Question Time

Elixir

What does Mervyn King have to do with the rUK s decision as a sovereign entity to choose not to enter into a currency share arrangement with IScotland?

I'm sure if he'd been against it during the indyref campaign you'd have been all over it like a tramp with a bag of Roysters.

I'm sure if he'd been against it during the indyref campaign you'd have been all over it like a tramp with a bag of Roysters.

It was never a purely economic decision. It was a political one largely.

No UK government would entertain a currency union with a fledgling Scottish state.

Not that it matters now anyway.

Maybe you should tell the Catalans that they aren't a self respecting country.

Have they rejected their sovereignty at the ballot box? It's my understanding that the Catalans are trying to become a "self respecting country" because at the moment they feel they are not.

It really doesn't help your case to pick a country that is actively and volubly seeking independence because it finds regionalism intolerable. 😂

It was never a purely economic decision. It was a political one largely.

No UK government would entertain a currency union with a fledgling Scottish state.

Not that it matters now anyway.

Much better to pour money into the pockets of the junkies and benefits-scrounging Jocks of a povo Scottish region, right?

What a lovely political system we have - you can't leave it because we'll do our best to ruin you. Purely political, babez.

Edited by Antlion

Have they rejected their sovereignty at the ballot box? It's my understanding that the Catalans are trying to become a "self respecting country" because at the moment they feel they are not.

It really doesn't help your case to pick a country that is actively and volubly seeking independence because it finds regionalism intolerable. 😂

It doesn't find regionalism intolerable.

Given it is still a part of Spain and will continue to be so. It just wishes a better deal as a regional government within Spain. Its politics.

It doesn't find regionalism intolerable.

Given it is still a part of Spain and will continue to be so. It just wishes a better deal as a regional government within Spain. Its politics.

So you're saying Catalonia embraces regionalism and does not want independence? Why don't you tell that to the people of Catalonia ...

Catalonia is not seeking independence. Some Catalonians, a minority, supported pro secession parties, but because of their electoral system received a slim majority of seats in the Parliament of Catalonia.

No referendum has been held in conformity with the constitutional requirements of the democratic and sovereign state of which they are a territorial subdivision. An illegal consultation was boycotted by anti-secession political parties and has no legitimacy.

Catalonia is an entity which owes its entire legal privileges to the Spanish Constitution and is explicitly recognised as an historical nationality, both in its being allowed to invoke Article 151 of the Constitution under the post-Franco Constitution and most recently in its Statute of Autonomy of 2005's preamble, a document ratified in accordance with the Spanish Constitution by the Catalonian Parliament, the Spanish Cortes Generales, and by a lawful referendum of the peoples of the Spanish provinces that make up Catalonia.

Catalonia is not seeking independence. Some Catalonians, a minority, supported pro secession parties, but because of their electoral system received a slim majority of seats in the Parliament of Catalonia.

No referendum has been held in conformity with the constitutional requirements of the democratic and sovereign state of which they are a territorial subdivision. An illegal consultation was boycotted by anti-secession political parties and has no legitimacy.

Catalonia is an entity which owes its entire legal privileges to the Spanish Constitution and is explicitly recognised as an historical nationality, both in its being allowed to invoke Article 151 of the Constitution under the post-Franco Constitution and most recently in its Statute of Autonomy of 2005's preamble, a document ratified in accordance with the Spanish Constitution by the Catalonian Parliament, the Spanish Cortes Generales, and by a lawful referendum of the peoples of the Spanish provinces that make up Catalonia.

Libby, I would pay you to go and read that out, in Catalonian, on the balcony of the Palau de la Generalitat. Loudly and in your usual inimitable, "I know better than most people" style, if possible. Only please go soon.

In what way is Catalonia not seeking independence are you ignoring the democratic process that returned an absolute majority?  Also when you say minority, you mean less than 50% of the voters in a turnout of 75%?  Is this not equivalent to saying that the SNP had no mandate to hold our referendum in 2014?

Libby, I would pay you to go and read that out, in Catalonian, on the balcony of the Palau de la Generalitat. Loudly and in your usual inimitable, "I know better than most people" style, if possible. Only please go soon.

I think you're giving him too much credit there.

...and remember tae call them camperols. :thumsup2

In what way is Catalonia not seeking independence are you ignoring the democratic process that returned an absolute majority?  Also when you say minority, you mean less than 50% of the voters in a turnout of 75%?  Is this not equivalent to saying that the SNP had no mandate to hold our referendum in 2014?

1. No I'm not ignoring it, I'm pointing out that a minority of votes for pro-secession parties does not constitute "Catalonia" seeking independence. It doesn't even amount to them "seeking" a referendum, because they didn't run on a platform to hold a referendum. They ran very specifically on a platform to try to get not just the majority of seats, but the majority of votes to gain a mandate to secede (not to hold a referendum) because the Spanish state has said it will not accede to any demand for a referendum. They fell short of that sought mandate. The reason they ran a unity ticket was to avoid vote splintering and they still fell short.

2. Notice you have asked whether "the SNP" had a mandate, not "Scotland". The answer is of course that yes, they had a political mandate, but they very clearly didn't have a legal one until the UK Government consented to a section 30 Order, which they were well within their rights to refuse. The same is true of Catalonia. The Catalonian separatists (notice, they are not "Catalonia") have and had as far back as 2013 a mandate to negotiate with the Spanish Government in Madrid to try to get the right to hold a lawful referendum, but they don't have a mandate for anything beyond that.

Edited by Ad Lib

What are those constitutional requirements?

What are those constitutional requirements?

Legislation by the Cortes Generales to conform with the requirements of the Constitutional Court judgments of 2010, 2013, 2014 and 2015. We can throw-in the 2008 judgment in relation to the Basque Country that said the same thing too if you like.

In much the same way as for Scotland's referendum to be legal it had to be legislated for by the UK Parliament. In that instance of course, they choose to allow Scotland to hold a referendum pursuant to a political agreement reached between the governments, facilitated through a s30 Order ratified by both Parliaments.