Question Time

Elixir

For the ordinary Joe on the street and depending on what generation he or she's from it is summed up by either mods on mopeds, Eddie the Eagle Edwards or the Spice Girls. For the thinking man it's a faded and ripped, blood-soaked rag and for the zealot it's a veil of of respectability to hide their xenophobia, insecurities and twisted sense of loyalty behind.

Many Scots don't recognise the flag as it has been annexed by certain sections of uk establishment and groups with usually less than tolerant agendas. When I was young it was all britain, queen and union jack, I even waved a flag (lion rampant) admittedly when Mrs Windsor drove through Sauchie waving at streets lined with people. There was full employment then and since that time the country has changed markedly. Scotland has been shafted in every way since the 70's. The days of the benevolent employer are long gone, as I know to my own cost, and the populace have woken up to the facts about how we are thought of by the political class of britain. The ruling classes want a return to Victorian values, but I think most people in Scotland want to move onward and upward, looking after their own affairs in the 21st century because the penny has dropped, and that's why folk are rejecting the flag, the UK and the government, their eyes have been opened to the injustices and won't be closed any time soon

Fair do's Rob perhaps Peppino is a wee bit OTT but c'mon.

It represents, a sense of fair play, warmth, humour and kindness.

You really are comin' the c**t aren't ye. :lol::thumsup2

Not at all, for the ordinary Joe on a ordinary street, I think its pretty much summed up there! It's the country he lives in and the flag it flies under. It's symbolic only I suppose, but it's what's under the surface that counts, as a United Kingdom we're a pretty decent lot generally! The flag belongs to us, not the government (past or present) or the legacy of long gone British colonial masters.

Many Scots (and indeed other UK residents) don't recognise the Union or the Flag as their own, fair enough it's their choice.

Fair enough Rob but I still think you're joshin' :thumsup2

For the ordinary Joe on the street and depending on what generation he or she's from it is summed up by either mods on mopeds, Eddie the Eagle Edwards or the Spice Girls. For the thinking man it's a faded and ripped, blood-soaked rag and for the zealot it's a veil of of respectability to hide their xenophobia, insecurities and twisted sense of loyalty behind.

And sadly, stained with the blood of tens of thousands of Scots who fought to protect these isles and those living under the flag from tyranny, fascism and terrorism. That for me is never taken for granted or forgotten, whether you agree with the motivations of the ruling powers at the time or not.

And sadly, stained with the blood of tens of thousands of Scots who fought to protect these isles and those living under the flag from tyranny, fascism and terrorism. That for me is never taken for granted or forgotten, whether you agree with the motivations of the ruling powers at the time or not.

And it is a thousand candles that will burn for every brave soldier that marches to the steps of the drums of liberty, so that tyranny will never trample the spirit of freedom in the hearts of men, throughout a world thrown into darkness and despair. It is despots and tryants who run our rivers red with the colors of a hundred trampled flags that unfurl in the winds of liberty, blowing over centuries of deprivation ... where men who have known treachery and treason can still light torches in the caves of honor...

😂😂😂

Certainly plenty of Scots killed in WW1, and for what? Wasn't to protect these islands. More of a family feud between a load of inbred cousins The percentage of Scottish soldiers in the forces to deaths was horrendous. Used as dispensable cannonfodder for king and country and came home to a land fit for heroes and unemployment. The only winners in wars are big business, it's not about patriotism or anything like it, although that is always the rallying cry.

Certainly plenty of Scots killed in WW1, and for what? Wasn't to protect these islands. More of a family feud between a load of inbred cousins The percentage of Scottish soldiers in the forces to deaths was horrendous. Used as dispensable cannonfodder for king and country and came home to a land fit for heroes and unemployment. The only winners in wars are big business, it's not about patriotism or anything like it, although that is always the rallying cry.

Go back to 1759 when the Frazer Highlanders were fighting in the French/Indian Wars in the Battle of the Heights of Abraham.

General James Wolfe said that Scottish soldiers should be sent into battle because "they are hardy, intrepid, accustomed to a rough country, and no great mischief if they fall."

You seem to hold some value to how upset someone is/isn't by your posts, not an attractive characteristic.

A fair description would also consider the millions who have sought protection and safety underneath it, a flag still held up today as a bastion of hope from those seeking shelter from persecution and danger, extended and accepted across the whole world.

It represents, a sense of fair play, warmth, humour and kindness. Yes, I think that's a much more positive reflection.

That is quite possibly the most deluded bunch of claptrap I have read in my entire life.

Bravo, sir. Bra-funkin-vo!

Edited by Todders

This building site is more shite than most, I would suggest. 

I hope that the rooms facing south get a discount.

1000182-19251379-1600-900.jpg

That picture's over a decade out of date mate. I could find you a much shiter picture of Firhill and a more contemporary one at that.

#MonTheBing

That picture's over a decade out of date mate. I could find you a much shiter picture of Firhill and a more contemporary one at that.

#MonTheBing

I've not been to your midden since the April 2001 game in the season Partick & Arbroath both went up from the old division 2. A routine away win.

As far as I remember, the student halls were completed by then?

I've not been to your midden since the April 2001 game in the season Partick & Arbroath both went up from the old division 2. A routine away win.

As far as I remember, the student halls were completed by then?

Since that photo was taken, the halls have been long since completed and the stand in front of them has been extended the full width of the pitch. And the terracing from which the photo was taken has been bulldozed and replaced with a grassy knoll with scaffolding on it for the TV cameras.

#FreeTheBing

That is quite possibly the most deluded bunch of claptrap I have read in my entire life.

Bravo, sir. Bra-funkin-vo!

You take a different view, that's fine, there are millions of us across these shores that feel the same way! My delusion equals your denial?

And it is a thousand candles that will burn for every brave soldier that marches to the steps of the drums of liberty, so that tyranny will never trample the spirit of freedom in the hearts of men, throughout a world thrown into darkness and despair. It is despots and tryants who run our rivers red with the colors of a hundred trampled flags that unfurl in the winds of liberty, blowing over centuries of deprivation ... where men who have known treachery and treason can still light torches in the caves of honor...

😂😂😂

You quote with crying laughter, hollow patronisation of something you hate about Scotland.

The law of Animals, destroy what you don't understand.