fracking

moses1924

I see today Ineos, owners of the Grangemouth refinery, are intending to invest 640 million pounds in exploration for shale gas throughout central scotland and are buying up licenses:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30125028

What are peoples thoughts on this? I live not too far from where this is likely to be taking place and am broadly in favour of extracting shale gas as long as there are strong safegaurds in place regarding pollution. It could potentially lead to much cheaper energy which in turn could bring about a revival in manufacturing in an area which badly needs more skilled jobs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it and ignore the beardie weirdies and any opportunistic politicians who try to use it as a constitutional wedge issue. The economy of the central belt needs the Grangemouth refinery and would benefit from the cheaper energy prices that are currently being enjoyed in the United States. If you have lots of wind power you need something like gas to balance it in the absence of Norwegian scale pump-storage hydro, so it isn't necessarily counter to the renewables agenda.

Most of the places where fracking will happen are places where there has been industry and coal mining etc previously. We all know the general wailing from the leftards when Thatchaaaa killed the miners. So why the hell not? Fracking is much less "industrial" than mining was. And much less dangerous too.

Fracking will be happening regardless no matter what the green weirdos say. Another thing I will have been proven right about of course.<_< It should put some pressure on the SG who have final say on planning applications as well. They have generally, publically, postured against it. But they are absolutely all for it just as I am.

Interesting that Ineos are looking to get going in Scotland first as there isn't anywhere near as much shale gas here as there is in England. I suppose it depends on what they are wanting to do. They are looking to plough a load of money into this regardless so they obviously see a good return coming.

I tink Scotland's best resource is its water, and think anything that threatens that to the extent fracking does should be left well alone. It's inevitable though because £££s, can only hope that our water sources dont end up getting contaminated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/fracking/11097487/Fracking-doesnt-contaminate-water-supplies-faulty-shale-gas-wells-do.html

Take this story for example, it's not the process of fracking, but the adjoined process of constructing wells that lead to contamination. So there's absolutely no chance of contamination because of regulations. I don't buy it and don't think the risk is worth it.

broadly agree longtermlurker, people forget just how industrial activities such as coal mining, steel making etc affected the places in which they occured in Stirlinghsire, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire etc. Shale gas will have much less of an impact than those industries which many people now look back on with fondness, if we are going to have a manufacturing industry in Scotland we need to extract raw materials and right now shale gas is looking like one of the few natural resources it is economic to bring to the surface.

I tink Scotland's best resource is its water, and think anything that threatens that to the extent fracking does should be left well alone. It's inevitable though because £££s, can only hope that our water sources dont end up getting contaminated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/fracking/11097487/Fracking-doesnt-contaminate-water-supplies-faulty-shale-gas-wells-do.html

Take this story for example, it's not the process of fracking, but the adjoined process of constructing wells that lead to contamination. So there's absolutely no chance of contamination because of regulations. I don't buy it and don't think the risk is worth it.

It doesn't affect our water supply. The shale in the UK lies very deep underground. Our drinking water doesn't come from underground sources like is sometimes can abroad. If you knew anything whatsoever about the process of fracking you'd realise why the risk is tiny. Its just another argument that the green imbeciles are going to lose anyway.

Go for it and ignore the beardie weirdies and any opportunistic politicians who try to use it as a constitutional wedge issue. The economy of the central belt needs the Grangemouth refinery and would benefit from the cheaper energy prices that are currently being enjoyed in the United States. If you have lots of wind power you need something like gas to balance it in the absence of Norwegian scale pump-storage hydro, so it isn't necessarily counter to the renewables agenda.

Fracking was blocked over here in Fermanagh. Can't find the story now. Maybe Arlene didn't fancy it on her home turf, although I'd hardly call her a beardie weirdie.

TFS could do with some home produced energy.

Hopefully this totally ends the left wing nutters constant bleating about Thatcher killing the coal industry. Incredible to think the very real environmental damage that coal mining actually caused in comparison to the minuscule risk from Fracking. There are still areas of Scotland where subsidence from old mine workings is a potential risk. The shafts needed to mine coal were pretty big. the pipe needed for fracking is less than a foot in diameter and is around 2 miles underground. Once drilled and fracked, its left and gas seeps out. Thats pretty much it. The actual fracking site itself is no bigger than a football pitch and doesn't involve high buildings. They can easily be screened from view with landscaping.

This is good news for us all, and should especially be welcomed by the imbeciles that think windmills are the way to go, because each installed windmill needs ever single POTENTIAL GWh of capacity to be matched somewhere by a gar fired power station. In due course we will have so much gas on tap that we will be using gas almost exclusively to generate our electricity. This generation of windmills will not be replaced once they snuff it in a decade or so.

Regulations on fracking in Scotland should be the preserve of the Scottish Parliament.

No they shouldn't. But planning permission already is. So the SG will have the final say on whether it allows it or not. And it WILL. <_<

Don't agree with the practice. A monumental waste of water and it obliterates the landscape. All to suck the earth dry of it's precious fossil fuels. Tragic.

We'd be better investing in the clean, renewable energies industry.

:wacko:

Fracking was blocked over here in Fermanagh. Can't find the story now. Maybe Arlene didn't fancy it on her home turf, although I'd hardly call her a beardie weirdie.

TFS could do with some home produced energy.

Suspect it would be more the farming vote than the environmentalist one that would swing things in that part of the world where the calculations made by opportunistic politicians are concerned. Think Grangemouth supplies TFS with fuel as well as Scotland and parts of northern England, so the area in the immediate vicinity of the refinery is the obvious place for Ineos to go first for shale gas supply.

Archived