2014 Club Cup of the World

HibeeJibee

Annual tournament to settle the world champion club got underway this evening in Morocco with a Preliminary tie. Rest of the draw as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_Club_World_Cup

Saturday

4pm... ES Setif (Algeria/Africa) v Auckland City (New Zealand/Oceania)

7:30pm... Cruz Azul (Mexico/North America) v Western Sydney Wanderers (Australia/Asia)

Tuesday

7:30pm... Cruz Azul/Sydney v Real Madrid (Spain/Europe)

Wednesday

4:30pm... 5th/6th Place Playoff

7:30pm... San Lorenzo (Argentina/South America) v Setif/Auckland

next Saturday

4:30pm ... 3rd/4th Place Playoff

7:30pm ... Final

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WSW are in a terrible run of league form at the moment (Played 9, Won 0, Drew 3, Lost 6) and sit bottom of the A-League. But they did raise their game for the ACL and I'd expect them to do the same v Cruz Azul.

WSW are in a terrible run of league form at the moment (Played 9, Won 0, Drew 3, Lost 6) and sit bottom of the A-League. But they did raise their game for the ACL and I'd expect them to do the same v Cruz Azul.

As long as WSW players are focused on the game and not their pay dispute.

How come Morocco can host this but can't host African cup of nations in January due to risk of Ebola

Because the teams and supporters aren't coming from West Africa (areas affected by Ebola)

It's a shame the tournament isn't more prestigious. FIFA could probably do more with it, instead of playing it quietly off in Africa right in the middle of the season. Europe are probably never going to care anywhere near as much as the team from South America does, but is there a way to do it that they might care just a little more?

I think FIFA have got the format correct as it involves all the Confederation champions (which it has to: it would be unacceptable these days to return to the days of the simple playoff between the European & South American champions), but only burdens the European & South American teams with having to play 2 ties over the space of 5 days. It's played at a fairly sensible time of year, too, e.g. rather than as a pre-season tournament in respect of the European team.

Where it falls down has been their venues. Ok, go to Japan, UAE, Morocco, whatever but take it to some 'heartlands' too. Also, the host country shouldn't have an entrant.

All clubs now take it seriously, fielding first XIs, and it'll enhance its profile gradually, IMO.

Boke.

Remember 2 entrants can exit in QFs. Don't want to fly halfway around the world for 1 tie. (Albeit Oceania's now can after a host club became "entrant 7" with the necessity of playing a Preliminary tie like yesterday's).

It's a shame the tournament isn't more prestigious. FIFA could probably do more with it, instead of playing it quietly off in Africa right in the middle of the season. Europe are probably never going to care anywhere near as much as the team from South America does, but is there a way to do it that they might care just a little more?

I agree it should be bigger than it is, I wouldn't have it every year as it seems to just be a hinderance. i would have it at every 2nd year as a maximum and have more teams in it to draw up more of a common interest around the goobe and Europe especially.

I suppose the problem with that would be marrying the fact that club football at a continental and domestic level works on an annual basis.

You could have it every 4yrs (say in the 'blank' June the year after WCs - although that would now clash with UEFA's Nations League Finals Tournament)... maybe with an 'opening' groupstage for the 16 weaker confederation champions, of whom 8 join the 8 Europeans & South Americans in a 'closing' groupstage then QFs > SFs > Final.

But would that make things better or worse?

It's all a bit meh

10 December

Playoff:
Moghreb Tétouan (MOR) v Auckland City (won on pens) (AUS)

13 December

Quarter-finals:
Auckland City v ES Sétif (ALG)
Cruz Azul (MEX) v W. Sydney Wanderers (AUS)

16 December

Semi Final:
Real Madrid (SPA) v Cruz Azul/W. Sydney Wanderers

17 December

Semi Final:
San Lorenzo (ARG) v Auckland City/ES Sétif

Fifth place match:
Loser of Auckland City v ES Sétif
V
Loser of Cruz Azul v W. Sydney Wanderers

20 December

Third Place Match:
Loser of Real Madrid v Cruz Azul/W. Sydney Wanderers
V
Loser of San Lorenzo (ARG) v Auckland City/ES Sétif

Final:
Winner of Real Madrid v Cruz Azul/W. Sydney Wanderers
V
Winner of San Lorenzo (ARG) v Auckland City/ES Sétif

I'd like to see Scotland host this Tournament. The stadiums we have could easily cope. December weather would be the only drawback.

Did the SFA and the government not claim they'd pursue a bid when they dropped a repeat bid for the Euros? Should aim for 2022, to mark SFA's 150th anniversary.

Celtic would presumably get to play their Preliminary and any QF at Parkhead... Other QF, 5th/6th & 3rd/4th could be at likes of ER, Rugby Park, or New Pittodrie... Hampden, Murrayfield, perhaps Ibrox could then host SFs & Final.

I suppose the problem with that would be marrying the fact that club football at a continental and domestic level works on an annual basis.

I was just suggesting using winners of the continental cups since the last world club competition. In the unlikely event of back to back winners or whatever then Im sure play off for places for the losing finalists could be used perhaps.

There's a thread on the BertKassies forum where someone says FIFA is wanting to introduce a second host slot - for the domestic cup winner? - and replace the early stages with 2 groups of 3: winners would progress to SFs v European & South American opponents.

In today's first QF, Auckland sensationally defeated Setif 1-0. In the other game it is currently 0-0 in Cruz Azul v Western Sydney, winners facing Real Madrid.

Archived