Raith v Hibs

I thought it was weird people were howling at McKeown for coming infield while Hibs had the ball on the opposite side. That's a full back does, it's the basics. You're supporting / covering in the middle and if the guy on the ball wants to try the 50 yarder he can - you can get out there anyway, the 25% the time he can pull off the pass.

Conroy was a bit awkward in front of him at times (tucking in instead of looking for the ball down the line), but that guy is a smart player and would only be trying to play to instructions. It's not like he wouldn't know how to play in a flat 442. You'd be looking for width from Stewart ahead of him instead though.

The shape of the team was something a bit different, some thought and work has gone into that and we weren't too bad. The manager still failed on subs though - McKay should've been removed after one too many bad choices and careless giveaways, not Conroy who for me was good. At least Grantie is only going to go forwards and provides more of a challenge physically. We could have made a change to maintain our good momentum at 65 mins or so; even at 2-1 we still have a chance - instead we're unchanged and 3-1 down. Always too late. Does he need to see goals go in to see that it's no longer working?

For all that we had two up front on paper we weren't really in the faces of guys like Gray who really look capable of giving it away. Hibs look a threat on the counter and I'm not shocked if Murray preferred to have them play in front of us - but then why pay two forwards...

There's no doubt Hibs had the chances to win the match in the first 45, not solely because we're leaky but because they're all right up front as well. But in the good 20 mins we had at 1-1 we could have won as well. What a big chance Nade had. If he just calmly strokes that in we're looking decent - instead he tries to put the goals in the Forth, either through nerves or anger I don't know, and it's wildly wide. His assist was clinical though.

McKay and Scott infuriate me. McKay has enough pace and technique to be a real asset but would rather primary school dribble through more opponents than release a teammate. He only seems to consistently make the right choice is when he is our furthest forward player. But he was worse previously so maybe there's better to come.

Scott is perpetually looking for confrontation too - winning a header is obviously too much too ask if he has a chance to chest it and do three keepy ups before making the same inevitable pass.

On the other hand Callachan is a player, made a real contribution and should clearly have been starting games a long time ago.

Hibs looked good enough to get second or third in the league for most of the match, but if they make a habit of falling out of games like in the first 20mins of the 2nd half it'll be 4th. No complaints about the result.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stick that McKeown was getting for not man marking the man on the touchline was ridiculous. If he goes out there, not only is there an acre of space between him and Hill for Malonga/Cummings to exploit, there's also a much greater risk of the wide player knocking it past him and being able to drive into the box. There are some people in the South Stand (and every other stand across the country, I'm sure) who want every man man-marked, at all times.

A couple folk have mentioned that subbing Anderson on after we've gone 3-1 down is too late, but he might've made a difference at 2-1. He was called back to get stripped pretty much as soon as the second goal went in. I'm not sure what took so long to get him ready, but he was waiting to come on when the third went in. I would've liked to have seen him on before either goal (obviously) but Murray didn't (deliberately) wait until the game was dead before trying to get him on. Agree with those who would've had McKay off instead of Conroy, though.

I would be surprised if anyone was under the impression that Nade would be bagging 15 goals.

In theory Nade and Stewart would be pretty good front two but the two of them have just failed to properly gel, the same could also be said for all our strike combinations.

If we can only make one signing, I would look for it to be a striker in the mould of Baird.

Surely if you're a manager you must realise that replacing 10-15 goal forwards with 5-7 goal forwards is going to have a detrimental effect on the team?

Surely if you're a manager you must realise that replacing 10-15 goal forwards with 5-7 goal forwards is going to have a detrimental effect on the team?

Greig Spence has scored two league goals this season, in 1001 minutes on the park. Mark Stewart (970 minutes) and Christian Nade (938 minutes) have four each.

Edit: For further comparison, John Baird has three in 798 minutes. Two of them against us! In the league below, Gordon Smith has five in 1235 minutes, and in the league above, Brian Graham has felt like scoring five times, in 1005 minutes of football.

Calum Elliot is yet to score in the league this season, but he's only played 359 minutes. He does have one assist.

Spence has done well in the cups but, as noted, has only scored twice in the league. He was also rotten from October onward last season and his reversion to part-time football says it all for me - Murray got that one right and was correct to release him.

Baird is a different story and I honestly think he'd have done better than he has thus far at Queens if he'd stayed here. It was gutting to lose him, but he was offered a two year contract at a team closer to where he's based and who did a damn sight better than only win 3 of their last 20 league matches last season. Make no mistake: we miss him big time. He'd go a long way to providing some of that creative spark that we are missing from our midfield.

