Question Time

Elixir

If grammar schools are the answer, we're almost certainly asking the wrong question.

Question time audiences love a grammar school debate

hasn't the social class gap got bigger since grammar school closed? the gap between the 1% and the rest is as big as ever since grammar schools closed.. i think we need to test both

hasn't the social class gap got bigger since grammar school closed? the gap between the 1% and the rest is as big as ever since grammar schools closed.. i think we need to test both

My comment was more the amount of times it's brought up on question time rather than the merits of the arguments. Given the amount of slating mental health services received over the last week for example, would rather seen that highlighted or more variety of topics. Probably goes for immigration too, although given the referendum it's pretty unavoidable.

My comment was more the amount of times it's brought up on question time rather than the merits of the arguments. Given the amount of slating mental health services received over the last week for example, would rather seen that highlighted or more variety of topics. Probably goes for immigration too, although given the referendum it's pretty unavoidable.

i agree with mental health its barely mentioned and suicide among males is pretty high and shocking and needs to be debated.

i agree with mental health its barely mentioned and suicide among males is pretty high and shocking and needs to be debated.

Doesn't fit with the "support feminism" agenda that seems rife in the mainstream media. Even though this issue of male suicide has been problematic for fucking years.

Doesn't fit with the "support feminism" agenda that seems rife in the mainstream media. Even though this issue of male suicide has been problematic for fucking years.

Maybe instead of asking questions about trump and grammar schools we debate Mental health.. but of course the dumb media wont.

The problems with mental health provisions cause detriment to men, women and children. Would be much better if everyone complained together for it to be put on a par with physical health rather than everyone fighting for their own groups or gender. Division just makes it easier for the government to ignore everyone while promising they'll "look into things".

Oooft - even by your own low standards of fail, blaming a 'support feminism' agenda - that only apparently exists in the media - for men toppIng themselves is a new low.

Please be extremely specific as to how, why and where said 'support feminism agenda' even remotely intersects with male rates of suicide.

Oooft - even by your own low standards of fail, blaming a 'support feminism' agenda - that only apparently exists in the media - for men toppIng themselves is a new low.

Please be extremely specific as to how, why and where said 'support feminism agenda' even remotely intersects with male rates of suicide.

What an abortion of a post. Minefields and physical activity come to mind here.

In your own words, please be extremely specific and show us where the poster claimed that a "support feminism" agenda is being blamed for men topping themselves.

Any normal person interpreting the post would see that the claim is that the media ignore the problem of male suicide as it does not fit with their "support feminism" bias.

Utter tosh. The lack of coverage of male suicide is to do with the general reluctance and wariness of discussing mental illness, it has absolutely nothing to do with any perceived feminist bias.

Why does the reluctance exist?

Why does the reluctance exist?

I think people are just a squeamish about mental health issues. And newspapers are wary of being accused of setting off copy cat suicides as they were with their coverage of the Bridgend "epidemic".

I think people are just a squeamish about mental health issues. And newspapers are wary of being accused of setting off copy cat suicides as they were with their coverage of the Bridgend "epidemic".

The discussion of suicide does not increase the chances of someone else committing suicide.

DonnieDarko, on 19 Feb 2016 - 14:49, said:

The discussion of suicide does not increase the chances of someone else committing suicide.

He didn't say it does. He said they were accused of it. Think it's understandable that people might be a bit wary of being blamed for people's deaths.

Although mental health being a bit of a taboo subject is probably the bigger issue here.

He didn't say it does. He said they were accused of it. Think it's understandable that people might be a bit wary of being blamed for people's deaths.

Although mental health being a bit of a taboo subject is probably the bigger issue here.

And this is where my point lies; there's no denying there has been an increase on the coverage of "feminist issues", but I feel this is at the detriment of issues such as male suicide (and mental health in general), which to me is of far greater importance.

And this is where my point lies; there's no denying there has been an increase on the coverage of "feminist issues", but I feel this is at the detriment of issues such as male suicide (and mental health in general), which to me is of far greater importance.

You might as well say that papers with a pro or anti EU agenda are filling the pages with that instead of male suicide, unless you can provide a causal link between feminism and the lack of coverage of male suicide.

It's only to the detriment of it if, before these feminist issues were being brought up, there was more and better discussion about men's mental health. This is obviously not the case.

It's only to the detriment of it if, before these feminist issues were being brought up, there was more and better discussion about men's mental health. This is obviously not the case.

I'm not taking sides on this one but that's blatantly not true. You can't say a illness is only stunting a child's growth if the child was taller before they got the illness.

I'm not taking sides on this one but that's blatantly not true. You can't say a illness is only stunting a child's growth if the child was taller before they got the illness.

Okay, pedant, read it as "if the growth in discussion of men's mental health has reduced or reversed".

Clearly neither is the case. We talk about these men-specific issues more than we ever did before. It's actually more likely that recognition of social structures that contribute to many types of discrimination against women has made it possible, even easier, to talk about how gender roles negatively affect men.