Willie collum

Where are you with him? Consistently abysmal is where I am with him.

Yet another match he's had a heavy influence in the result. Must be about the 20th time this season.

He's having a shocker this season, of course he is. Generally having watched him since he became a high profile ref I've thought he's the best of the lot.

It's hard to explain, but I trust him to make an unbiased call and not be influenced by the crowd or potential fall out from a decision. He will call something as he sees it, despite the controversy it may cause. I think a lot of the other refs take the path of least resistance.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes things aren't as black and white as a red card is a red card.

There are refs out there who try and give the game every chance. They are usually the best refs.

There are refs out there who can't wait to send a player off. They are usually the worst refs.

I presume you applauded Howard Webb when he didn't send off the Dutch guy that time? A red card offence is always a red card, and it is indeed that black or white, or indeed as red or yellow.

Collina is seen as the best ref of all time. He always let the game flow to the best of his ability and within the rules.

Football at the end of the day is about entertainment. Too many refs follow the rule book to a T when a bit of common sense would avert any problems.

Not saying that in this case as I've not seen it, but I mean generally speaking. Willie Collum whilst sticking to the rule book (Hence why he's loved by UEFA) has absolutely zero common sense.

Craig Thomson makes some truly, truly bizarre decisions but I like the fact he at least attempts to make the game flow rather than make the show all about him. He's not the best ref going and it's the wrong time to compare Thomson to Collum considering the media attention Thomson has (deservedly) gotten over the past week with his performance but I hope I've kinda conveyed what I'm trying to get at!

Referees get accused of not showing common sense and of not being consistent. Can't have it both ways.

Willie Collum got the call spot on. For once.

Not sure if this is totally up to date, but it's there or thereabouts.

http://guardian.touch-line.com/?CTID=16&CPID=17&pStr=Comp_Referees&t=5

That's not including his cup exploits.

Hes got one of the lowest ratios of yellow cards per game, and the fourth highest ratio of red cards per game. So he's nowhere near the most card happy.

• 1 month later...

Archived