Elgin City vs Clyde

Think it is more difficult to solve than " tear down a wall" it is an £86 million pound flood prevention scheme.

It isn't really I'm afraid. It's the wall that's caused it and I know the prevention scheme is a work in progress which as you've pointed out aint cheap. At a time when councils' budgets are tight, anything that's going to add to that cost isn't going to be looked upon too favourably - such as amending the work already done.

You haven't seen much in the way of rain since Thursday morning and that wind yesterday would usually dry a lot out. You'll have blue skies all today & tomorrow, and possibly being close to the sea lessens frost. If that game tomorrow is called off due to a water logged pitch, your club's got a serious problem that's going to take more than a few weeks to sort out. I know they're already at the early stages of considering a ground share just to fulfil their home fixtures if this goes on much longer

You're in danger of your council giving Clyde, Montrose & East Stirling a massive "Get Out of Jail Free" card

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a couple of snow showers over the last few hours which won't help. Inspection is around 4pm apparently

Dont think ther many artifical pitches up

north would have thought it might be an option?

I see the reason is a waterlogged pitch & that's got little or nothing to do with the weather this week

If Elgin don't get this sorted out in the next couple of weeks, & I doubt they will, I think they're in trouble unless they can organize a groundshare very quickly

Dont think ther many artifical pitches up

north would have thought it might be an option?

Certainly, the Highland League is the only league in Scotland without a single artificial surface.

These 4 consecutive home postponements - and who knows, there could be more, it's only mid-January - could do 1 of 2 things for Elgin, IMO.

They could be a positive. Hit good form between late February and late March/early April, playing Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue, and bag lots of points.

They could also be negative. Fail to hit good form, or find that the volume of games simply becomes too much, and could be trapdoor bound.

SFL (as was) only started moving Brechin games as a last resort, IIRC, when they had run-out of midweeks. Obviously it does pervert the league. But equally, if Boroughbriggs is permanently knackered they've got a problem.

Where might Elgin move games too? Would SPFL approve HL venues and Elgin could tour the local area depending what HL clubs were away each week? ICT? Peterhead? EDIT: Actually a lot of Peterhead's home games clash, anyway, unfortunately.

Also, whether the new ground - if grass - would cope with an 'influx' of additional games. Nearest artificial surface in any kind of stadium context is Banks o'Dee in Aberdeen, IIRC.

To me this allows a false economy. If Elgin manage to get their park sorted, they will undoubtably have a logistical advantage over all the part time teams in the division for the midweek games. Even currently they are benefitting from having every second week off.

Think it is more difficult to solve than " tear down a wall" it is an £86 million pound flood prevention scheme.

Don't know what your definition of an"absolute shambles of a club" is but from what I read on hear that to me would describe Clyde perfectly.

The quote was 'absolute disaster of a place'. It's very apt. Maybe you're getting a bit excited about all this attention from a big club. Also probably the first Elgin match thread to make 3 pages. Once again BC finds the wool-pullers out.

I would rather the games played on saturday's because i cant make midweek games because of work. I think the board should be looking at switching our next few home games away if things are not sorted in the next few weeks. We dont have another home game until 7th February but its something they should be thinking about.

I would rather the games played on saturday's because i cant make midweek games because of work. I think the board should be looking at switching our next few home games away if things are not sorted in the next few weeks. We dont have another home game until 7th February but its something they should be thinking about.

Suppose it would make a sense, however how would the League and other clubs view this ?

Could be argued that if you have a glut of home games (having switched away games) at the end of the season, this might give your club an advantage in the race to avoid the dreaded bottom spot.

Archived