~1000 million years old. Maybe it should be called the 'Really, Really Old Red Sandstone' there to avoid confusion with the Old Red Sandstone? :unsure2:

To make it worse, the base of the Torridonian is actually shale / mud (as seen in the photo). the mud was deposited in lakes which filled valleys which existed at the time.

Thank f**k you're not a gynaecologist.

IMAG0542.jpg

Lossiemouth

Lossiemouth

Closer, but still miles off.

Seeing as you thought it was the Covesea lighthouse, here's a picture of the 'New Red Sandstone' at Covesea just for you. The curvey lines are the result sand dunes migrating across a desert ~250 million years ago.

post-13234-0-82349400-1415571595_thumb.j

Tragic I have photos from both wrong guesses though. :(

Archived