Ally McCoist, Pie and Bovril decides?

Obviously McCoist should quit as it's just not working out for him. His teams play shit and in my opinion the players don't respect him enough. Rangers never had many players with technical ability when Walter Smith was in charge but he set the team to play to their strengths and they were successful. That was due to two things, Walter using the players properly and the fact they'd run through brick walls for the guy. They gave 100% every game. Would they do that for Ally? I doubt it, and Ally is starting left backs at right back, full backs in midfield, right midfielders on the left etc. He actually learned that from Walter, but the difference is when Walter did it it made sense. With McCoists squads you're like "What?".

Anyway's. McCoist won't quit. Even if Rangers dropped down to fourth place he'd probably be going on about how Rangers are still in the play-off places and that he believe's they'll still be promoted. The only way he'll quit is if Rangers fail to get promoted. Can Rangers afford not to get promoted though? Would it be an investment to pay Ally to leave and hope his replacement gets promotion to the Premiership? Possibly.

I don't think promotion to the Premiership will solve any of Rangers problems. There are too many money sucking leeches involved at the club who think throwing money at themsel....sorry, the team, will put them in their (ahem) rightful place at the top of Scottish football.

I hope McCoist stays, it's been wonderful watching the Ibrox clusterfvck disintegrating.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the main problem at the club in terms of the football is McCoist, so promotion won't solve that. :)

As for Rangers' "rightful" place in the top league. Many will disagree with that opinion but the fact is Rangers (and Hearts/Hibs) "rightful" place is the Premiership. I think people maybe misinterpret that claim as an implication they should be there without merit. No, that's not what people mean when they say those three teams belong in the Premiership. Of course, you only deserve to be there if you get promoted. But from a business perspective be it ticket sales or TV contracts, yes, they belong in the Premiership.

But, as I say, they need to get there on merit in a football sense first. And the only way to that is to get promoted.

Well, the main problem at the club in terms of the football is McCoist, so promotion won't solve that. :)

As for Rangers' "rightful" place in the top league. Many will disagree with that opinion but the fact is Rangers (and Hearts/Hibs) "rightful" place is the Premiership. I think people maybe misinterpret that claim as an implication they should be there without merit. No, that's not what people mean when they say those three teams belong in the Premiership. Of course, you only deserve to be there if you get promoted. But from a business perspective be it ticket sales or TV contracts, yes, they belong in the Premiership.

But, as I say, they need to get there on merit in a football sense first. And the only way to that is to get promoted.

Your last paragraph says it all. No football team has the right to be in the Premiership, they must earn that right.

It's the sense of entitlement which the phrase betrays, that is the problem.

It's the sense of entitlement which the phrase betrays, that is the problem.

It's the fact that they have to earn the right to eat at the top that some are finding it hard to come to terms with.

Imagine wanting his team to play in the top league, shame on the Pundit (grrrrrr)

Except that's not what the problem is here. Okay, lets try an extreme.

Morton should be playing in the top league.

What's the problem with that statement? And try not to avoid the question with a shite joke.

What's the problem with that statement? And try not to avoid the question with a shite joke.

Greenocks a fair sized town, of a similar size to say Kilmarnock and Motherwell i'm guessing, maybe a lack of ambition there...

Tbf the context of the Pundits post is totally different from how it's being interpreted by some, a bit unfairly i may add and someone of your standing should know better.

please reply with one of your awesome jokes...

thepundit sees a place in the top flight as a rightful place. It's not. It's a place to be earned. And if Rangers don't get promoted then no, they shouldn't be in the premier. Because they didn't earn that spot. Infact, thepundit was very clear about what he meant. He went into great detail about it, and said Hibs and Hearts "should" be there too, to prove the point he was making. Which was a lot of bullshit. No team SHOULD be in the top league. The teams that are there should be there. Because they earned the places.

Trying to bring business and that into it didn't wash with anyone. Apart from you of course.

