Football matches are like buses - Spartans vs Morton

Simplistic

Took in this tie today. Arrived fairly early which was just as well, as the stand seemed to fill who pretty quickly and it was a good turn-out. Well-tempered crowd and atmosphere and nice to have the minute silence for Arthur Montford followed by the Scotsport theme. Also good idea to have youngsters doing penalties and mini-matches for HT interval.

Morton were totally in control in the first half. Spartans disappointing - lots of sloppy passes, and their keeper had a few hairy moments... Morton should have been far further ahead at HT than 0-1. Would they come to rue this profligacy, many of us surely pondered?

Well, yes they would... as with every minute of the second half that ticked by, they further dropped the pace, abandoned the midfield, and seemed almost to retreat into their shells. Spartans had them on the rack for a period either side of the equaliser, that equaliser which looked more and more likely to come. Trauma of being pegged-back to 1-1 shook Morton into action and they came back at Spartans - but that energy all but evaporated when their man got his 2nd booking for a clumsy challenge. (Incidentally was his first yellow for dissent? I was surprised how much abuse Morton players gave the officials even when in control of the game, and at least 1 and possibly 2 of them was booked for carrying the criticisms too far). Spartans decided to go for it v 10 men, and rightly, the winner coming with Morton starting to buckle and desperate for the whistle. Cue delirium among the home support, and crescendoes of "Spartan Army!!" from the youngsters.

Taking the balance of the 2 halves a replay would probably have been merited (IMO), but this is cup-tie football and Spartans played it the right way. Famous victory for them.

First booking was for going into the crowd to celebrate the goal. I can only assume he was the first of the many players who went to the crowd and the ref chose to book him on that basis.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was embarrassing as f**k for the Morton players running towards the young bellends after the first goal.

That was my impression too when I heard about it. They obviously thought it was an important goal against a big team....

By that logic it's embarassing to have non league teams competing with league clubs in the same competition then.

I'm not sure how you would get that from what I said. It's not embarrassing for non-league clubs to be in the competition. If a non-league team beats an SPFL side then it's embarrassing for the side they beat, not anyone else.

I'm not sure how you would get that from what I said. It's not embarrassing for non-league clubs to be in the competition. If a non-league team beats an SPFL side then it's embarrassing for the side they beat, not anyone else.

If its such an embarassment for a SPFL side to lose to a non league team then that surely implies an unacceptable gulf in standard.

Spartans entirely deserved to win that, they outplayed us in the second half and could easily have scored more than two. For all the concern about McGowan being inexperienced, he was the one bailing the defence out after countless errors. The whole team's a mess but Crighton in particular is an absolute disaster area.

As has been said many times, Jim Duffy is a pathetic excuse for a football manager and it's absolutely laughable that some people don't want him sacked. There is a vast amount of evidence that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing from his time at Morton so far and his 25 years of continuous failure before coming here, while there's absolutely nothing to suggest that he's a good manager. Everyone at the game today could see that Spartans were in control of the game and becoming increasingly dominant, yet being an absolute moron he didn't change anything until they'd equalised, at which point the game was already gone: the momentum was completely with them. Managers who only make reactive subs are quite clearly idiots and shouldn't be managers.

That's before even getting into how stupid the subs themselves were. Leaving the absolute waste of space that is Stefan McCluskey on the park was unforgivable, and Russell was one of the few players who hadn't had a shocker in the second half. It was an incredible achievement considering how badly we were playing, but Duffy actually contrived to make things even worse with his changes. He's an absolute clown and his position is completely untenable, but unfortunately our Chairman is also clueless and has a track record of showing far too much loyalty to failing managers, so we're stuck with him.

It's certainly no coincidence that our winning run ended as soon as Joe McKee returned to the team either. One of many players who looked out of their depth against a Lowland League team today. Credit has to go to Spartans for exploiting our weaknesses and they deserved to win, but it was a shambolic performance and Duffy should be returning to Clyde tomorrow. He can take most of the players he's signed with him.

If its such an embarassment for a SPFL side to lose to a non league team then that surely implies an unacceptable gulf in standard.

Okay, should Championship teams not be allowed to enter cups that Celtic are in as it would be embarrassing for Celtic to lose to any of them and that means there's an unacceptable gulf in standard?

Russell created a good chance for Barrowman, one of very few in the second half, and a minute later was subbed. Which left only O'Ware, McKee, and JMcluskey in an already overwhelmed midfield (and SMcluskey still on the park).Took far too long to change anything, and when he did it was a baffling mess.

I have no idea how anyone could have any faith in Duffy's ability.

Okay, should Championship teams not be allowed to enter cups that Celtic are in as it would be embarrassing for Celtic to lose to any of them and that means there's an unacceptable gulf in standard?

Read the thread before you spout pish. I dont subscribe to that view at all. Non league teams have regularly proved they can compete with league sides. Its not so long ago that Spartans took St Mirren to a replay.

So you and Dumdum look closer to home for moronic posts.

Read the thread before you spout pish. I dont subscribe to that view at all. Non league teams have regularly proved they can compete with league sides. Its not so long ago that Spartans took St Mirren to a replay.

So you and Dumdum look closer to home for moronic posts.

Oh, so you're arguing that this isn't an embarrassing result for Morton?

:lol:

Shiels resigned mainly because of an utterly shambolic result, and this should be no different. Shiels had at least shown (minimal) signs of managing capability before that, whereas Duffy is simply an imbecile - get him out the door.

The only reason we're top of the league is because we're playing in a division that even Stirling can pick up points in.

:lol:

Good reply. I'm sure you are embarassed by your teams result but I'm not that surprised, as are lots of folk. The top non league teams play decent stuff.

I'm not surprised by the result either, and Spartans do indeed play some decent stuff. That doesn't mean it's not embarrassing though.

Archived