I was bemoaning the lack of a badge-kissing, fans favourite the other day, and Baird absolutely ticks those boxes too. I'm sure I saw somewhere that his missus is pregnant, and with Queens doing a lot of training in Glasgow, it certainly sounds like he made the right choice for himself. I think we would've had to throw real silly money at him to get him to stay. Who knows, maybe we did and he still felt like he wanted to be closer to home!

Greig Spence has scored two league goals this season, in 1001 minutes on the park. Mark Stewart (970 minutes) and Christian Nade (938 minutes) have four each.

Edit: For further comparison, John Baird has three in 798 minutes. Two of them against us! In the league below, Gordon Smith has five in 1235 minutes, and in the league above, Brian Graham has felt like scoring five times, in 1005 minutes of football.

Calum Elliot is yet to score in the league this season, but he's only played 359 minutes. He does have one assist.

As I mentioned, Elliot has been rubbish for a year, possibly due to injury. Even allowing for that, how many goals did he score for us in the first half of last season? We miss that Calum Elliot.

How many goals did Spence score in the couple of seasons he was with us? How many did Baird score?

Stewart and Nade don't look like adequate replacements at the moment, in terms of a goal threat.

As I mentioned, Elliot has been rubbish for a year, possibly due to injury. Even allowing for that, how many goals did he score for us in the first half of last season? We miss that Calum Elliot.

How many goals did Spence score in the couple of seasons he was with us? How many did Baird score?

Stewart and Nade don't look like adequate replacements at the moment, in terms of a goal threat.

Spence managed eleven league goals for us in 2012/13, scoring once every 181 minutes. Last season he scored nine in significantly less time on the park, 143 minutes per goal.

Last season, Baird scored seven league goals between January and the end of the year, but he was basically ever-present. A goal every 182 minutes. One of Baird's big strengths is the amount of football he plays. He's very consistent and doesn't pick up a lot of injuries or suspensions. In his two full seasons with us in his first spell, he only missed one league game. 2010/11 he scored 13 goals in 2861 minutes, at 220 minutes per goal. 2011/12 was 10 scored in 3008 minutes, or 300 minutes a goal.

As for our current players, I hadn't realised just quite how poor Elliot has been. He hasn't scored a single goal in the league this year. He's scored twice in 2014, both in the League Cup game against Forfar at the start of this season - one was a penalty. His last league goal was exactly a year ago today, when we drew 3-3 with Cowdenbeath.

Lewis Vaughan has the best minutes to goal ratio for this season, by virtue of playing 225 minutes and scoring once. Of the more prolific players, Nade is at 234 minutes per goal, and Stewart's on 242.

By way of comparison, QoS's Gavin Reilly is the top scorer in the league and has scored every 139 minutes so far. Liam Buchanan's second top and has scored every 150 minutes. Malonga, who scored Hibs third yesterday, has the third most goals, but he's got a massively impressive goal every 110 minutes. I think the only player with a better ratio is Hearts' James Keatings, who's scored 6 goals (half of them against us at Stark's) in 589, meaning he's played just 98 minutes for every goal he's scored.

Spence managed eleven league goals for us in 2012/13, scoring once every 181 minutes. Last season he scored nine in significantly less time on the park, 143 minutes per goal.

Last season, Baird scored seven league goals between January and the end of the year, but he was basically ever-present. A goal every 182 minutes. One of Baird's big strengths is the amount of football he plays. He's very consistent and doesn't pick up a lot of injuries or suspensions. In his two full seasons with us in his first spell, he only missed one league game. 2010/11 he scored 13 goals in 2861 minutes, at 220 minutes per goal. 2011/12 was 10 scored in 3008 minutes, or 300 minutes a goal.

As for our current players, I hadn't realised just quite how poor Elliot has been. He hasn't scored a single goal in the league this year. He's scored twice in 2014, both in the League Cup game against Forfar at the start of this season - one was a penalty. His last league goal was exactly a year ago today, when we drew 3-3 with Cowdenbeath.

Lewis Vaughan has the best minutes to goal ratio for this season, by virtue of playing 225 minutes and scoring once. Of the more prolific players, Nade is at 234 minutes per goal, and Stewart's on 242.

By way of comparison, QoS's Gavin Reilly is the top scorer in the league and has scored every 139 minutes so far. Liam Buchanan's second top and has scored every 150 minutes. Malonga, who scored Hibs third yesterday, has the third most goals, but he's got a massively impressive goal every 110 minutes. I think the only player with a better ratio is Hearts' James Keatings, who's scored 6 goals (half of them against us at Stark's) in 589, meaning he's played just 98 minutes for every goal he's scored.

How may goals did Elliot score for us before he chucked it? What was his goal/minute ratio up until Christmas last year?

He seemed to be doing well up to and including that 3-3 draw. Looked every inch the 10-15 goal a season forward we need. Since then, he's been useless. He's essentially a man down.

Archived