Rangers v Dumbarton

It actually reached Scotland via Whithorn in Dumfries and Galloway Bennett. You're a terribly ignorant person, aren't you?

Really? I thought it was Saint Columba at Iona that brought Christianity to Scotland.

Bloody Irish immigrants. All they do is harp on about their religions

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to lose in this one with a nice wee points cushion from those at the bottom. An opposition managed by the hapless McDowell and a sub 20k attendance should not exactly be intimidating so if we go for it we should be able to get a result here.

I reckon the crowd will be below 15k unless there are developments during the week and that seems unlikely.

Even with all Rangers' issues the overwhelming weight of history is against us here. Having said that, if we play the team as opposed to the badge then we could make this into a contest. I would also hope that the presence of Turner and Kane will make a difference.

I will attend as I don't think I'll have a better chance of seeing us get a result at Ibrox. Rangers will be hurting after the stuffing from Hibs but they will relish the opportunity to avenge their record home league defeat, 0-6 from the Sons on May 4th 1892.

Even a draw would be acceptable; they're only one of two Championship teams that we haven't taken any points from, QoTS being the other.

After the recent events surrounding the Rangers - both on and off field - this would probably be our best chance to get any points at Ibrox.

What's the deal with tickets for Sons fans? Do we need to get them from the club?

Aye, been available for a few weeks. Would check what the festive opening hours are before you take a jaunt down. I'm sure I heard someone advising folk to get down tomorrow and pick one up.

Last time was a bit of a shite experience for a number of reasons but no chance I'm missing this. I'd never forgive myself if we ended up getting a result and I wasn't there. This is probably our best chance since the 19th century.

Aye, been available for a few weeks. Would check what the festive opening hours are before you take a jaunt down. I'm sure I heard someone advising folk to get down tomorrow and pick one up.

Last time was a bit of a shite experience for a number of reasons but no chance I'm missing this. I'd never forgive myself if we ended up getting a result and I wasn't there. This is probably our best chance since the 19th century.

I was there for the 0-0 draw on 20/10/84. Tam Coyle nearly stole it for us in the last minute, but forgetting it was Peter McCloy in goals, he went for the top corner rather than the bottom, and McCloy saved. If he'd gone for the bottom corner, McCloy would just have been hitting the ground round about now.

Really? I thought it was Saint Columba at Iona that brought Christianity to Scotland.

Bloody Irish immigrants. All they do is harp on about their religions

Columba is guilty of spreading the nonsense, but they reckon Ninian pre-dated him in bringing it here.

A lot of confidence from Sons fans and whilst I understand why that is I think we need to be wary of the fact we're yet to score a goal against Rangers, never mind taking a point or three. We're in decent form but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for a victory here. I agree it's encouraging for us to hear Kenny Miller say they have no belief, something we have an abundance of but at the end of the day if Rangers decide to turn up there's only one outcome here.

I just hope we dont sit in and lump it long to Nish all day.

Is the record against Rangers because of who you're playing though? We've seen examples of teams bottling it, but it's happening less and surely Dumbarton fans are right to feel that, if they take the game to this team, then they can beat them.

I certainly can't see any reason for confidence to be lacking.

I'm confident in our players to get something, I'm not so confident in our management team allowing them to play the way that will get us something. Muzz has sat in and defended against the big 3 except for 45 minutes against Hibs when we were 3 down. We've taken a point from Hearts and a point from Hibs, both 0-0. If we set up like that and Rangers get the first goal it's game over.

What's the deal with tickets for Sons fans? Do we need to get them from the club?

Collect from the club. Stadium is open today and tomorrow 9:30-3:30 and Wednesday 9:30-12.

After vowing not to return after our last visit there, I'm going down later to collect five tickets. It's a horrible day out but the bottom line is we have a good chance of taking something on Saturday and if that happens I want to be there to see it.

We need to set up 4-4-2 and get stick into them from the first minute. I'd expect their better players to be off in the January window so they probably won't fancy a physical contest that could risk injury. All the more reason for an early crunching tackle or two.

Nish probably warrants his starting place given his performance last Saturday (first time I've said that this season) but we need a fully fit Turner, Graham and Kane if we're to have a genuine chance. Will also be interesting to see how the goalkeeper situation develops through the week.

The previous games against Rangers have had other factors. In August we had lost 0-4 the week before to QOS and 1-3 to Raith, hardly the best preparation. The last league game (0-3) was when Rangers were beginning to hit some form and we were without Kane and Turner whilst a week later we deserved to take something with a very makeshift team. Before those games we also had the run of Hearts and Hibs away.

We aren't favourites, but this is our best opportunity so far this season.

Archived