2014 Club Cup of the World

HibeeJibee

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cruz Azul 3-1 WSW (aet)

WSW had Spiranovic sent off in the 72nd minute for 2nd booking then gave away a penalty with 2 minutes of normal time remaining. They then had Topor-Stanley sent off in 1st half extra-time and gave away another penalty. Conditions were farcical due to rain and some of the refereeing decisions were as mystifying as those in the ACL Final.

Topor-Stanley got his first yellow for another player fouling another player. It was all a farce

An utter farce. The game should probably have been postponed due to the state of the pitch, the officials had an absolute mare, Cruz Azul probably had a couple of better penalty shouts before the 89th minute.

I guess the two questions are 1) How strong a team will Real put out at the weekend and 2) How many will they pump San Lorenzo by? Tim Vickery certainly seems to expect a cricket score.

I think he's right. San Lorenzo finished 8th in the Argentine league just finished and were distinctly ordinary against Auckland. I suppose they can hope that football being football maybe they can do an 'Auckland' to Real...

Real will be keen to win the tournament and in convincing fashion. I'm sure they'll field their strongest XI and aim to score goals, though obviously if they're cruising several goals up they'll ease-off.

Barcelona have won it twice... whilst Real haven't won it, despite being engineered into the inaugural tournament in 2000 (they missed-out on the Final on GD). Reason enough in itself, surely.

Archived