Speed up laptop not used for a while

G-MAN

Just logged into an old netbook for the first time in a while. Any advice on what to do in regard to updates, up to date internet explorer etc and speeding up the damn thing !

Cheers

Not using Internet explorer would be a start. Try chrome . Check your control panel to get rid of any programs you're not using aswell

This. To be honest, I wouldnt bother running any updates, theyre not going to speed up your system.

Defrag the hard drive, as long as its not an SSD, delete programmes and check out whats starting up on boot and clean that up.

Alternatively, and a bit more drastic, re-install windows

Off the top of my head, this is what I would do.

1. delete all unnecessary programs and software
2. defrag the hard drive
3. sort out your start up options, the less the better
4. run multiple malware and virus scanners
5. run something like C Cleaner to get rid of unneeded junk and backup files, its much better than Disk Cleanup that comes with windows
6. optional (depending on browsing habits!) get rid of virus protection software especially if it has expired, usually slows up a PC a lot and if you don't need it why have it?

Off the top of my head, this is what I would do.

1. delete all unnecessary programs and software

2. defrag the hard drive

3. sort out your start up options, the less the better

4. run multiple malware and virus scanners

5. run something like C Cleaner to get rid of unneeded junk and backup files, its much better than Disk Cleanup that comes with windows

6. optional (depending on browsing habits!) get rid of virus protection software especially if it has expired, usually slows up a PC a lot and if you don't need it why have it?

It would be far less hassle to back up any essential files and do a format and reinstall of Windows.

Archived