Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point about Tyson is that he is appearing in Hollywood blockbuster movies and seen as a boxing legend.

Eta: to everyone that replied I did indeed know that he was In jail.

What exactly is your point?

Tyson was banned from entering the UK last year of his rape conviction

You also are aware we have no control over another national hiring him to appear in a movie?

You also are aware we have no control over another national hiring him to appear in a movie?

Surely the folk who think that Evans shouldn't work in the entertainment business due to it being a "priveliged position" think the same about Tyson? And if that's the case, why weren't they protesting about cinemas showing a film with him in it? Why were there no petitions to Odeon or Cineworld?

Surely the folk who think that Evans shouldn't work in the entertainment business due to it being a "priveliged position" think the same about Tyson? And if that's the case, why weren't they protesting about cinemas showing a film with him in it? Why were there no petitions to Odeon or Cineworld?

This.

The Tyson incident seems much more brutal to, absolutely clear cut.

Again, I need to point out, we have zero control over who is hired in another nation.

The Tyson argument just reeks of desperation from the defenders of Evans.

The vast majority of people know that he is a detestable convicted rapist.

Hypocritical Sheffield Utd patron Charlie Webster doesn't think so. She threatened to quit as patron of the club if they re-signed Evans yet tweeted how she chickened out of asking Tyson for a photo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2798191/rapist-footballer-ched-evans-sister-war-words-sky-sports-news-presenter-saying-quit-role-sheffield-united-sign-disgraced-striker.html

Again, I need to point out, we have zero control over who is hired in another nation.

No ones defending what he did. Nobody. It was scummy. But looking at the incident and the case notes I don't think he's deserved as much as this, a nationwide witch hunt against the guy which is effectively totally fucked him in whatever he now wants to do, he's served his time, let him get on with his life.

I can understand why clubs do not want to sign him however but for some reason it's ok for all other criminals to return to playing/acting in movies etc but not ok for Evans, bit hypocritical.

He hasn't "served his time" ffs. Round and round we go.

Also find the Tyson analogy more than a little clumsy. Tyson wasn't employed by Odeon or Cineworld or a UK national.

They let him out. Does it matter who he was employed by? Or what nationality he is?

I think the thing that matters is the massive massive difference in the way the 2 are treated and viewed by the public. Oldham chairman on TV there looked genuinely gutted that he was forced to cancel his contract.

He might be employed in another nation, but he'll presumably take a cut of the earnings of the film, which means that UK customers going to see the film will have be putting money into his pocket.

You seem to be struggling to differentiate between people being "defenders of Evans", and people being critical of the hypocrisy shown by those who are arguing against the guy. I can think he's a complete scumbag and yet still think that many of the arguments being used against him don't hold much water. It's a bit like me voting Yes in the independence referendum, but still not agreeing with every single argument coming out of the Yes campaign.

Who are you to decide whether he has "served his time" or not?

What has Tyson not being a UK national got to do with anything? Surely all rapists are scum regardless of nationality.

He hasn't. He is on parole and can be recalled. Even after this his sentence period is complete there will be conditions that affect employment.

This is some argument, both sides are wrong.

I ran my fingers under the words, it reads to me that he thinks you're wrong as well.

So you realise I didn't want to arbitrarily decide when he's "served his time" but was referring to his parole period and this is why I quoted that section of your post? Slowly but surely, but you got there, well done Milesy.

Archived