Omnishambles v Airdrieonians

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have got that a bit wrong, my friend.

The club would not exist without the Douglas Rae.

Be careful what you wish for.

The club's not going to exist much longer with the Raes either. Nobody's wishing for that, other than the morons who happy clap his every move.

The club would not have survived in the past without Douglas Rae, but as we plummet further into the mire of debt and seaside humiliation, it seems clear that the reign of Rae cannot continue for much longer.

It's happening anyway. Like many, I doubt if I'll watch this for much longer. I regret having my season ticket. Won't make the same mistake again.

What would Morton Fans prefer to Rae ownership? Club to be owned by the supporters?

I shudder at the thought.

As these forums show the support are not a terribly harmonious bunch. Boardroom battles would be of the sort to rival those of Sevco.

Hard to tell what would be the better option.

McKee needs an old head beside him. A Hardie type player will see his game improve dramatically like what happened with Tidser.

No, McKee needs to be dropped and never return. Tidser improved immeasurably with an experienced player beside him because Tidser always had the technical ability to be a great player at our level: he just needed to improve his the mental side of his game in terms of positioning, decision making etc. He could always play a tremendous pass, he could always beat a man despite his lack of pace, he could always hit a good shot.

McKee can do none of those things, an experienced player beside him will not improve him. He's simply not a good player and people need to accept this.

How exactly would Morton get on without Rae? Who would actually take over? Sound like inane Newcastle fans in wanting a guy who has bankrolled them out but really there is no one else who would do it.

He hasn't bankrolled us though: he's mismanaged us to more than £2 million of debt with another six figures being added every year. I don't know what the solution is without Rae, but with him the debt is going to grow and grow with no indication of where it's going to stop. The survival of the club is seriously threatened and he's doing nothing about it.

If we spend money on players without getting rid of Duffy, he will use his vast array of contacts to sign more players the calibre of Ricki Lamie and Stefan McCluskey so that would be even more futile than sacking him. It's still a bad state of affairs, but having a decent manager with an utterly shite squad is preferable to having an apocalyptically shite manager with an utterly shite squad.

Lamie couldn't get anywhere near our first team, he came in at first and looked decent but was loaned out several times to League 2 and Junior sides before being freed. I was amazed Morton signed him and stunned to see he was getting a game.

A 2 year contract? Oh dear!

Lamie couldn't get anywhere near our first team, he came in at first and looked decent but was loaned out several times to League 2 and Junior sides before being freed. I was amazed Morton signed him and stunned to see he was getting a game.

Not as stunned and amazed as we are. :(

ETA: He only got 6 months, but tha'ts just been topped up another 6 months. Embarrassing stuff.

Lamie is only signed for this season, unless you're referring to Duffy's 2 year deal?

Is that REALLY a fact my friend?

Would we REALLY have gone to the wall or is it possible that the consortium might just have pulled us through - AND - had that happened, where would we be now?

There are many many genuine Ton fans who currently wish for the absence of Rae erselickers! :wub:

I think this thread demonstrates the confused logic that all football fans are guilty of.

While apparently Rae has racked up £2 million (millions tee hee) of debt, some think the answer is to go out and buy 4 players.

We were exactly the same at the start of this season when we were honking. But is it not the case that there's not much between all the teams at this level and that the difference between success and failure can be as little as getting a good loanee in (Gasparotto, Fraser, McManus)?

A couple of good signings and a run like we've just had and you might yet win the league.

On the other hand, if you all continue to berate your manager and players, they might all bet on Airdrie to finish above them and not try a leg... that seems a bit far-fetched though.

I think this thread demonstrates the confused logic that all football fans are guilty of.

While apparently Rae has racked up £2 million (millions tee hee) of debt, some think the answer is to go out and buy 4 players.

We were exactly the same at the start of this season when we were honking. But is it not the case that there's not much between all the teams at this level and that the difference between success and failure can be as little as getting a good loanee in (Gasparotto, Fraser, McManus)?

A couple of good signings and a run like we've just had and you might yet win the league.

On the other hand, if you all continue to berate your manager and players, they might all bet on Airdrie to finish above them and not try a leg... that seems a bit far-fetched though.

We've sent Crawford back to Rangers, McManus has gone back to Aberdeen, and McNeil and Allan haven't had their contracts renewed. So in terms of new signings for the most part we're looking at replacements - it's just a pity that Lamie was given a new deal.

The biggest expense would be getting rid of Duffy, because we stupidly gave him a 2 year deal. I don't think the squad is too far away, but with Duffy insisting on building a team around McKee and Barrowman it's difficult to see how we're going to improve.

I think the big problem Morton fans are struggling with is that Rae is allowing us to live beyond our means, but he isn't writing off the debt, and he's spending that money on a Duffy full time regime (which is a waste of money - and we've been very good at wasting money over the years).

BTW, I think you're conflating the different complaints of different Morton fans to an extent.

How exactly would Morton get on without Rae? Who would actually take over? Sound like inane Newcastle fans in wanting a guy who has bankrolled them out but really there is no one else who would do it.

We'd most likely have to take another trip down administration lane, and struggle to get out of the other side as a club at least attempting to operate a sustainable and tight budget. Rae is far from the only local businessman in the area though, and there is no reason why shares in Morton would be massively less appealing to such figures than they were for decades prior to Rae taking over almost the entire holding. There is quite clearly no easy way out of the current mess.

But the crucial point is this: humming and hawing while Rae racks up another £1 million worth of debt - three years' losses - to his disinterested sprogs isn't a credible strategy. There is no prospect of breaking even given his disastrous set of decisions: the latest accounts will almost certainly show an increased loss, to around £400k or worse for last season's shambles. The club is being further run into the ground under Rae's ownership and each year reduces the club's chances of survival.

We'd most likely have to take another trip down administration lane, and struggle to get out of the other side as a club at least attempting to operate a sustainable and tight budget. Rae is far from the only local businessman in the area though, and there is no reason why shares in Morton would be massively less appealing to such figures than they were for decades prior to Rae taking over almost the entire holding. There is quite clearly no easy way out of the current mess.

But the crucial point is this: humming and hawing while Rae racks up another £1 million worth of debt - three years' losses - to his disinterested sprogs isn't a credible strategy. There is no prospect of breaking even given his disastrous set of decisions: the latest accounts will almost certainly show an increased loss, to around £400k or worse for last season's shambles. The club is being further run into the ground under Rae's ownership and each year reduces the club's chances of survival.

In times like these, we need a Supporters' Trust.

Archived