Sports Hotline: Opinion split on Ally McCoist but it seems it's only Celtic fans that are backing him to stay
GAVIN BERRY manned the phones today and it was a mixed bag including views on the future of the Rangers boss, Barry Hearn and whether booze has a place back in football.
JS51390928.jpg
Ally McCoist was unsurprisingly top of the Hotline agenda today

FOOTBALL these days is often as much about roaring in rage as cheering in celebration.

Boycotts, demos, vendettas ... our game is hating itself to death.

Ally McCoist is the latest object of supporters’ anger but Celtic fan Billy McDonald, Newton Mearns , said: “While there are protests planned at Ibrox against McCoist, Celtic fans are going to hold up cards in support of him in the ninth minute against Motherwell. We want him to stay.”

Bud Hay, Dumfries , said: “I should get a refund on my TV licence for watching Rangers defeat to Alloa.”

Ronnie Stewart, Kilmarnock , said: “I’ve lost every bit of respect I ever had for Ally McCoist. I would never think of renewing a season ticket until the Three Amigos have gone.”

Billy Watson, Irvine , said: “The Easdales should be going before anyone. Ally should be given until the end of the season at least - the players have let him down.

Dunky Robertson, London , said: “Ally McCoist chose the right words after the Alloa game. He said we’re going to have another autopsy. As a manager he’s nothing but a dead loss.”

Hugh Reilly, Dundee , said: “I gave up with McCoist months ago but if it meant getting rid of the board, I’d go into administration and get Bryan Jackson in to sort it out and that would maybe open the door for Brian Kennedy and Dave King.”

Jimmy Nelson, Johnstone , said: “I’ve said for two years McCoist shouldn’t be manager but he shouldn’t leave Ibrox altogether because he has such a personality that he would be useful in some role even if it’s just as an ambassador.”

What's the problem with that statement?

Their Chairman cant afford the bonuses / wage rises so if they are ever in a position to gain promotion he will order his team to chuck away a huge lead.

What's my prize for being the first correct answer?

Their Chairman cant afford the bonuses / wage rises so if they are ever in a position to gain promotion he will order his team to chuck away a huge lead.

What's my prize for being the first correct answer?

Your prize is being laughed at for obvious deflection.

Try a serious answer next time.

Kenny Miller: Ally McCoist will never lose the Rangers dressing room but the players need to stand up and be counted
STRIKER insists squad are behind their manager and tells his team-mates it's up to them to take pressure off of under-fire boss.
JS51448071.jpg
Kenny Miller shakes hands with manager Ally McCoist

KENNY MILLER last night insisted under-fire Ally McCoist has not and never will lose the dressing room at Rangers.

The Ibrox striker blasted out his message of unity as the storm clouds gathered over his manager.

McCoist is facing major flak after the worst on-pitch calamity of his reign, a numbing 3-2 Petrofac Cup semi-final loss to Alloa in midweek.

The Rangers gaffer has lost a section
 of the support and some of the boardroom – but Miller insists that no faction of the dressing room has deserted their leader. Not now and not ever.

Miller said: “Listen, whether we win leagues, cups or trophies, he will never lose that dressing room no matter what happens.

“He can only do so much. When you are a manager, the buck is always going to stop with you but players have got to take responsibility for the situation sometimes and Wednesday night was 
definitely one of those times because at 2-0 up the game was won.

Ally McCoist: I still have the backing of the board

“We’re out there on the field, we’re 2-0 up and the game is pretty much won. Let’s be honest, what can a manager do at that point apart from stand and watch?

“The dressing room is fully behind the manager and he will never lose us.

“We want to fight for him because we know we let him down on Wednesday, we know we let the fans down. If we are to have any success this year, it’ll be by sticking together.

“I don’t think the manager would even want me sitting here saying I support him.

“He knows how we feel about him, he knows all the players are fully behind him and that’s the facts, however things are dressed up or look from the outside''

Nevertheless, Miller also knows that players can only deflect the abuse away from McCoist by producing performances and results. Words won’t count for anything if the squad don’t deliver and Miller admits the Alloa nightmare was the worst of his career.

