Smoking Ban in Cars.

Romeo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Phoenix

Good to see the smoking apologists out in full force.

See my post above.

I've nothing against smoking or smokers, I just don't agree with it in cars.

Good to see the smoking apologists out in full force.

I would never smoke in a car with non-smokers of any age, unless an adult on their own told me they weren't bothered. What annoys me are the phony statistics dressed as fact that they come out with to justify it. Any scientist or doctor who points out that they have no evidence for what they're claiming will be called a smoking apologist. BTW I have no problem with a ban on smoking in cars with children. Unless it's the children who light up first of course.

I would never smoke in a car with non-smokers of any age, unless an adult on their own told me they weren't bothered. What annoys me are the phony statistics dressed as fact that they come out with to justify it. Any scientist or doctor who points out that they have no evidence for what they're claiming will be called a smoking apologist. BTW I have no problem with a ban on smoking in cars with children. Unless it's the children who light up first of course.

How do you know they are phony stats?

How do you know they are phony stats?

First, they don't quote the source. Secondly they use the phrase "Research indicates", a sure tell that they've made it up. Thirdly they come up with exact numbers, 300,000 and 9,500. How can they be sure whether an individual lung problem, say, is caused by second hand smoke?

I just can't understand why anyone in this day and age would want to smoke at all.

How can something which pollutes your body with chemicals and makes your body and breath smell like an ashtray seem attractive.

I have to use public transport for work and the smell coming off smokers more than anyone else is f*****g disgusting.

Personally I would ban it altogether.

Someone has probably already stated this but if pressing a button on your sat nav or radio can get you stopped and fined by the police then why are smokers allowed to continue fumbling around for lighters and smoking whilst driving?

Can't be a civil liberties thing surely?

I just can't understand why anyone in this day and age would want to smoke at all.

How can something which pollutes your body with chemicals and makes your body and breath smell like an ashtray seem attractive.

I haven't smoked in over 20 years but a few nights back I was watching 'Casablanca' yet again. That scene where Humphrey Bogart lights the two cigarettes then hands one to Ingrid Bergman? Almost made me want to start up again.

Of course, then I remembered he died of lung cancer...

I hope you don't smoke throbber, that would upset me :(

Nah mate i never really got into it which i suppose can only be a good thing but had i been careless in my younger years i dare say i would have taken to it as i have a pretty addictive personality!

I had asthma for a spell too, and grew out of it after leaving home. None of my family smoked.

They were probably in contact with people who did - third hand smoke causes untold damage.

Guest The Phoenix
Its almost as if the powers that be don't want to see anyone smoking

Nah, they could just shut their eyes if it was that simple.

Leaving aside the "how would they police this?" debate, the fact this law is even considered necessary just boggles my mind. I just can't get my head around anyone thinking it was alright to do it in the first place.

It smacks of Clause 22 or whatever it was. A law to stop something that nobody was doing anyway ie. promoting homosexuality in schools. Any measure against smoking will get overwhelming support no matter the logic. And the police will have another excuse to invade our privacy.

As a novice driver and smoker I had a few hairy incidents with smoking and driving.

Once, I was heading with my girlfriend on a camping trip. I'd always have the window down and a fag on the go. Wind caught the fag and sent it flying into the back of the car with all the bedding, tents etc. It was like having Archie McPherson in the back seat - WOOFT

Another time I was labouring in Edinburgh as a summer job and driving a few of the boys from the site into town. I never noticed the end falling off my fag and landing in my lap. I got no sympathy as I screamed as my balls and driver seat burned as I negotiated the Leith Walk traffic.

Archived