Food Club - Your Recommended Recipes

Ludo*1

Probably a thread already on this and it's one that should be on here! So apologies if I've missed one from only a page or two back.

What's your favourite recipes? What's your speciality dish?

I know there is a 'Slow Cooker Club' on here, but I've not got the patience for that style of cooking! Could get a wee cook club on the go, pick a recipe each week/month have a crack at it and see how everyone gets on, or you could simply decide that that's sad as hell. Whatever, your life.

I'm not really a big cooker myself, and when the missus isn't cooking I usually serve something that's very bog standard so thought this thread could spark some inspiration and people can try recipes they've never came across and fancy.

Made a soup dish the other week, went with this since it was overtly easy to make:

Link.

Extremely easy to make and I'm very much into my spicy styles of food so thought it was worth a bash considering it didn't take much effort and only used the microwave. Didn't blend it either, as I very much prefer thick soups so it was more of a vegetarian chilli than anything else. If I make again, I'd probably include chicken.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love risotto - if you can chop an onion and some garlic, open a bottle of wine and boil the kettle then you can make something that tastes amazing without needing much in the way of cooking skills. Plus, a few thinly chopped red chillies chucked on the top to serve can keep you happy if you like spicy dishes.

This is a basic one but easy to mix it up. Leave out the saffron and use mushrooms, chicken and/or bacon. Pumpkin and sage is amazing too.

Also, the missus is a non cook but has made this sausage casserole a couple of times recently - house smells amazing from all the chilli and rosemary:

Sausage, chilli, rosemary, red wine casserole

Tomato Soup Casserole.

Dead easy Boxing day meal.

Fry off an onion and put in slow cooker

Add cubed left over turkey/chicken.

Par boil sliced potatoes and add

Add peas/sweetcorn if desired

Pour in two cans of tomato soup

Season, two oxo's salt pepper [whatever]

Cook on slow for about 5 hours [whilst you go for walk/pub/visiting/fitba golf]

Lovely, no fuss winter meal ready when you return

Tomato Soup Casserole.

Tipping tins of soup over left overs is not a recipe.

Made a turkey leek and ham pie on sunday. Boiled the ham in water with onion celery carrot garlic peppercorns coriander seed and Bay leaf. Sweated some onions and garlic in a pan then cooked the leeks in with it for about 20 mins until soft. Added the left over turkey, some of the ham, added some of the ham stock to the remnants of the turkey gravy and poured this in with leek/turkey/ham mix. Added a little cream, poured into roasting tray/pie dish and covered with puff pastry. Egg wash and around half an hour in the oven.

Basically Jamie Oliver pie recipe with added ham. Well tasty.

Started cooking macaroni and cheese which my partner absolutely loves.

Cook macaroni following packet instructions. Drain and rinse some cold water through it.

Melt some butter and fry up some sliced garlic and spring onions.

Chuck in two tbsp of flour and cook it out for a bit (minute or two) to get rid of some of the "flour-y" taste - don't burn!

Add in milk bit by bit, making sure to whisky thoroughly otherwise you'll have a lumpy sauce.

Once all the milk has been incorporated, the sauce should be velvety and thick (but not too much) as the cheese will make it even thicker.

When adding cheese, make sure pan is off the heat as it can make the cheese really really stringy. I like a mix of gruyere + cheddar.

Stir in some nutmeg and thyme.

Mix in pasta and transfer to an overproof dish.

Heat grill. Sprinkle some cheese on top and leave in grill until it all melts. Serve with some white wine.

Cheap, filling and delicious.

Tomato Soup Casserole.

Has to be savoured in an air shelter circa 1943 to be fully appreciated.

You should have got his book on cake decoration, it would have come in handy skill transfer wise when you did your bathroom.

I might as well have replaced the silicone with a thick jus for all the good I reckon its going to do.

Archived