Expecting trouble?

MacWatt

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they sung "no surrender to the Nazi scum" at any match, there could be no doubt that the purpose of the song was to gratuitously offend and label all Germans as "Nazi scum". What other purpose would this song possibly serve?

If they sung "no surrender to the IRA scum" at any match, there could be no doubt that the purpose of the song was to gratuitously offend and label all Irish as "IRA scum". What other purpose would this song possibly serve?

How are you possibly taking this as my saying "they're pretty much calling everyone on earth IRA supporting nazis"?!

think you need to stop digiing mate

so again answer my question if I sing "no surrender to the edl scum" am I singing an anti english or and anti edl song using your logic and opinion?

If they sung "no surrender to the Nazi scum" at any match, there could be no doubt that the purpose of the song was to gratuitously offend and label all Germans as "Nazi scum". What other purpose would this song possibly serve?

If they sung "no surrender to the IRA scum" at any match, there could be no doubt that the purpose of the song was to gratuitously offend and label all Irish as "IRA scum". What other purpose would this song possibly serve?

How are you possibly taking this as my saying "they're pretty much calling everyone on earth IRA supporting nazis"?!

More whataboutery.

zulus to emphaise they are a multi racial group

Theyre another club that can be added to the miniscule list of those in the uk with much of an ethnic following. Its arguable whether theyve ever had a larger afro/caribbean following than the likes of west ham or spurs despite what tree house tam has read in his hooligan paperbacks.

Theyre another club that can be added to the miniscule list of those in the uk with much of an ethnic following. Its arguable whether theyve ever had a larger afro/caribbean following than the likes of west ham or spurs despite what tree house tam has read in his hooligan paperbacks.

Their hooligans are made up of plenty of white and black where as every other firm is 99.9999999999% white

think you need to stop digiing mate

so again answer my question if I sing "no surrender to the edl scum" am I singing an anti english or and anti edl song using your logic and opinion?

Sorry, didn't get a chance to respond - it's a good question, but here's why the comparison to the EDL doesn't stand up:

For the best part of 30 years in Britain, just having an Irish accent, or sometimes even just an Irish surname, was enough for some people to think you were an IRA terrorist. The IRA, as well as the death and destruction they caused in Britain, also caused immense damage to the morale and reputation of hundreds of thousands of decent Irish people living in Britain during that time, who had to live with the stigma of being a suspected "terrorist" by association.

So for England fans to keep dragging this no surrender pish up, 16 years after the Good Friday Agreement, is deeply hurtful and offensive to Irish people and in particular to the Irish community in the UK, who would like to move on and leave that horrible era in the past.

The EDL, loathsome organisation that it is, quite simply does not carry the same emotional and historical baggage for English people as the IRA does for the Irish.

Are you so bothered when Sellick fans keep the old fire burning with their awayday repitoire?? Everyone present, wherever they're from seem happy enough to go along with it at the time. Not what i'd call aching to leave things in the past, as you put it

This might come as a major shock to you but the Celtic away support are not the official representatives of Irish people in Britain.

Well whoever is 'supposed' to be aren't doing a great deal to distance themselves from the actions of a fraction of their community. So maybe they aren't as bothered by pro/anti IRA singalongs after all, as they don't need some official voice (including yours) speaking for them. There are plenty of Eire flags to be spotted at many PL grounds, and very likely more than a few Irish fans sit alongside some of those Engerlund rascals without incident. Indeed....the many who flock to Anfield, Goodison, Old Trafford, Eastlands, Elland Rd, the Lane and Emirates all year round manage to observe a minutes silence better than the two or three dozen self-appointed representatives who heckle it every fucking year. I wonder why.

Well whoever is 'supposed' to be aren't doing a great deal to distance themselves from the actions of a fraction of their community. So maybe they aren't as bothered by pro/anti IRA singalongs after all, as they don't need some official voice (including yours) speaking for them. There are plenty of Eire flags to be spotted at many PL grounds, and very likely more than a few Irish fans sit alongside some of those Engerlund rascals without incident. Indeed....the many who flock to Anfield, Goodison, Old Trafford, Eastlands, Elland Rd, the Lane and Emirates all year round manage to observe a minutes silence better than the two or three dozen self-appointed representatives who heckle it every fucking year. I wonder why.

There is no one "official" representative for the entire Irish community in Britain. Various towns and cities may have local Irish Associations etc. In what way should these groups "distance" themselves from songs that fans of Glasgow Celtic FC may or may not sing?

I'm not saying anyone should. The majority, not vast but a majority nonetheless, of UK based Irish citizens or descendants don't seem bothered enough to make as big a deal of this as you. The only ones who do, are usually found at Celtic games, stoking the old flames as i said. It wouldnt half be hypocritical of an Irish fan who was fussed about it to just attach yourself to a club in the country which supposedly offends you. Maybe following a glamorous, winning team (or rather, SEEN to be) is more important to some than dredging up historical tit-for-tat when they aren't even playing England. I've certainly never felt compelled to sing about the IRA when we've played Ireland, nor when Clyde have played Celtic, but then i've never lost a relative or been in a city when they chose to blow a big hole in it.

I'm not saying anyone should. The majority, not vast but a majority nonetheless, of UK based Irish citizens or descendants don't seem bothered enough to make as big a deal of this as you. The only ones who do, are usually found at Celtic games, stoking the old flames as i said. It wouldnt half be hypocritical of an Irish fan who was fussed about it to just attach yourself to a club in the country which supposedly offends you. Maybe following a glamorous, winning team (or rather, SEEN to be) is more important to some than dredging up historical tit-for-tat when they aren't even playing England. I've certainly never felt compelled to sing about the IRA when we've played Ireland, nor when Clyde have played Celtic, but then i've never lost a relative or been in a city when they chose to blow a big hole in it.

I remember lying in bed at night as a 9 year old boy when my bedroom window was shaken by the city bomb in 92, and I find the no surrender song vile. The implication is "surrendering to the IRA=bad but surrendering to the UDA=ok".

I've certainly never felt compelled to sing about the IRA when we've played Ireland, nor when Clyde have played Celtic, but then i've never lost a relative or been in a city when they chose to blow a big hole in it.

So if you lost a relative to an IRA bomb, or been in a city that was bombed by the IRA, would you sing anti-IRA songs when playing Ireland? And if so, can you articulate why you would do that?

Archived