He said: “After a game like that, you might think there would be ranting and raving and bottles and tea cups flying everywhere.

“But sometimes it’s not needed because the result spoke for itself.

”It’s probably the worst I have been involved in. I can’t think back to being in a
position like that in a semi-final, when it means a lot to get to a final. To give it up the way we gave it up is bitterly disappointing and there was disbelief.

“I woke up on Thursday and said to myself: ‘Did that 
actually happen? Did we give up a 2-0 lead with 20 minutes to go in a semi-final?’

“You want to use that feeling, the desire never to feel like that again after a game.”

Needless to say, Rangers 
and McCoist simply cannot afford to suffer a repeat this afternoon.

Cowdenbeath’s visit to Ibrox is about more than just winning three points to stay in touch with Hearts in the promotion race. It’s about saving themselves and their manager from a full-blown outcry, which would even top anything which followed the Alloa disaster.

But Miller refuses to look at potential nightmare scenarios and, instead, chooses to focus on what can be done in the weeks ahead to turn around negative opinions and win back lost favour with the faithful.

He said: “The last thing you want to do is let it fester. We have to get over it quickly and put it in perspective.

“Let’s be honest, we can’t really afford to drop too many more points and fall further back from Hearts.

“We have to win this game and win it well. We know what the expectations are at Rangers, we know that a 
result like Wednesday’s is 
unacceptable and that being nine points behind in the league is unacceptable.

“We’ve got 22 games left, though, to claw it back. And we will.

“We’ve been behind Celtic with a lot fewer games left in the Premier League and come back to win, so why can’t we overtake Hearts in the Championship?

JS51441627.jpg

Miller believes Rangers can still pip Hearts to the Championship title

“My first year back here, I think we were seven points behind Celtic with five or six games left. That’s a big ask. But we did it and we’ve still to play Hearts twice. A draw is the most they’ve slipped up this year in the league and you’d like to think they’re going to be beaten at some point.

“There’s a long way to go 
and I know the hardest thing in a league is getting over that finishing line.

“So come March, April, May, that’s when it will really tell.

“If we are closer to them, which we will be, and applying that pressure, then it’s a different kind of mental 
attitude you’ve got going into a game when you know 
you’re getting so close to that finishing line and you need 
to win.

“I’ve been there before, many a time, and it’s the hardest thing to do.

“So once we get down to the nitty-gritty and we’ve clawed back a few points, we’ll see how they stand up.

“I’m sure they’ll be thinking there’s a nine-point gap and a wee draw is maybe not a disaster for them.

“We’ve just got to make 
sure we’re there to capitalise if they do.”

thepundit sees a place in the top flight as a rightful place. It's not. It's a place to be earned. And if Rangers don't get promoted then no, they shouldn't be in the premier. Because they didn't earn that spot. Infact, thepundit was very clear about what he meant. He went into great detail about it, and said Hibs and Hearts "should" be there too, to prove the point he was making. Which was a lot of bullshit. No team SHOULD be in the top league. The teams that are there should be there. Because they earned the places.

Trying to bring business and that into it didn't wash with anyone. Apart from you of course.

There is no entitlement BUT a club the size of Rangers should not be struggling as badly as they are. The management both on and off the park are holding the club back and without change they will continue to struggle.

In Scotland there is only one club that should be able to compete with Rangers due to their fan base and the amount of money they can generate. You all accept that and have complained about the game not being played on a level playing field for years. You cannot complain about that and then complain when a Rangers poster claims a club like Rangers should be playing in the top league. They should be but there not and i am now not convinced they will be next season.

Your prize is being laughed at for obvious deflection.

Try a serious answer next time.

Still hurting from that one? ;) How many points was it you threw away? :lol:

No deflection at all. You asked a question using Morton the promotion dodgers as the example. I simply gave an answer to that question.

I also answered the question regarding Rangers.

Archived